The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£16.59+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I'd never really paid any attention to previous Hairy Bikers' output as I'd wrongly categorised them as a made-up-pairing in the mould of the Two Fat Ladies. I saw their first TV episode traveling through Norway and was absolutely riveted. The pair are proper bakers - they know why things work or not, they show you exactly what it is you should be doing and they do it with such panache and showmanship you can't help but warm to them. I'd say you'd need to see the pair at work to really appreciate the book - there are some minor differences in the recipe methodologies as recorded in print. Nevertheless, you should follow what they say/show you. The Rye bread mixture really is wet and they remind you not to add any additional flour. Do as they say because the result is a beautifully textured moist bread - not what I was expecting for a rye loaf. The potato bread recipe differs in the final proving and arrangement but it will come out lovely whatever shape you make it. I'm really pleased I found this resource as it trumps another so-called bread maker's book I also own. Compared to the relatively dry bread that comes out of my electric breadmaker all the recipes I've tried have been gorgeously moist, tasty and moreish. (A warning if you're watching your weight!)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 3 March 2012
Absolutely outstanding!
This book oooozes delicious recipes and makes you want to put the oven on and start baking.
Each recipe is illustrated with a photo(very important)and easy and informative instructions.
The recipes I have made turned out well and as expected.
I think if you buy one book about baking it should be this-The Hairy Bikers never let you down.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS AND THE BOOK OF PIES.They are My most used and appreciated cookbooks.
Thanks boys for another classic.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This excellent cook-book accompanies the ‘Hairy Biker’s Bakeation’ TV series in which the hirsute motorised epicureans biked around Europe, exploring the culinary cultures (particularly the baking!) of the regions that they explored. It was an interesting and entertaining series, and frankly made me very hungry as they munched their way through a variety of European foods and breads. We just had to buy this book to try some of the great looking recipes for ourselves.

It’s a well set out book that details several recipes from each region they visited, both sweet and savoury. It’s a good range of foods, covering classics from all over Europe. The recipes are well laid out, we have already tried a couple and have found them easy to follow, and the results have been delicious. I think most of the recipes that the duo are seen cooking on the TV are present, though recipes demonstrated to them by local cooks are often missing. I note this as the delicious macaroni cheese pie demonstrated in Venice is not included in the book, which was a great disappointment to me! However, there is plenty here to enjoy, and also many recipes that were not seen on the screen.

It’s excellent. The food is delicious, and relatively easy to prepare, especially with the well laid out and easy to follow instructions. 5 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Having greatly enjoyed the TV series, it was only a matter of waiting for the price to drop a bit before we got this splendid cookbook. As with our other Hairy Bikers book (the most excellent book of pies), the recipes are clearly presented with colour photos and the whole publication is elegant, practical and utterly mouth-watering. I've only made the German potato bread so far (soft & moist and delicious toasted) but I'm looking forward to trying many of the other breads and patisserie as time, opportunity and ingredient availability permit. Well done chaps!

UPDATE: I'm not entirely sure that the recipes have been as thoroughly tested as in the excellent pie book. The Spanish Rustic Bread dough was very, very wet - it needed about five good handfuls of flour to make the dough workable. The end result, however, was delicious.

UPDATE again: I've just made the Norwegian Rye Bread: as with all rye breads it's pretty sticky and a fair amount of white flour was used to make the dough mostly workable during kneading. Yet again, the end result is absolutely delicious.
review image review image review image
on 28 April 2012
The cheesecake is unbelievable - huge, dense and irresistible, the tarte tatin with apricots is to die for, with a caramel stickiness which welds a taste trace to your mouth for nearly an hour after gorging on it. The breads work brilliantly - bit by bit I am working my way through the recipes and none has failed to delight my family. Very practical and easy to follow. Putting on a few inches with this one, but loving every mouthful.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this as I had watched the first episode of the series and had to have the recipes. I rushed out and bought all the ingredients to make the lemon and cardamon biscuits and the jarlsberg cheese and ham pies. Made the pies first as the recipe seemed to take a while. It was totally wrong and as a slightly inexperienced baker I didn't realise till near the end. 1025ml of liquid to 950g flour!!!!I ended up with a lumpy mess which went in the bin, total waste of time and money. Will try again but amend the dough part so it should work out ok. I then made the lemon and cardamon biscuits which were absolutely gorgeous! So far 1 recipe is great and 1 isn't, hence why this gets 3 stars only. For looks etc the book gets 5, just let down by what is clearly either a typo or someone not checking properly. Would I recommend this book? Yes I think I would but I would double check the recipes and I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 April 2012
The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking

Bought this book on the strength of using and getting such great results with the Hairy Bikers'Perfect Pies.
The recipes on offer in the Big Book of Baking look very appetising and quite straight forward to complete though I did notice that some contained ingredients that might be difficult to source in the UK.
Time will tell.
on 27 April 2012
I bought this book because like many others, I've been watching the TV series of the HB's 'Bakeation', and I've been enjoying it with every passing episode. My wife and I have only made two recipes so far, but we have been thoroughly pleased with both.

