5.0 out of 5 stars No old country for Mykolayenko

Published on 15 May 2010 by Nicola

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars No old country for Mykolayenko, 24 Nov 2009
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll be honest, I had reservations. The old cliché you should never judge a book by its cover is always a questionable one. Covers can say so much. The soft, light tones of the landscape on the cover of Under This Unbroken Sky politely whisper 'sentimental, romantic drama', long grass dancing gently in the foreground, two birds drifting in the sky above. And then there's the author's name. Shandi. Shandy? Well, that's just a substitute drink for when you can't take the real thing, is it not? The PR draws comparisons with the likes of John Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy, and these could easily end up as unflattering ones. But, nope, this is the real deal and another cliché quickly replaces the old one - I couldn't put this book down.

Under This Unbroken Sky is a gripping tale well told. A brave, confident and uncompromising debut from a new voice surely destined for great things. For me the first half of the book is all about character. The character of the two central Ukrainian immigrant families and even more so the character of the Canadian Prairies where they find a new home. Protagonist Theo Mykolayenko cultivates and renews this land, but it also transforms the families. And then around halfway through, THWACK, a torrent of blows batters you and doesn't let up until the final page. Each turn of events more devastating than the last, fearlessly addressed by Mitchell in the most brutal of terms.

I believe a key ingredient to a classic novel is to leave the reader feeling somewhat empty and lost after finishing it. Under This Unbroken Sky had such an effect on me and I was compelled to return to the opening chapter with hindsight in tow. A book for all seasons, I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare 5 stars from me, 14 Jan 2010
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The author spent her childhood on the Canadian Prairies, so is well-qualified to write a book set there.

Teodor Mykolayenko and his family escape from the Ukraine under Stalin to start a new life on the Prairies. They endeavour to make a living, working as hard as possible, but people and events conspire to make their circumstances even tougher, the authorities and extended family doing their best to undermine their efforts.

The story is so well told that I felt I knew the family personally. The author has an unusual, rather abrupt writing style that I thoroughly enjoyed. She does a wonderful job of painting life in a tough environment. The book may be distressing in places, but it's compelling too, gripping from the start.

I have never said this before in a book review, so it is no cliché for me, but I couldn't put it down and had to read straight through, completely absorbed.

This is a book you mustn't miss. It's brilliant. Roll on the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning read., 2 April 2010
C. Colley (Lincs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This descriptive story follows a Ukranian immigrant family on the Canadian Prairies in 1938. Having survived Stalin's labour camp, the Mykolayenko family face another struggle, trying to survive the cruel but beautiful landscape of rural Canada.

Theo Mykolayenko returns to his family after a year spent in prison. Along with his wife and children, Theo works relentlessly to build up the family homestead. Theo's hard work could be in vain due to the return of his brother-in-law, Stefan. Stefan is hell-bent on ruining their lives and taking it all away.

I really loved this story and particularly liked the setting and the slow menacing plot. The ending is tragic and unforgettable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too depressing for me, 15 May 2010
Nicola "nicola_in_southyorks" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's no doubt that this is a well-written and thought-provoking book, but I'm afraid it wasn't for me. I found it so depressing that I actually felt it was bringing my mood down when I was reading it. It's the story of a Ukranian family who have escaped the rule of Stalin to move to Canada, but even that doesn't work out when the father of the family is imprisoned for keeping some of his own grain. Here begins a story of immense sadness, with very little light relief to be found.

As I say, there's no doubt it's well-written and lots of people have loved this book, but it just didn't do anything for me.

Off to read something more upbeat now!

5.0 out of 5 stars really powerful novel, 26 Nov 2009
Celtes (wales, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Shandi Mitchell's novel tells the tale of an immigrant Ukranian family living and working in Canada. The book follows the struggles of Teodor, his sister and neighbour Anna, and their families as they work the land and try to earn a living in the harsh Canadian Prairies.
Teodor returns to his wife and family at the beginning of the novel following time in prison for stealing his own grain. All appears to be going relatively well until the return of his alcoholic brother-in-law, Stefan. His return leads to tragedy... not only for Teodor and his family but for Stefan's own family also.

I found this book an extremely interesting and powerful read. I think it spoke to me on a very deep level as I myself am from a farming family. Sadly, I was able to relate to many of the issues of working together so closely as a family and the conflicts that arise from this situation. This book portrays aspects of the farming family life that are relevant- even in today's society. The conflict between the hard- working Teodor and his arrogant, alcoholic, delusional brother-in-law is wonderfully portrayed. As a reader, and through my own personal experiences, I could feel Teodor's frustration and despair as Stefan tried to steal all that he had worked for.

All the characters in the novel are very well portrayed but it is the characters of Stefan and his son, Petro, that are terrifyingly real to me. Petro's need to please his father and his delusional desire to be like him stands out to me personally as such a terribly tragic part of this novel. I think the author's skills are shown here as the reader is left feeling both anger and pity towards the young boy.

