5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable addition to any cooks bookshelf
Mrs Beeton - famed for her Victorian housekeeping manuals that gained tremendous notoriety over the years. A new 'Mrs Beeton' book entitled 'How to cook' is a combination of recipes from Mrs Beeton and the input of Gerard Baker, a chef, food writer and broadcaster.

Published on 29 Nov 2011 by Susan M McKenzie

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing
Published 5 months ago by JC

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable addition to any cooks bookshelf, 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Mrs Beeton How to Cook: 220 Classic Recipes Updated for the Modern Cook (Hardcover)

This book is great, it covers lots of recipes (220 in total) but also covers so many of the basic cooking techniques any serious cook needs. Its been quite a while since I have seen a recipe book that covers the whole range of cooking skills needed, but this book covers everything from soups and stocks to sauces to jams, jellies and pickles and everything in between. With this you will be able to master the basics and some! The notion of this book is to bring a lot of Mrs Beeton's recipes and techniques bang up to date and this 150th anniversary edition does just what it claims.

As well as the chapters described above there are recipes for fish and shellfish, poultry and game, meat, vegetables, eggs and cheese, pastry, puddings and desserts, cakes, biscuits and breads, and lastly drinks.

Most of the recipes are short and concise, a significant number of them have a photograph. The introductions to each chapter include advice on buying and preparing that range of foods, advice and tips on preparation and execution are given throughout.

This is quite a big book and it has a great deal to offer any cook, novice or experienced cook.

I tried the tomato chutney and we really loved it...you are suppose to leave this for a month to mature, we have eaten 2 jars already, its rich and dark and it has a sweetened hit, its good with cheese, ham and sausages, its a winner!

This book would make a fabulous gift, I cannot think of a cook I know that would not love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a gem for the kitchen 150 years on!, 14 Oct 2011
C. Harris - See all my reviews
I purchased this cookery book for my recently married daughter. Having expressed a desire to acquire greater culinary skills I thought this would be a perfect gift for her. She was delighted and said it is the cookery course she has been looking for! The sections which introduce the huge variety of recipes give advice, cooking methods and skills. She also found it most helpful having specified preparation and cooking times at the top of each recipe particularly as she works full time. We were invited over for supper and enjoyed the pot-roast top rump and plum crumble both dishes were absolutely delicious! Well done Mrs Beeton you are still Queen of the kitchen some 150 years on!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book!, 13 Oct 2011
Bringing Mrs Beeton to life for the 21st century cook, this book is a must for those of us who enjoy quality fresh, seasonal food. The recipes are easy to follow with lots of information about sourcing food and preparing it, for example the fish section has some clear instruction about how to prepare different types of fish and shellfish, with easy to follow diagrams.
Lots of techniques are used in the recipes, set out in a way that even the novice cook can follow. I've just made the strawberry jelly which was amazing. There are sections on soups and stocks, meat, fish, vegetables to name but a few, including some beautiful photogrpahs of the food itself, and a very useful glossary of cooking terms. I'm looking forward to trying out more of the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great British cookbook, 14 Aug 2012
I love this cookbook. I wanted a cookbook that included traditional English recipes such as pork pies, pickled onions and trifle. This book really does give you the basics of British cooking, and more. The original Mrs Beeton book may include the same recipes but that book didn't inspire me to make anything from it. Many of the recipes in this book have been modified by the author, so I don't know how representative they are of Mrs Beeton anyway, but I am very, very pleased with the recipes I have used. Not only are they easy to follow, but everything I have made tastes wonderful. I do have to modify certain recipes to accommodate a gluten free diet but this hasn't impacted on the usefulness of the book at all. There is still plenty of delicious food to be made and in spite of falling out with my upstairs neighbour over the smells resulting from pickling onions, the result was definitely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia recipes, 15 Nov 2011
I am a fan of Gerrard Baker so when I saw that he had helped to write these recipes I just had to send for this book. I was not disappointed. It is a very interesting book full of nostalgic recipes which have been given a modern twist.Also interesting facts about mrs Beeton.I am looking forward to making many of them. The book arrived quickly .

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing, 11 April 2014
I have the original Mrs Beeton's Cookery and Household Managment (Ward Lock) that a friend of mine fell in love with, and bought this together with The Book of Household Managment for her 50th birthday thinking that they would have the same charm and range of recipes as the original...they don't and frankly were a waste of money. Maybe if I was not comparing it to the original it might have been more inspiring. In the end I only gave my friend this one, but I know that she was a bit disappointed aswell. It was overpriced compared to other cookery books.

4.0 out of 5 stars christmas Present, 17 Jan 2014
Xmas present for my daughter in Law. Her request.Quick delivery well packed.she loved it and was quite excited as the one I bought her 34 years ago was getting very dogeared

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Beeton, 8 Jan 2014
This book is very good,not only for experienced people but, for the young beginners. I bought this for my wife ,who is a good cook. she likes to find out what people from the past cooked and try some of thier recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift, 1 Jan 2014
My Aunt was trying to find this book for a present and when i said i could probably find this online she asked me to get one for her, the book came out as hard back and the price was fantastic. she loved it and hopes the recipient loves it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 7 Oct 2013
I live this book my mother had one of the original books and used it all the time I am hoping to be able to do the same with this book

Mrs Beeton How to Cook: 220 Classic Recipes Updated for the Modern Cook