4.0 out of 5 stars 5* Baking
Published on 2 April 2012 by Book Addict

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but check the recipes!
Published on 26 Mar. 2012 by baker1920

4.0 out of 5 stars 5* Baking, 2 April 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I'd never really paid any attention to previous Hairy Bikers' output as I'd wrongly categorised them as a made-up-pairing in the mould of the Two Fat Ladies. I saw their first TV episode traveling through Norway and was absolutely riveted. The pair are proper bakers - they know why things work or not, they show you exactly what it is you should be doing and they do it with such panache and showmanship you can't help but warm to them. I'd say you'd need to see the pair at work to really appreciate the book - there are some minor differences in the recipe methodologies as recorded in print. Nevertheless, you should follow what they say/show you. The Rye bread mixture really is wet and they remind you not to add any additional flour. Do as they say because the result is a beautifully textured moist bread - not what I was expecting for a rye loaf. The potato bread recipe differs in the final proving and arrangement but it will come out lovely whatever shape you make it. I'm really pleased I found this resource as it trumps another so-called bread maker's book I also own. Compared to the relatively dry bread that comes out of my electric breadmaker all the recipes I've tried have been gorgeously moist, tasty and moreish. (A warning if you're watching your weight!)

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding ., 3 Mar. 2012
Absolutely outstanding!
This book oooozes delicious recipes and makes you want to put the oven on and start baking.
Each recipe is illustrated with a photo(very important)and easy and informative instructions.
The recipes I have made turned out well and as expected.
I think if you buy one book about baking it should be this-The Hairy Bikers never let you down.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS AND THE BOOK OF PIES.They are My most used and appreciated cookbooks.
Thanks boys for another classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, cool, funny, helpful, 20 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I had no idea who the Hairy Bikers were but I liked the cover of the book and, of course, the title, so I just ordered it.
It's a magnificent book, a great help for all those who are passionate of baking or who simply need/want to bake every now and again. All the recipes are very well explained and easy to follow + they turn out great. All my breads turned out yummy looking and yummy tasting!
The Hairy Bikers are truly talented and cool and their recipes marvelous. I'm sure I'll buy the rest of the collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Hairy Bakers Bike it Again., 11 Feb. 2013
Willy Eckerslike (France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
Having greatly enjoyed the TV series, it was only a matter of waiting for the price to drop a bit before we got this splendid cookbook. As with our other Hairy Bikers book (the most excellent book of pies), the recipes are clearly presented with colour photos and the whole publication is elegant, practical and utterly mouth-watering. I've only made the German potato bread so far (soft & moist and delicious toasted) but I'm looking forward to trying many of the other breads and patisserie as time, opportunity and ingredient availability permit. Well done chaps!

UPDATE: I'm not entirely sure that the recipes have been as thoroughly tested as in the excellent pie book. The Spanish Rustic Bread dough was very, very wet - it needed about five good handfuls of flour to make the dough workable. The end result, however, was delicious.

UPDATE again: I've just made the Norwegian Rye Bread: as with all rye breads it's pretty sticky and a fair amount of white flour was used to make the dough mostly workable during kneading. Yet again, the end result is absolutely delicious.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but check the recipes!, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I bought this as I had watched the first episode of the series and had to have the recipes. I rushed out and bought all the ingredients to make the lemon and cardamon biscuits and the jarlsberg cheese and ham pies. Made the pies first as the recipe seemed to take a while. It was totally wrong and as a slightly inexperienced baker I didn't realise till near the end. 1025ml of liquid to 950g flour!!!!I ended up with a lumpy mess which went in the bin, total waste of time and money. Will try again but amend the dough part so it should work out ok. I then made the lemon and cardamon biscuits which were absolutely gorgeous! So far 1 recipe is great and 1 isn't, hence why this gets 3 stars only. For looks etc the book gets 5, just let down by what is clearly either a typo or someone not checking properly. Would I recommend this book? Yes I think I would but I would double check the recipes and I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hairy Biker’s Big Book Of Baking: A recipe for happiness!, 12 Nov. 2013
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
This excellent cook-book accompanies the ‘Hairy Biker’s Bakeation’ TV series in which the hirsute motorised epicureans biked around Europe, exploring the culinary cultures (particularly the baking!) of the regions that they explored. It was an interesting and entertaining series, and frankly made me very hungry as they munched their way through a variety of European foods and breads. We just had to buy this book to try some of the great looking recipes for ourselves.