The setting of this book is described beautifully. You can feel the harshness of the Canadian seasons and the isolation that these two families must feel. The author touches upon the political aspects of the era, with regards the Ukrainian immigrations, but it is not rammed down the reader's throat. There is enough background to give an understanding of the situation and the characters, but not too much that it detracts from their present situations.

I'll admit that I cried at the end of this novel! It was so beautifully written and so powerful, but more than anything it spoke to me on such a personal level- despite being set decades in the past and on another continent. I love this book but due to it's tragic nature I would find it very hard to read often.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 13 Jan 2011
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Under This Unbroken Sky (Hardcover)
This was a gripping read and one that captured me from the opening pages. The author writes so eloquently that I felt I knew the characters and the land as if I'd been there with them. At times the story is distressing but always compelling and completely impossible to put down. The ending will always stay with me and the book is a definite keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, haunting, wonderful, 10 Mar 2010
L. Cooney (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Under This Unbroken Sky is the story of the pioneer Teodor Mykolayenko and his family - wife Maria, several children, and sister Anna and her family - as they attempt to make new lives for themselves in America. However, when their past catches up with them, everything slowly and unstoppably begins to crumble around them, destroying their dreams and their chance for a new start...

First of all, you can tell Mitchell is a daughter of the prairies - she paints that flat endless landscape so vividly I almost felt I'd been transported to 19th century Canada. It's an oppressive world, but her hands it stays with you as this empty world, initially full of potential and possibilities but quickly coming to represent the oppressive tragedies which draw the family and the reader into their grasp. Her language when she talks about her characters, especially as the novel races towards its terrible but unstoppable and gripping conclusion, is equally stark. This is not an author who pulls her punches. The Mykolayenkos' lives are hard, and Mitchell wants us to know that. Scenes such as the killing of one child's favourite hen, which is loved despite being unlike the others, are absolutely heartrending in their brutal necessity, done out of love but still horribly fraught.

But it is the souls of the most promiment members of her ensemble cast - the women and the children - which shines through this novel. The tenacity of Maria (in comparison to her sister Anna, who has all but despaired of life with her brutal husband Stefan), her work ethic and tenacity in the face of dark times, lack of money and another mouth to feed, as well as her attempts to instill such philosophies in her niece and nephew, as well as in her children, are truly admirable, making every further hardside they face increasingly unbearable for the reader as one wills them to succeed just once. Comparisons have been drawn with Cormac McCarthy and John Steinbeck, but for me, the echoes of the book were strongly reminiscent of the earlier parts of Peter Carey's True History of the Kelly Gang, for the compassion and will to survive that Maria and Ned's mother demonstrate, in contrast to their despairing husbands behind the prison walls.

In short: A harrowing, wonderful novel that will stay with you long after the final page.

5.0 out of 5 stars touching, sad and happy all at the same time, 23 Feb 2010
Ajo "ak" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As everyone else already said this novel is about an immigrant Ukrainian family trying to build a new life and to survive in the wild Canadian prairies in the 1930s.

It is very well written and captivating, the mostly sad and very tough daily life of the parents (Theo, Maria, Anna and Stefan) is complemented by the life of their children - that amid all of the poverty and hard work still manage to be happy, play and live like children anywhere.

I found it an excellent absorbing read that makes you think! Definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking story of a family struggling to survive, 1 Feb 2010
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story is based on a family in the 1930s living in the Canadian prairies. It is a dark book, life is hard and the surroundings are miserable. The narrative is soaked with an atmosphere of struggle along with a sinister undercurrent which gradually builds as you keep reading.
The descriptive language used is beautiful and I found that I could visualise every leaf, flake of snow and calloused finger that appears in the story.
I particularly enjoyed the changes of pace throughout the book - at times the world had almost stopped turning due to the reflection in the writing - at other times I found my breath being taken away with the speed of the plot, so much so that I had to back track and read some sections again.
When I first picked up the book I was unsure whether the decision to have few defined chapters was good but I think it seemed to work with the continuing battles - a life like this does not separate easily into chapters.
The best measure of this book is that I did not want to put it down and could have carried on reading it for much longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic pre-war tale set on Canadian prairies, 15 Jan 2010
M. Harrison - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got totally caught up in this story of two pioneer Ukrainian families trying to survive by farming in Canada. It came as no surprise to learn that the author, Shandi Mitchell, is also a film-maker: she really knows how to lay out a scene so you can see it, as well as how to build tension and create pace. I loved the setting, on the bleak Canadian prairies, and the characters were really real to me. It's literary without being dense or pretentious; the prose itself is transparent, and the visual images incredibly strong. I'm still thinking about it days after finishing it - always a good sign.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Under This Unbroken Sky
Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell (Hardcover - 27 Aug 2009)
10.49