5.0 out of 5 stars Now We're Getting Somewhere!
The first two books in the trilogy were enjoyable, but perhaps sitting between travel writing and the need to entertain they left a gap.

Now Jamie Ivey has found his stride, like a marathon runner who has gone through the pain barrier.

Published on 27 Jan 2010 by The Dunelmian

2.0 out of 5 stars Long-winded
I'd already read the first book about Rosé which I found reasonably interesting but tedious. Unfortunately this book is even more long-winded. The story isn't sufficiently gripping or interesting, and I eventually gave up about two-thirds of the way through. It could be potentially very good, but there's too much detail and it's so slow, and where is it going?
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Nigel Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Now We're Getting Somewhere!, 27 Jan 2010

This is more intensely personal. The change in seasons is beautifully paced. One feels the biting cold of winter seeping off the pages and into aching joints, the burn of summer then scorching the pages as he narrates their year's journey from optimistic migrants to serious market traders.

The insight into this market world, one of France's greatest institutions, is enthralling. How for some traders it is a labour of love through the winter just to secure a summer pitch, yet the seasonal traders pedalling imports from the Far East to unsuspecting tourists enjoy tenure which belies their transient status. I will never view a French market in quite the same way, and will pay far more attention to which stalls the local patronise and where produce and prices are "correct".

At times this was simply addictive reading for a self confessed Francophile. Am I envious? Yes and no, but it has been a total blast and an enlightening experience to read the inside story of one couple's fight to establish themselvs in the markets.

None of the sweetened Maylesque characters or stereotypes (and I adore Peter Mayle's work), but an honest assessment of what it is like to be a foreigner seeking modest acceptance in an attempt to fulfill the dream which many of us have dared to only dream.

This is well worth the read, never heavy going, honestly written and I thoroughly recommend it even if you have not read the earlier books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars another enjoyable read, 15 Oct 2008
C. Lawday (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rose En Marche: Running A Market Stall In Provence (Hardcover)
I read this book whilst on holiday in the area and found it the prefect read. It has wonderful descriptions of life which are both accurate and highly entertaining. This book will appeal to anyone who is interested in life in Provence and those who love France. An excellent read which I was sad to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars A heart warming and welcome third book from Jamie Ivey, 20 Oct 2008
T. Broxup "Broxy" (London) - See all my reviews
My husband and I are both lovers of the South of France, in particular the area the Iveys write about and have enjoyed all of Jamie's books so far. We were keen to get our hands on the third and were not disappointed and absolutely loved the read. It gives an honest and very witty insight into the markets that so many tourists visit and had us laughing out loud numerous times!
Thank you for another wonderful book Jamie- we now look forward to coming to Provence again to search for these wonderful characters!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 19 Oct 2008
D. D. W. Gardiner (London, England) - See all my reviews
We were hoping that the third in the series would be as interesting and fun as the first two... we were not disappointed! As the cold weather descends on London, we highly recommend a vicarious trip to France with humour and spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly rivetting, 14 Sep 2010
Stephen FOLEY (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
As this is no more than an account of a couple's struggle to make a success of selling wine from market stalls, it is surprisingly rivetting.
It is well written, and a very entertaining read.
Steve Foley

5.0 out of 5 stars Markets I am going to explore, 1 Feb 2010
I have now read all three of the fantastic books. I have thoroughly enjoyed each of them. I am quite envious. All the hard work though that both Tanya and Jamie had to do to achieve their market stalls. I admire their enthusiasm and patience with the bureaucracy in France, I had no idea it was that difficult. I loved the different areas they are holding their markets in, and can't wait to visit these and hope to see them. I was also finally able to pinpoint a particular area where "the Hollywood film" was made, it had been driving me nuts trying to figure this out, and thanks to Jamie's wonderful description it was easy. I also loved the illustrations throughout the book. I felt I was there expriencing all the ups and downs, they are truly wonderful books and I high recommend them, even if you never get to the South of France, you can with these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone considering a market business in France, 30 Mar 2014
Mme Jennings (France) - See all my reviews
Being a fellow market trader in France, I bought this book to find the answer I ask myself after every market; "Is it me?". Turns out it isn't. Jamie & Tanya's experiences in Province are exactly the same in Central France apart from I have never experienced any crime & I sell ceramics.

It's a brilliant read, very funny, even funnier if you can relate to it. I'd definitely order a copy before considering a French Market trading life.

I'll be ordering Jamie's other books now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rose, 19 Jan 2014
An enjoyable book,very descriptive easy to picture.Am now looking forward to the next two instalments in the trilogy.Good reading ,enjoy them.

4.0 out of 5 stars They've made it ... nearly!, 7 Oct 2013
A more substantial book than La Vie en Rose (have not read Extremely Pale Rose). Jamie and Tanya are now much more settled in Provence and are beginning to realise their dream though sell red wine during the winter!! And it ends on an optimistic note for the future (no spoilers!). I lived close by in Chateaurenard for a year in the '60s and have visited a number of times since then and I think this helps one's appreciation but I am sure that it can be read with great pleasure for anyone for whom it is their first glimpse of life in that beautiful area of France. Recommended. And yes I know that there are some accents missing!! (I see that there is another book published in 2012 which presumably brings the story up to date and I will certainly read this.)

2.0 out of 5 stars Long-winded, 13 Sep 2010
Nigel Wilson - See all my reviews

ARRAY(0xae1169c8)

Rose En Marche: Running A Market Stall In Provence
Rose En Marche: Running A Market Stall In Provence by Jamie Ivey (Hardcover - 26 Jun 2008)
Used & New from: 6.76