2,147 Reviews
 (1,691)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying all the recipes
Have been using this book to create almost all our meals for 5 weeks now.

The recipes are very simple to follow and have all tasted really good.

I have lost 1 Stone so far and my wife has lost 8 pounds so we are both very happy with this.

Published 19 months ago by M. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version
Love the book and message that low calorie food can be tasty, nutritious and made at home. BUT, and it is a big but , navigating the kindle version is really frustrating! The index can't be accessed quickly from the main menu. To get to the index you have to select the end of the book and work back from here ( about 15 pages) ..... The result is that it takes too long to...
Published 18 months ago by Anna

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying all the recipes, 5 Sep 2012
M. Edwards "marin" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight (Paperback)
Have been using this book to create almost all our meals for 5 weeks now.

The recipes are very simple to follow and have all tasted really good.

Not just down to the recipes in the book as you have to exercise as well, I go mountain biking and my wife goes to a gym.

So for now we are going to continue to use the recipes in the book - give it a try as it does help to loose weight.

***Update 1 after nine weeks ***

Have now lost 2 Stone and the wife 1 Stone - still using the book for most meals.

***Update 2 after seventeen weeks ***

Have now lost over 3 Stone and the wife 1 Stone 4 pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calorie Counting for people who love food., 30 July 2012
What do foodie minded (and bellied) folk eat when they are cutting back a bit? I've wondered this often and it was with much anticipation that I opened this one up.

I wasn't disappointed either. The hairy bikers have done a good book here with some excellent recipes and pictures that make you want to try the recipes. Food chapters are: Breakfast & Brunch, One-Pan Dishes, Grills & Roasts, Pies, Stews, Vegetables & Salads, Fakeaways, Pasta & Rice, Puddings & Cakes and Lunch Boxes & Snacks.

Many of the dishes have a comforting feel, some are spicy, some light and delicious like: Salmon with chilli Ginger Sauce, Peppered Steak with Mushrooms, Lemon and Thyme Roast Chicken, Cajun Spiced Chicken with Potato Wedges and Chive Dip, Chicken and Ham Tangle Pie, Lean Lamb Hotpot, Lamb Tagine, Chilli Salad Bowl, Chilli Con Carne and a number of really great sounding curries. This is just a taster of the recipes, I fancy trying a lot more. My favourites of the sweet recipes are Summer Fruit Meringues and Chewy Cranberry and Apricot Bites.

I've recently taken a lot more interest in cooking to lose a bit of weight, for much the same reasons as the bikers - to give my health a boost - so this book has come at just the right time for me. Starting off tonight with one I already have the ingredients for, their Chicken and Mushroom Risotto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Aug 2012
Big Mama "BM" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Having watched one of the programmes, my hubby and I decided to look for an accompanying cook book. This is it! The recipes are great and what a variety of ingredients.

There are six of us at home, me, hubby, 2 x 20 year olds, 1 x 19 year old and 1 x 16 year old. All with large appetites, but only me needing to lose weight.

I prepared the ingredients for the casserole, put it all in the slow cooker, switched it on and went to work. Late afternoon, I received a text message from my 20 year old son explaining that he would be out until after 7pm, but could I please, please, please keep him some of the casserole as it smelled so good!

When I got home, I had to practically fight my way through the rest of the family - it was like a scene from Oliver Twist with them standing there with bowls in hand. Not one complaint was received apart from there being none left!

I am a large eater and have found the portions to be more than adequate and certainly far more substantial than any ready meals I have purchased.

The Skinny Beef Lasagne also received rave reviews.

We are all looking forward to trying more of the delicious looking recipes.

The various sections are well laid out, calories are detailed for the recipes per portion and clear ingredient lists make these straight forward and easy to prepare. I have not come across any ingredients that I could not find in my local supermarket and certainly none that were so fancy I hadn't heard of them.

As I do not possess any of the previous Hairy Biker cookbooks, I cannot comment on previous reviews that the recipes are simply a reworking of the originals.

