5.0 out of 5 stars More great recipes!
Published 7 months ago by H. Burnett

3.0 out of 5 stars Yummy stuff, tuck in
Pros - range of meals, simple recipes, really tasty dishes

Cons - the recipes not always clear enough for cooking idiots, kindle version lacks decent contents page that allows you to jump straight to recipes

What I like about this cookbook is that it isn't about being on a diet, it just offers healthy and tasty meals. I am also impressed by the...
Published 7 months ago by Jakeisthecoolest

5.0 out of 5 stars More great recipes!, 21 Sep 2013
H. Burnett "hjb509" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hairy Dieters Eat for Life: How to Love Food, Lose Weight and Keep it Off for Good! (Hairy Bikers) (Paperback)
Loving the recipes in this book and I am really pleased to see in this book it gives you prep times and cook times so you have an idea of how long they will take which is missing from the first book. So far all recipes have been a hit with family ( and I have some fussy ones! ). From Indian to Chinese and good old British recipes they are all covered an along with some family fav's. Would highly recommend this book as it a great way to cook from scratch and include lots of fruit and veg in a tasty way ( having eaten some diet recipes these are far better ).

5.0 out of 5 stars Losing weight is a pleasure with the Hairy Dieters!, 15 Aug 2013
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have lost 2 1/2 stones using the recipes from the first Hairy Dieters book and I have never enjoyed my food so much. I eat delicious meals every day, but I have tried them all so have been desperately awaiting this new book and I am not disappointed!

The recipes in this book are amazing and I can't wait to try them ALL! To give you an idea of what you get I'll list the headings and then pick out some of the most appetising recipes.

BREAKFAST & BRUNCH - Fluffy Banana Pancakes, Light Kedgeree

REAL FOOD FAST - 5 Minute Pizza, Chicken Fajitas, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Crispy Pork Schnitzel with Potato Salad

FAMILY FAVOURITES - Pan Haggerty Light, Mince & Veg Pie with Tumbled Spuds, All in One Spicy Pork and Rice

MEALS WITH MATES - Chicken Provencal, Meatloaf with Spicy Tomato Sauce, Beef Goulash, Beef Stroganoff

MORE FAB FAKEAWAYS - (my personal favourites) Chicken Bhuna, Chicken Biryani, Dieter's Doner Kebabs

FOOD FROM AFAR - Moussaka,Enchiladas

MEALS ON THE MOVE -lots of delicious looking soups, Cornish Pasty

SNACKS & SALADS - Sweet n Savoury Popcorn, Gazpacho

SOMETHING SWEET - Warm Nectarine Tart, Light chocolate Mousse with Raspberries

ALONG SIDES - various rices, mash, jacket potatoes and pastas

These are just some of the recipes in this amazing book and will be my first choices but there are loads more. Like the last book, the recipes are all simple to follow and easy to find all the ingredients and sound absolutely delicious because they are packed full of flavoursome ingredients.

The book is beautifully illustrated too and shows what most of the dishes should look like. I also just love Si and Dave's patter and it is up to its usual standard here plus they give you lots of personal tips and advice on how to shift the pounds.

I've already ;ost over 2 stone using the boys' last book and I can't wait to get rid of the last 2 stone mixing recipes from both books. I have tried to diet most of my adult life and never stuck to it but this is a way of life for me now and it is due to their amazingly delicious recipes and their inspiration as I'm into food in a big way, like them, so figured if they could do it, I could too.

I honestly can't recommend this book highly enough. The last one has literally changed my life. I look forward to every meal time now and I have never enjoyed food so much yet I am slowly and steadily losing weight, all thanks to the Hairy Dieters. They also have an online support group. I promise you will not be disappointed with these recipes (how tasty they are and how easy) or by the results ie the weightloss. It is quite literally the best money I have ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite!, 12 Sep 2013
This is a great book, even has recipes in that my fussy "I don't like green stuff" husband is happy to eat. The lamb tagine from the first diet book has become a frequent favourite and there are recipes in this one that are set to do the same. A book that delivers wonderful healthy eating without being preachy, and with a huge helping of Hairy Bikers humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook book, 13 Sep 2013
Very good book,easy to cook recipes. Informative diet tips given with North East humour. Would recommend it to everyone who likes good food but needs to watch the calories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb follow-up to the original Hairy Dieters book, 17 Aug 2013
Mrs. E. Preval "mpreval" (Middlesbrough) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Following from the success of the Hairy Dieters first book, the Hairy Bikers' have released this, a follow-up to the original book. I watched the Hairy Dieters TV show and thoroughly enjoyed it. Seeing Si and Dave lose so much weight was inspirational because having watched all of their TV shows I know how much they loved their food so it must have been incredibly hard for them to cut out the things they loved the most. The success of the TV show clearly inspired a whole host of people to purchase the first book and start losing weight by following the recipes and tips that the boys provided. It was only natural then, given the success of the first book that a second book would be released in due course and here it is. My copy of the first book is looking pretty scruffy with food stains littered across the pages such has been the regularity with which I return to it. There are numerous diet books out there and whilst I wouldn't claim to have any knowledge about how the recipes in them taste, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the recipes in the first Hairy Dieters book were not only healthy but tasty to boot so when I discovered that they were bringing out a second book I awaited its release with anticipation.

