5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous.
I never thought I could make curries that tasted and had the appearance of restaurant dishes until I bought this book. There are curries from different lands and the variety is stupendous. Well done.
Published 17 months ago by kathleen wilkes

1.0 out of 5 stars avoid the kindle edition.
the index does not link to the rest of the book so you cannot find recipes or go straight to chapters and without page numbers the kindle edition is useless.

i have bought the hardback and am trying to get a refund.

pointless - why transfer to kindle and do such a rubbish job
Published 6 months ago by Nicholas Paulley

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous., 24 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, delicious and simple to make curries, 7 Mar 2013
Mrs. E. Preval "mpreval" (Middlesbrough) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
Having produced a mammoth book on pies it was only a matter of time before the Hairy Bikers produced a similar book on curries, and here it is. Coming in at nigh on 400 pages this is a great book for anyone who has even the slightest interest in making delicious curries for their family and friends.

The great thing about the recipes in this book is that on the whole they stick to ingredients that you can find in your local supermarket. Some recipes do require ingredients that you may not be able to find without using an online specialist store. However, these are few and far between. I have a number of curry books and some of them call for obscure ingredients that would spend the next few years sat at the back of the cupboard gathering dust.

Each recipe comes with an accompanying photograph which means you will have some idea what the finished meal should look like. As this is a Hairy Bikers' cookbook the recipe instructions and straightforward and easy to follow and I believe that even the most amateur of cooks would have success with the recipes in this book.

The book is divided into the following chapters:

Starters & snacks
Light curries
Chicken curries
Fish & shellfish curries
Lamb, beef and pork curries
Vegetable curries
The basics
A curry and a berr
Great curry meals
Index

Please find below a list of all of the recipes in this book. I realise that this book on Amazon contains a look inside feature allowing you to browse the index but I believe it is much easier for people if the recipes are listed, making it easier for them to decide if this is a book they would like to purchase or not.

Starters & snacks:
Samosas
Seekh kebabs
Shami kebabs
Nargis kebabs
Quick and easy masala dosas
The very best satay

South Indian masala fish curry
Grilled masala sardines
Masala roasted chicken
Light chicken korma
Very easy Thai chicken and coconut curry
Vietnamese-style chicken

Thai sea bass fishcakes
Spiced fish curry
Penang fish curry
Goan fish curry

Lamb, beef and pork curries:
All-in-one lamb dhansak
Lamb pasanda
Lamb biryani in a sealed pot
Lamb vindaloo

Curried eggs

Curry for a crowd:
Beef rendang
Lamb rogan josh
Chicken curry for a crowd
Creamy Kashmiri chicken curry

Great basic dhal
All-in-one split pea dhal
Masoor dhal
Marvellous mooli salad
Red onion, orange and pomegranate salad
Asian greens with ginger

Lemon rice
Simple rice and peas
Coconut rice

Pickles and chutneys:
The very best mango chutney
Lime pickle
Fresh onion and tomato relish
Coconut and coriander chutney

Pineapple fritters
Chilli chocolate pots
Pistachio and rose kulfi
Shrikhand with grapes
Sticky chilli ginger sponge with toffee sauce
Lemon and passion fruit possets
Mango and lime lassi
Banana and cardomom lassi

I would highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in curries. Please do not let the 1 star reviews put you off as those are for the kindle version of this book. There appears to be a few problems with that version of the book which is unfortunate for those who have purchased the kindle version. Hopefully these issues will be corrected in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful curry resource for spice lovers!, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
I was very excited to receive my delivery today of The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries. I don't often pre-order books but this one has been eagerly awaited so it is great to be one of the first to get my hands on this book on publication day. It is quite a substantial book at 384 pages but is a great new resource for curry addicts.

There are two particularly good things about this new book:

It draws on curry recipes from around the world so it is a little different from the normal curry book which often only has Indian recipes. The variety is amazing, drawn from the Bikers' many travels around the world. So whether you fancy Indian, Malaysian, Thai or perhaps Vietnamese recipes they are all here.

As well as curry recipes it also includes sections on starters, breads, rice dishes and even desserts so you really can cook a complete dinner party with accompaniments from this book.

It caters for all tastes. Whether you are a die hard meat curry eater or your preference is for vegetable curries, everyone will find a recipe to suit them. I am not a vegetarian but I must admit many of the vegetable curry recipes look so delicious that I feel inspired to cook some of them. They would be a great complement to meat curries if you are cooking for a group of people anyway. The Channa Masala recipe looked fantastic it combines chick peas and tomatoes with a delicious selection of spices including ginger, cumin, paprika, garam masala and lemon juice.

There is an All-in-one Lamb Dhansak recipe. It sounds like a quite delectable combination of lamb, lentils, spices and lime juice to combine heat with an edge of sourness. This is a recipe that takes a little time as the lentils have to absorb liquid and spices and soften and the lamb has to cook slowly to tenderise. I am a great advocate of slow food. When you wait for food that has cooked slowly, eating it becomes an event as you have time to anticipate it and build an appetite. The good thing about this recipe is you actually cook it in the oven for most of the cooking time so it doesn't require a lot of attention.