Therefore, I cannot comment on the entirety of the book (though kudos to those of you who have already baked every recipe), merely on the recipes I've made and how it ties into the series.

:-)

I did bake the Luilakbollen out of a desire to do something other than Hot Cross buns for Easter, and I was pleased with the result. My wife made the Apple Strudel and it was also quite tasty. So with regards to the process and end result of these recipes, I am quite happy with the book.

I read some of the comments which criticized the lack of adherence to the pure essence of some of the recipes, and I would agree with them if the HB's were making authentic representations of the recipes.

However, watch out for the fact that both in the TV show and on the book the HB's do mention that many of the recipes are their personal interpretations on classic dishes from the countries visited, and as such may not be to everyone's liking of how a traditional dish from one country or another might be made (particularly those who are from those countries and have a strong sense of culinary traditionalism).

Overall, the book is an enjoyable experience, so long as the reader (and baker) remembers that it is not a guide to the traditional recipes of these European countries, but rather a travel diary sampling from both tradition and interpretation/reinterpretation of the baking/culinary traditions of these countries.

:-)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Hairy Bikers, two middle-aged men who ride motorcycles, are well known from their cookery and travel shows on British television where they, as "regular blokes", set out to show you in a fun and friendly way how easy it can be to knock up a dish or two along the way. As a companion to a television series, the two guys have travelled around Europe to discover some of the best baking recipes and have a go making them.
As you would expect with a television tie-in, this is a very visual book with lots of luxurious, bright images. Without a lot of fuss or flannel one is dropped straight in with the bikers' "European Bakeathon" with a visit to Norway and some very tasty looking breads and pies to get your teeth into. Then it is a trip to the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Austria, Italy, France and Spain.
Each recipe is accompanied by a full-page illustration showing the finished dish in all of its glory. The recipes themselves are fairly easy to follow and are accompanied by a brief introduction to the dish in question and a bit of chat. Then it is straight to the ingredients and then detailed instructions of how to make the dish.
The instructions themselves are fairly clear to follow and you are not being confused by technical cookery terms or other diversionary things that some books seem to do. However this reviewer found that the font used was too small, too light and (in some parts) too lightly coloured to make it comfortable to view from a distance. A little more thought in the layout process would have made a world of difference, particularly for those with "middle-aged" eyes!
One omission noted, however, is the lack of a recommendation for equivalent ingredients of times where it might be difficult to get an exact product, such as a cheese type, in your home market. Of course, it is good that they strive for accuracy and use the local produce, but for such a book it would not be hard to come up with a suggested "near alternative".
Fortunately, the "celebrity" overload that often accompanies such television tie-ins books is missing which is a BIG positive difference that means that the book can be a lot more timeless and more mainstream. There are a wide range of different recipes to try so one will not be easily tired of it and it can also serve as a good introduction to continental bread and cakes rather than being "just a tie-in".
Some thought has been given at the end of the book as well, with a list of all the recipes being presented broken down into their own category (biscuits, breads and so on). After that there is a very comprehensive and well thought-out index that lets you drill down through key ingredients as well as the usual search terms.
A few niggles with this book, but overall it is a very capable addition to the kitchen library, especially for those who may have a bit of a sweet-tooth!
on 14 March 2012
It looks like the boys have done it again with this lovely looking book. Only reason for the 4 stars is that a couple of recipes don't quite have enough information for me. The Norwegian savoury pies and Romanian sweet bread just list 'flour'. Is this strong or plain? The spelt bread with chorizo doesn't indicate if the water for mixing should be warm or not. I have made the rye bread which is delicious, but be warned that there was quite a lot too much liquid. I had to add a lot of extra flour. At least the result was fine. I look forward to trying lots more of the recipes.

Update - I made the rustic Spanish loaf today. The result is a good textured, moist, soft loaf so I am happy. Once again it was a very wet dough. I did my best not to add too much more flour but had to dust liberally and the dough was still stickier than I am used to after kneading. I think I will have to cut the liquid down a bit. As for the rye bread, I would like to follow the advice of the boys and Book Addict, but I can't knead porridge! The loaf is fantastic though, lighter than other ryes - I think the method of adding the easy blend yeast to the liquid first is probably the key.