Now going on to this second book, the first thing I would say is that having flicked through it I believe that the recipes in this book are even more appealing than in the first book. Like I said, I cooked a lot from the first book but I can see this one getting used even more than the first book. The food looks really appealing in the beautiful photos, with simple instructions meaning that you will be able to produce simple yet tasty and healthy food with the minimum of fuss. Like the first book each recipe has the number of calories per portion noted below the recipe title. The recipes do not call for obscure ingredients that can only be found if you live in a large city. All of the ingredients should be easily available in your local supermarket. I can't see many of these recipes costing that much to produce either, something which is very important in these tough economic times.

If you have the first Hairy Dieters book I would highly recommend that you purchase this book too. If you haven't yet purchased the first book I would urge you to buy that along with this one. Now that I have both of the books it means I have an extended range of recipes ot call on, meaning that I can produce meals from both books without repeating the same recipe two weeks later. I can see myself and my family enjoying the recipes in this book for years to come and I know that by following the recipes to the letter I will be able to enjoy guilt-free, tasty food without having to worry about my waistline.

The book is divided into the following chapters:

Breakfast & Brunch
Meals on the Move
Snacks & Salads
Something Sweet
Along Sides

There is also a section listing a whole host of things that you can eat for 100 calories.

Below you will find all of the recipes contained within this book listed by chapter. I do hope this proves useful in helping you to decide whether or not this is a book that you would be interested in.

Breakfast & Brunch:
Poached egg, smoked salmon and spinach
Fluffy banana pancakes
Banana and pecan porridge
Bircher muesli
Home-made muesli
Porridge with spiced plums
Scrambled egg with bacon and mushrooms
Wakey wakey breakfast salad
Good morning smoothie
Light kedgeree
Banana and sultana muffins

Real Food Fast:
Five-minute pizza
Creamy haddock with broccoli
Baked fish with chorizo crust
Turkey burgers and chips
Fast chicken fajitas
Quick chicken cordon bleu
Sausages and rich onion gravy
Argentinian-style steak with onion and radish salad
Spicy lamb steaks with tabbouleh
Crispy pork schnitzel with potato salad

Family Favourites:
Home-made fishcakes
Fisherman's pie with leeky mash
Pan haggerty lite
Veggie bean burgers
Speedy chicken and vegetable pot pies
Easy chicken bake
Liver and bacon with onion gravy
Mince and vegetable pie with tumbled spuds
One-pan lamb roast with gravy
All-in-one spicy pork and rice
Roast beef and gravy

Meals with Mates:
Tuna with ratatouille
Chicken Provençal
Moroccan-style chicken with vegetable couscous
Meatloaf with spicy tomato sauce
Low-fat beef ravioli with tomato sauce
Beef goulash

Dieter's doner kebabs
Fiery beef madras

Food From Afar:
Light chicken satay
Chicken tagine with preserved lemons
Thai beef salad
Shredded duck wraps with hoisin sauce
Moussaka
Enchiladas

Meals on the Move:
A big soup
Split pea soup with ham
Curried butternut squash and apple soup
Low-fat Cornish pasty

Sweet and savoury popcorn
St Clement's squash
Crunchy vegetable sticks
Creamed pesto dip
Soured cream and chive dip
Gazpacho
Asparagus wrapped in parma ham
Grapefruit, avocado and bacon salad
Chickpea, hot-smoked salmon and pomegranate salad
Tuna salad with red onions and beans

Something Sweet:
Fresh fruit trifles
Spiced apple cake
Very berry fool
Warm nectarine tart
Low-fat fruit tea loaf
Light chocolate mousse with raspberries
Apple and blackberry cornflake crumble
Chocolate, orange and cranberry biscotti

