5.0 out of 5 stars cheap and easy
Published 19 months ago by Coco

2.0 out of 5 stars neither quick nor simple
I got several student cookbooks out of the library to check out for a relative living away from home for the first time because the recipes in most cookbooks are not tested (yes, this is a well-kept secret).

Published 16 months ago by D&D

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap and easy, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Ultimate Student Cookbook: Cheap, Fun, Easy, Tasty Food (Student Beans) (Paperback)
If you are completely inept in the kitchen (which I am) - this book is really useful. It had a section at the start which tells you the basics of cooking. No one ever tells you HOW to make a white sauce - just that you need to and it's really easy 'How come you don't know'... This book tells you all the basics alongside lots of great recipes, and they are cheap! I especially like the 'crowd pleasers' section. We can eat as a house, save money (and washing up) - and it's easy to make! Ticks all the boxes. Bellissimo!

2.0 out of 5 stars neither quick nor simple, 6 Dec. 2013
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

I graded them as if looking for easy lunchtime dishes I would want to make for myself. Nosh for Students looks OK but has very British recipes whereas my family tends to like international food with a leaning towards Asian. Best Ever Student Cookbook looked easier but the 2 recipes I tried out were bland, almost inedible.

This one looks a bit complicated for a beginner really just wanting to cook both quickly and cheaply in digs, which is what I was looking for.

In the end, I bought Jamie's 15-Minute Meals instead for my nephew. Delia and Jamie test all their recipes which might not all be to my taste but almost always come out well.

I can also recommend Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, also featuring tested recipes and/or "Mary Berry's How to Cook". As one reviewer wrote: If you're just starting out and want to get the basics right then this book is an absolute winner for you. The recipes are simple, methods are clearly laid out, ingredients are easy to source, and easy to handle, and you'll gain some useful practical skills if you follow the directions. There's plenty of content, lots of illustrations and the whole concept of the book is "keep it simple".

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for students or even non-students, 10 Sept. 2013
Despite having the expected heavy emphasis on students this recipe book would be well suited to anyone. The recipes it contains are diverse from the very basics for those leaving home for the first time who really can't cook an egg to the more elaborate. Favourite homemade takeaways are included and I was pleased to see a decent sweet baking section - I am baking obsessed after all! More importantly this books teaches and encourages without being patronising while maintaining a bright and cheery attitude throughout. I'm really pleased with it =)

If you'd like a more detailed review, please check out my blog [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for saving me money and time, 5 Oct. 2013
I found a lot of inspiration in this cookbook for quick, cheap and nice meals. I liked also the first chapter about cooking basics as I am not very familiar with cooking after all.

The layout, pictures and binding are also well made - that makes it also a very good gift idea.

Being Italian, I am happy I found quite a lot of Italian recipes in it (lasagne, pizza, ...).

Some recipes were a bit advanced for me, but I guess that is good when I have friends over that can help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! I wish I'd found it before spending a fortune on others!, 4 Nov. 2013
N. Sharpe (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
The Ultimate Student Cookbook is a brilliant cookbook for students of all cooking abilities.. I spent a lot of money on other so-called 'student' cookbooks which are full of complicated recipes with expensive ingredients, requiring special equipment such as a crockpot (seriously, what student in halls uses a crockpot?!)

The Ultimate Student Cookbook features simple, easy-to-follow recipes but not boring food! There are all sorts of meals from quick lunches to hearty roast dinners and home favourites .. and there's a simple £/££/£££ system to quickly give you an idea of how much the recipe is going to set you back - but with the handy "store cupboard and fridge standbys" list in the front you'll have pretty much all of the key ingredients already!

I can't count the number of times I've already used this cookbook! I would say it's perfect for all young people - not just university students. It also includes helpful guides to measurements, what different recipe words mean (like what's the difference between chopping and dicing?) and fab pictures to inspire and let you know what stuff's supposed to look like!

The only constructive criticism I can offer is that it would be nice to have the rough number of calories in each meal as a body-conscious girl

5.0 out of 5 stars All Cook Books should be written like this., 29 Oct. 2013
Excellent book. Very well written. Recipes are very well explained and they do produce wonderful dishes I recommend it to anyone looking for economical meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookbook for Students/Youngsters, 26 Sept. 2013
So gllad I got this book for my Daughter - it has lots of recipes that she would be interested in cooking and very easy to follow - there was a pull-out of some example recipes in last weeks Saturday Times which prompted me to look on Amazon (which was much cheaper) and couldn't resist buying it! I look forward to eating the results! Well done Amazon for your competitive prices - you never fail to let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and quality food, 19 Oct. 2013
I bought this for a friend's son who is at University and he is delighted with it. How to eat well quickly and cheaply.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook, 27 Oct. 2013
a2025398 (LUTON Beds UK) - See all my reviews
First book I have ever read that tells you how to poach an egg. Some really interesting recipes. Try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a student, 4 Oct. 2013
Simple tasty recipes with straightforward economical ingredients, with nice pictures to illustrate how it's supposed to look! Great for my son who does not have much cooking experience, and food I would be happy to cook for the family.

The Ultimate Student Cookbook: Cheap, Fun, Easy, Tasty Food (Student Beans)