It is a good mixture of lesser known curries like Chicken Makhani, a North Indian curry with an aromatic buttery sauce (apparently makhan is the Hindi word for butter) and some great British favourites such as Chicken Tikka Masala. I did have to laugh when I came across the Chip Shop Curry Sauce though. Now you can indulge yourself in the guilty pleasure of dipping chips into curry sauce at home without ever entering a takeaway!

Some like it hot, well they are catered for too with the Beef Phall or the Lamb Vindaloo. If it all gets too hot you can cool down with one of the ice cream recipes such as the Pistachio and Rose Kulfi or perhaps a Mango and Lime Lassi. If you like the spices but not the heat then you could opt for the Light Chicken Korma. I was intrigued by the Vietnamese Pork Curry with lemon grass recipe as I have never tried Vietnamese food and the South African Bunny Chow has such a crazy name, I have to try it simply because no-one will ever believe I am cooking something with that name!

I love the Good Basic Curry Sauce and I think the section entitled The Basics is a great resource if you are new to cooking curries it has really good descriptions of all the spices and what you need to make a great curry.

The Curry for a Crowd section is genius. Recipes to cook for big groups of people . You can imagine this being perfect food for a hungry rugby team or great to feed to fireman in a fire station or for any club or group of people getting together to share some food. It takes the hassle out of cooking for big numbers as you don't have to scale up a smaller recipe.

I really am going to have to have a bash at making a Keema Naan, one of the bread recipes included and a particular favourite of mine. The Fresh Onion and Tomato Relish and the Cucumber Raita are also definitely on my list to try.

I love the style of this book. Most recipes have really good photographs so you get a good idea of how the finished recipe should look.

I would hesitate to recommend buying this book, you won't be disappointed.

Now which curry shall I cook first...

4.0 out of 5 stars Converted to Curries, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
Usually when I get a cook book from some bloke on the TV, I'll try one recipe before letting the tome become a dustcatcher.

This one isn't. There are a wide variety of recipes, from very simple to very complicated, but all the ones I've tried have been sound. Most I tend to tweak in the making, and again on the second making, but that's to do with my personal tastes.

The thing I particularly like about this book is how accessible it is. I live in a field and have a very small local Tesco to shop in, but Curry Leaves are the only thing I haven't been able to get hold of (so far). I also like that I haven't ended up with a cupboard full of spices which aren't going to get used. So far, it's all been about the same main spices.

For somebody who wants to cook something tasty which can become part of their regular repertoire, it's perfect. It's full of food I want to cook; you can't say fairer than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Curry Cookbook, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
I love this book. It has many, easy to follow, recipes.
The photos are lovely and the Bikers give some very good tips.

I have made a few of the recipes now, and they were delicious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murrey Curries - Great!!!, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
Always watch their TV series - and to have all these curries in one book is fantastic. Great buy and would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
Just taken delivery of this eagerly anticipated book and I'm in no way disappointed. It's a big, colorful book crammed with delightful sounding recipes. Starters including pakoras, samosas and (my fav) chicken tikka. Low fat section, veggie section, sweet treats etc etc Si and Dave have it all covered. Cooking for a crowd? No problem - some of these curries can feed 18 people.
Classics like chicken tikka masala, lamb rogan josh and chicken korma are in here along with a few others like Japanese Chicken Katsu curry (a la Wagamama), Lamb Vindaloo, Goan Fish curry and Chicken Jalfrezi. You've got your naans, pickles and rices too. What more do you need?
I am very excited about this book as I already have The Hairy Dieters book and the curries in there ( of which a few are also in this book) are amazing and go down a storm with my family. I can't wait to get stuck into this slice of curry heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 April 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
Since we received this marvelous book we have cooked more curries than ever before, and all of the recipes are foolproof. We love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh wow !!!!, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
I have to say ... WOW! I live in Portugal and my copy arrived today!!! Thanks Amazon! I saw this a few days ago - and wanted a gift for a friend out here. Thank goodness I indulged and bought one for myself too !!! And the diet book! Talking of which .. my husband just made the jalfrezi chicken from that one - and I am eating as I type! FANTASTIC !!!!

This 'Great Curry' book is amazingly beautiful. The photos are good and clear. The directions are brilliantly clear too. I did find the 'not deliberate error' but wonder if anyone else will find it !! lol!! Worth every penny and a few more besides !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries (Hardcover)
Brilliant book, packed with loads of tasty looking curries.

Made the tikka masala, sag aloo, kebabs and pilau rice last night, in a big curry cook up, all were brilliant although if you were only to cook one thing from this book then you have to try the sag aloo, perfect!

The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries
The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries by Si King (Hardcover - 28 Feb 2013)
7.00