Along Sides:
Creamy mash
Champ
Mustard mash
Lower-cal colcannon
Tune nicoise filled jacket potatoes
Cheesy beans filled jacked potatoes
Creamy coleslaw filled jacket potatoes
Prawn cocktail filled jacket potatoes
Broccoli pasta
Prawn pasta salad
Tagliatelle carbonara
Spicy bacon and tomato pasta

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy dieters eat for life, 13 Sep 2013
This book is really good. All the recipes are very clear and well written.
The photographs have been taken beautifully .
I have made several of these recipes and they are very easy to make and it is sometimes very hard to think that these lovely meals are well thought up and good for you .
It's a brilliant book and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the skinny boys are back!, 28 Aug 2013
My daughter has lost a lot of weight with these recipes in the last book and she always raves about it so thought I'd buy this. I've tried a few of the dishes and they are really easy and tasty ; you would never ever think they were slimming. I agree this must be the easiest way to lose weight. Great book

5.0 out of 5 stars As Brilliant as the First Book., 15 Aug 2013
I've made a lot of recipes from the hairy dieters first book and some have become our firm favourites. I just needed more! I'm so pleased they have written this second book full of more recipes.

The hard work of ensuring everything is low fat using ingredients such as Crème Fraiche etc.; then taking away some of this by replacing it with water and getting the correct blend of herbs and spices for taste has been done for us. I first used their curry recipe and gave it to my family for dinner, after we'd eaten it, I told them it was a low fat version. They had enjoyed it just as much and had no idea (and were surprised) that the fat content was replaced. We've always used that recipe since, and in this second book there are plenty more curry recipes to choose from.

Eat For Life is laid out simply, clearly and with a picture of each meal.
Chapters are:
SNACKS & SALADS
SOMETHING SWEET
ALONG SIDES
WHAT YOU GET FOR 100 CALORIES

Those sections include recipes such as Family Favourites, Something Sweet such as Nectarine Tart or Chocolate, Orange & Cranberry Biscotti.
Meals with Mates including Moroccan-style Chicken with Vegetable Coucous or Beef Stoganoff and another section on more Fab Fakeaways - with lots of different curries, Chinese food, Egg fried rice, Doner kebabs, Jerk Chicken etc. Real Fast FOOD includes dishes: 5 Minute Pizza, Fast Chicken Fajitas+ more. Family Favourites include: Pan Haggity Lite, Veggie Bean Burgers, Liver & Bacon with Onion gravy (looks delicious), Spicy Pork & Rice and so on.

There's also new sections such as 'Along Sides' that accompany your meal such as rice, pasta and potatoes in various ways, so you can make them along with one of the main dishes and still know how much you are eating health wise. There's a new section called 'What you get for 100 calories' which is a list of other food, snacks or drinks that you may want to have alongside whatever you are eating - wherever.

The Tuna Salad with Red Onions & Beans was lovely and the Low Fat Fruit Tea Loaf is really moist.

If you've been thinking about buying one of the Hairy Bikers Dieters books, I'd highly recommend both books. If you have the first book, you will want the second. Si and Dave have expanded on the first book giving us so much good choice and plenty of variety making meals that were once calorie laden healthy and taste absolutely delicious!

P.S. It's really nice having something sweet after the main course and after making the nectarine tart (only 173 calories)I wondered why I hadn't thought of such as simple idea with the filo pastry. Still having nectarines over, I made a slightly different version adding raspberries and omitting the marzipan. I shall now be adjusting this by varying it with perhaps apples & raisins etc whilst keeping an eye on the calories. I may be able to lose a few pounds now I've found something sweet to satisfy me after a meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars love reading marsy, 5 Sep 2013

BREAKFAST & BRUNCH - Fluffy Banana Pancakes, Light Kedgeree

FOOD FROM AFAR - Moussaka,Enchiladas

MEALS ON THE MOVE -lots of delicious looking soups, Cornish Pasty

SNACKS & SALADS - Sweet n Savoury Popcorn, Gazpacho

SOMETHING SWEET - Warm Nectarine Tart, Light chocolate Mousse with Raspberries

ALONG SIDES - various rices, mash, jacket potatoes and pastas

5.0 out of 5 stars great second book, 2 Sep 2013
Joined a slimming group recently and this book is great help to find low fat recipes that taste GREAT. Thanks again Dave and Si....another brill book to help us lost weight and eat great food. :)

ARRAY(0xa6a2993c)