As far as I am concerned, these tasty meals will be very useful in encouraging me to keep on my weight loss / healthy eating plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for everybody who enjoys food, 13 Sep 2012
One of the best cookery books I have ever bought the recipes are so good you would not know they were dieting recipes.I would recommend it to everybody

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Cookbook, 6 Aug 2012
Z. Sargent (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
My copy arrived last Thursday and I think I've cooked every meal we've had since then from this cookbook, it's wonderful, my husband and I have very different diet needs (I need to loose weight, he doesn't) so finding meals that suited both of us was a real challange. The recipes are easy to follow and delicous.Si & Dave have cooked all over the world and their experience really shows through in the flavours of the dishes. So far I've cooked the Ginger Chilli Salmon, the poached eggs and bacon, the chicken korma, the lemon and blueberry fairy cakes and the cheese & leek pasties, I've only had the book 4 days. I can now cook meals which help me loose weight and that my husband will enjoy. Would recommend this book to everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Light-hearted and delicious approach to losing weight, 13 Aug 2012
Having recently purchased the book I was relieved to find that it was 1. easy to follow 2. used readily available ingredients (even found harissa in the supermarket) 3. easy to follow instructions 4. easy to cook and 5. tasted delicious.
I have countless cook books confined to the cupboard because they are too complex and I give up the will to live after just reading them. All the recipes offered that I have made are bursting with flavor just as they promise, with no complaints from any of the family, making for a pleasant change. It is true the book is simple and to the point - which as a busy working Mum suits me down to the ground. I would highly recommend this book based on the fact that I have actually used it and am still using it. Can't say fairer than that......................

5.0 out of 5 stars Recipes that make loosing pounds effortless!, 8 Aug 2012
C. Harris - See all my reviews
I am an avid collector of the Hairy Bikers cook books, they provide me with recipes that befits every conceivable occasion. I was most excited to see they had written a cook book with low fat recipes. On receiving my copy, I can say I am delighted with the layout and the colourful examples of the mouth watering dishes. I have already tried some of their delicious recipes and they have gone down a storm with the family as well. They were not aware they were low fat and this is a huge plus as some low fat recipes I have tried and presented them with in the past have been a little insipid and bland. I thoroughly recommend you buy it and try it! You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best healthy recipes ever!, 8 Sep 2012
Joanne Sheppard "Being Obscure Clearly" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've been on a weight loss mission for a year now, and have lost four stone in weight - and I've done it in the same way as the Hairy Bikers have, ie by stepping up my activity levels and reducing my calorie intake while maintaining a balanced diet. However, I still have another stone I'd like to lose and I've been looking for some nice tasty meals I can make from scratch and which aren't 'diet food' - I love food, I love cooking and I love cooking for other people too, so I don't want to have to cook one 'diet' meal for me and one 'normal' meal for my boyfriend. Supposedly healthy recipes in magazines are almost always a bland, tedious variation on the 'plain grilled chicken and steamed vegetables drizzled with lemon juice' theme and frankly, I'm not about to eat like Posh Spice every night.

So, this book has been brilliant for me! It's full of really hearty, tasty meals like spaghetti and meatballs, curries, roasts, cooked breakfasts, stews and even a few pies. Most of the recipes are really easy, too - you only need the most basic cooking skills for the vast majority of them and if you think some of the curries etc have a really long ingredients list, it's mostly just spices which you've probably got in the cupboard and the actual cooking isn't at all arduous. You could happily feed a family on them. If there are family members who need more calories than you, you can just serve them extra spuds, rice or pasta with their portions. None of this food is really 'diet' food as I think of it - I could eat meals from this book every day and not once feel like I was denying myself anything nice.

These are really good, practical, fun, tasty recipes with loads of flavour and they're all really well-balanced in terms of nutrition. Plus, the Hairy Bikers are down-to-earth and realistic in their advice, and their enthusiasm really shines through. Excellent stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 4 Aug 2012
This book is a fantastic way to inspire people around the country to lose weight. It has encouraged close family members of mine and i'm sure it will many others to shed those pounds! All or most of the recipes are 450 calories or less which offers many great healthy recipes in order to get you on your way. It also offers a weeks meal plan which can be used as a guide line. I think that the picture on the front of Dave and Si thin really encourages people to get active!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Dieters ride again, 4 Aug 2012
Opened this book and gazed in wonder at the pictures, ok they are all specially photographed so the proof of the pudding is in the making and eating. I have just eaten the best tuna dish I have ever tasted, and (wait for it) it looked exactly as it does in the picture. Wow! These guys have never let me down in any of their books and yet again I am more than happy to say well done lads.

ARRAY(0xafea8fc0)

The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight by Hairy Bikers (Paperback - 2 Aug 2012)
7.00