Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 March 2014
This one isn't a patch on the others. Gone are the sumptuous passages of delicious prose. Instead you have terrible, lazy writing such as, "the smell of various chemicals permeated the air". I laughed out loud when he described Irene's mother thus "she looked to him like a mature version of Irene"
Truly a massive disappointment
on 24 October 2014
I just couldn't put this book down! I'm now going to read more by this author
on 24 March 2016
Such good writing that adults like me will be entertained too. If you like Gothic and adore H.P Lovecraft or Poe give this a try. I always remember that Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights trilogy is a children's book, but we adults loved it.
So give it a try, you won't be disappointed.
on 2 February 2015
Not quite up to Carlos' usual standard. Though the writing is good, the plot is somewhat strange. He's moved from Barcelona to the Normandy coast. The result is less than I expect from this quality Gothic author. I missed his Cemetery of Forgotten Books . . . . Michael UK
on 19 April 2015
I remembered his writing to be much better. This is more on the young-adults fiction side, which is more noticeable at the beginning. The story takes time to kick off but once it does.. difficult to put down! A scary quick read... Gothic horror for the romantics at heart.
on 11 September 2013
This book tells a good story. Although a fantasy it reads as though it could be true. It has suspense and mystery and yet the characters are just ordinary people except from Lazarus who, from the start, is both scary and likeable. I really enjoyed this story.
on 3 November 2014
Great read. Zafon does not disappoint.
Would recommend
on 17 May 2013
I have read all of the Carlos Ruiz Zafon books that have been translated into English - the Cemetery of Forgotten Books is one of my favourite set of books. The Watcher in the Shadows is another captivating and well written story that I couldn't put down.
on 10 July 2013
I liked this book because it was different one of those " can't put down till you get to the end" books. I would have liked the ending to have been more thought provoking, not so predictable.
on 8 December 2014
Nothing too shocking in the end of this book, but all told a good short read with a nice level of suspense. Ideal to pass a few hours in a train or plane and this who like Zafon's other books will appreciate his style and story telling