5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'd expect and more
I love this book.

I've been a fan of Cherry's blog for around 18 months and have eagerly anticipated her first book (so perhaps my review will be a little biased!): I think `The Handmade Home' is just as lovely as her website.

Published 23 months ago by Vintage Folly ™

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance
Published 23 months ago by Toodles

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'd expect and more, 23 April 2013
This review is from: The Handmade Home: Inspirational Craft, Food and Flowers (Hardcover)
I love this book.

As you'd expect, there are pages of glossy, richly coloured photographs and the step by step instructions are well written and easy to understand. But what you might not expect is the amount of book that you get for your money!! Cherry was clearly thrilled to be making this book and her sheer excitement is evident in the fact that she has put so much into it. The Handmade Home is literally jam packed (see what I did there) with advice, ideas and projects:

The crafts and recipes are separated into twelve inventive chapters including `Valentine's Day', `A Summer Fete' and `Evenings Around the TV' and most can be made with items that the average crafter/cook will already have in their home. There's something for everyone, from oversized props for a children's party to simple cookies that can be baked on a whim.

The book's layout is simple, tasteful and it works. The writing is easy and friendly and never patronising. The ideas are `do-able', worthwhile and inventive. As you read this book, you'll wonder why you don't make things more often, have friends round more often, get involved more often.

All in all I'd say this is one of the most accessible lifestyle books I have seen in a long time and well worth having on your book shelf.

Love Rachel
vintagefolly.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 11 May 2013
I found this book to be a real case for style over substance, nice ideas perhaps for table settings and decor but nothing inspirational that I immediately wanted to make/create. I also think the fact that the book covers several areas means that nothing is too detailed/ advanced or make you feel like you are really learning anything e.g. I do not need to learn how to make sandwiches!! This book comes off the back of a blog but there are lots of blogs out there with better, more creative ideas and more importantly for free. This book is part of an already saturated 'shabby chic' kind of market and unfortunately for me does not stand out. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully styled and great content, 24 April 2013
You will not be disappointed. Lovely written introductions to each section. The book is split into projects for the seasons, special occasions and events. Something for each time of year that anyone can achieve. Good instructions and templates for all of the crafts, makes and bakes. It has something for everyone. If like me you like to bake and sew and all sorts in between this is the book for you. It has not disappointed on the amount of projects either in view of the fact it covers so may skills and crafts there is a good proportion of each. There are some good solid skills to be learnt that will be useful in so many other projects. A book that will take you through the year in craft! It is a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 9 May 2013
I don't often get excited when a new book arrives but when my copy of The Handmade Home was passed to me by my husband, I couldn't contain my excitement! I've been a fan of Cherry's blog for a few years and was inspired to totally redesign our garden a couple of years ago after I had a little success in growing herbs along with Cherry! She was planting her herb seeds and asked if we wanted to grow some along with her so I thought I'd give it a go.
Thanks to Cherry (and I'd best mention the husband who did most of the hard work!) we now have a garden I love to spend time in and I'm very proud of :)
When the book arrived, the kids were in school and the husband was getting ready to go back to work after his lunch so I grabbed a black coffee and spent a very relaxing and enjoyable afternoon leafing through this gorgeous book.
I was sat next to my waterfall water feature, the sun was shining and I was in my own little bit of heaven for an hour or so, planning when I was going to bake this or make that!
I got really excited when I came to the Christmas chapter because that's my favourite time of year and I always look forward to seeing how Cherry decorates each year!

I'm going to be using the book often and it's a very welcome addition to book collection :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful feel good book, 27 April 2013
I received this book today after it being recommended by a friend. I was not disappointed- what a truly beautiful book. It is so uplifting and full of surprises . I love how Cherry writes - so truthful and poetic at the same time. I'm not creative but her projects are so well shown that even I am inspired to try. I will be ordering more as gifts for my special friends.
I do wish though that Cherry Menlove had a regular feature in a magazine and I was able to look forward to her features on a regular basis.
Role on her next book - I'm looking forward to seeing how she and her family progress !

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love cooking and crafting buy it now!!, 24 April 2013
I have read Cherry's blog for a while now and have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this book, had to read it today in one sitting and feel so inspired and excited to try out new recipes and crafts, I was worried there might be alot of duplication from the blog but that's not the case. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and inspirational, 10 May 2013
A. Mizen (UK) - See all my reviews
I have followed Cherry's blog for many years.So I couldn't wait to receive her first book. I wasn't disappointed. As a unashamed homemaker and stay at home mum this book speaks to me....it speaks of home, love, traditions and fun. More than that though...this book is thoroughly Cherry. It has warmth and family at its core...if you value home as place of nurture and love - get this book, not only is it packed with fabulous ideas, recipes and crafty tutorials...it's beautiful too...put it on your coffee table and be inspired to live the Cherry Menlove way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Aspirational but best of all doable!!, 1 May 2013
This was a present for my birthday from my lovely sister. I couldn't wait to get it after an age of following Cherry's blog ... I wasn't disappointed!! The book contans beautiful photography, is well written and is a nice mixture of crafts and recipes. What I love most about it is that none of the crafts or recipes are polished, honed to perfection items that could only be made with either a degree in textiles or food!!! It truly is for normal people that want to make a beautiful home. Aspirational, Inspirational but best of all doable (if that's even a word??!!)

Just a note to a very dear friend who was also a huge Cherry fan who sadly passed away before the book release, leaving behind her two beautiful children. Today i'm making the lawn quilt for you Karen! <3 xx

5.0 out of 5 stars GORGEOUS BOOK, 25 April 2013
I rarely make dishes from cook books but I will be making Robert's Pea and Prosciutto Spaghetti. It's so simple and the photo made my mouth water. Gorgeous pictures and Cherry looks stunning in every one. This will make a great gift or coffee table book. I keep looking at the beautiful photos by Keiko Oikawa. Stunning! Simple easy to follow instructions right through and lovely easy to read chatty writing. Well done Cherry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a letter from a friend, 9 May 2013
I found Cherry Menlove's website when looking for a quilt tutorial & it quickly became one of my most visited sites on the internet due to Cherry's wonderful way of presenting information. Everything Cherry writes feels like she is talking directly to you; familiar & chatty. This book is an extension of that; filled with beautiful pictures, inspiring ideas & snippets of 'Cherry chat'!The book is split into projects for the seasons & special occasions with ideas ranging from recipes to crafts to little touches to make everyday things special. It's something I can cosy up with & read with a glass of wine while I decide what to make - I love it!

The Handmade Home: Inspirational Craft, Food and Flowers
The Handmade Home: Inspirational Craft, Food and Flowers by Cherry Menlove (Hardcover - 25 April 2013)