5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant biography of Caesar that aims to cover all his facets
Adrian Goldsworthy is known to me as a writer of exceptional ability, especially when covering complex subjects. In this biography, he ambitiously attempts to cover Caesar the politician, Caesar the General and as much of Caesar the man that's available to history (sadly, very little). Many biographies concentrate on his military campaigns at the expense of his political...
Published on 9 Sep 2006 by J. L. Ashurst

3.0 out of 5 stars good craft no creativity
Praise for the other works of this author induced me to buy this book. Caesar here does not come across as a colossus, but as a busy man moving from A to B, sometimes willy-nilly. Generally sympathetic to his hero, Goldsworthy demonstates knowledge of the basic primary sources without showing major reflective/critical powers. That is to say, I was disappointed by a lack...
Published on 23 Oct 2008 by arbiter

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a long but easy read with no dull moments, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Caesar (Paperback)
This was a long but easy read with no dull moments. A winning combination of great history and great writing. After reading this I recommend that you read Caesar's own 'The Gallic Wars' available free for the Kindle and at an economic price as a paperback.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice summer read, 13 July 2011
D. J. Andrews "David Andrews" (Keele, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caesar: The Life of a Colossus (Hardcover)
I read this over a week off during the summer and it is, it can be said, an atmospheric and readable history of Julius Caeser and his period. The only nitpicking I can find is the lack of footnotes and insistance on publishing with endnotes - this makes it rather difficult if inspiration to find out about a specific referance strikes... however the reason I dislike this is probably down to lazyness more than anything else and as seen as I was on a beach most of the time I wouldn't have been able to follow up referances immediatly anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant book, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Caesar (Paperback)
Bought it for my boyfriend for his birthday. He is very fond of the Roman culture especially the military part. He loved it. He said its a very well written very interesting book. Cant put it down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it was me, but this was NOT what I expected, 28 Nov 2014
Mr. A. L. Attwood "tony Attwood" (Corby, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The advert read as if it were a CD. It wasn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOod, 7 Feb 2013
This review is from: Caesar (Paperback)
Very interesting, I study latin at school, and there are things I already know but it's very nice to read and not boring after some time

2.0 out of 5 stars Good text book, bad read, 3 Aug 2008
Peyman Askari (SOTON, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caesar (Paperback)
It's a very detailed account of Caesar's life, if you're into that. If you think this is a book that will suck you in like a Robert Fisk book then you're in for a surprise. I've gotten 250 pages in and I'm about ready to hang myself.

It never ceases to amaze me how people can write books which are not interesting, and manage to get away with it.

Caesar: The Life of a Colossus
Caesar: The Life of a Colossus by Adrian Goldsworthy (Hardcover - 11 May 2006)
Used & New from: £10.51