It’s a well set out book that details several recipes from each region they visited, both sweet and savoury. It’s a good range of foods, covering classics from all over Europe. The recipes are well laid out, we have already tried a couple and have found them easy to follow, and the results have been delicious. I think most of the recipes that the duo are seen cooking on the TV are present, though recipes demonstrated to them by local cooks are often missing. I note this as the delicious macaroni cheese pie demonstrated in Venice is not included in the book, which was a great disappointment to me! However, there is plenty here to enjoy, and also many recipes that were not seen on the screen.

It’s excellent. The food is delicious, and relatively easy to prepare, especially with the well laid out and easy to follow instructions. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Fat the Hairy Biker's Way., 28 April 2012
Andrew Mccamley "A. McC" (Huntingdon, Cambs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
The cheesecake is unbelievable - huge, dense and irresistible, the tarte tatin with apricots is to die for, with a caramel stickiness which welds a taste trace to your mouth for nearly an hour after gorging on it. The breads work brilliantly - bit by bit I am working my way through the recipes and none has failed to delight my family. Very practical and easy to follow. Putting on a few inches with this one, but loving every mouthful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 17 April 2012
The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking

Bought this book on the strength of using and getting such great results with the Hairy Bikers'Perfect Pies.
The recipes on offer in the Big Book of Baking look very appetising and quite straight forward to complete though I did notice that some contained ingredients that might be difficult to source in the UK.
Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book but Purists Leave Angry Hats at the Door, 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
I bought this book because like many others, I've been watching the TV series of the HB's 'Bakeation', and I've been enjoying it with every passing episode. My wife and I have only made two recipes so far, but we have been thoroughly pleased with both.

Therefore, I cannot comment on the entirety of the book (though kudos to those of you who have already baked every recipe), merely on the recipes I've made and how it ties into the series.

:-)

I did bake the Luilakbollen out of a desire to do something other than Hot Cross buns for Easter, and I was pleased with the result. My wife made the Apple Strudel and it was also quite tasty. So with regards to the process and end result of these recipes, I am quite happy with the book.

I read some of the comments which criticized the lack of adherence to the pure essence of some of the recipes, and I would agree with them if the HB's were making authentic representations of the recipes.

However, watch out for the fact that both in the TV show and on the book the HB's do mention that many of the recipes are their personal interpretations on classic dishes from the countries visited, and as such may not be to everyone's liking of how a traditional dish from one country or another might be made (particularly those who are from those countries and have a strong sense of culinary traditionalism).

Overall, the book is an enjoyable experience, so long as the reader (and baker) remembers that it is not a guide to the traditional recipes of these European countries, but rather a travel diary sampling from both tradition and interpretation/reinterpretation of the baking/culinary traditions of these countries.

:-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Baking Heaven, 14 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking (Hardcover)
It looks like the boys have done it again with this lovely looking book. Only reason for the 4 stars is that a couple of recipes don't quite have enough information for me. The Norwegian savoury pies and Romanian sweet bread just list 'flour'. Is this strong or plain? The spelt bread with chorizo doesn't indicate if the water for mixing should be warm or not. I have made the rye bread which is delicious, but be warned that there was quite a lot too much liquid. I had to add a lot of extra flour. At least the result was fine. I look forward to trying lots more of the recipes.

Update - I made the rustic Spanish loaf today. The result is a good textured, moist, soft loaf so I am happy. Once again it was a very wet dough. I did my best not to add too much more flour but had to dust liberally and the dough was still stickier than I am used to after kneading. I think I will have to cut the liquid down a bit. As for the rye bread, I would like to follow the advice of the boys and Book Addict, but I can't knead porridge! The loaf is fantastic though, lighter than other ryes - I think the method of adding the easy blend yeast to the liquid first is probably the key.

The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking
The Hairy Bikers' Big Book of Baking by Dave Myers (Hardcover - 1 Mar. 2012)