Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 23 May 2011
I bought this book so I could focus on buying plants that filtered the air most efficiently in the home/office. The presentation is very good with a page dedicated to each plant with lots of information. The book tells you which plants were most efficient at removing an array of different chemicals in laboratory conditions.

If your looking for a guide to buying house plants that will have a positive effect on your home 'environment' then this the book for you.
on 12 July 2009
I was very pleased to receive this book - it will come in useful for many years. I have severe chemical sensitivities and up to date my house looks like "The Day of the Triffids", with spider plants growing all over the place. Now, thanks to this book, I have many attractive plants, I know how good they are at cleaning the air, and my spider plants are gradually diminishing as I find good homes for them.
A very good buy for anyone interested in taking responsibility for their own health - we should all be more aware of the hidden chemicals in our homes.
on 7 April 2014
Nothing wrong with the book but beware, this book is a reprint of "Eco-friendly House Plants" and identical, no update. Got that one much cheaper, so this goes back. only three rating as this should be pointed out in the blurb
on 30 June 2009
Well worth reading if your home or workplace suffers from bad air days. Fascinating information on how plants work and the good effects they can have in an enclosed environment together with detailed advice on buying and looking after the right plants.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 July 2015
I was really looking forward to this book based on its excellent reviews. Living in a very central location, we have particularly awful air quality (which regularly exceeds EU pollution standards for a year within a single afternoon) and I was looking forward to finding out which plants would be particularly useful.

The book is neatly laid out with helpful charts and ratings to make it easier to narrow down the choices for your specific needs (especially in relation to how much light is available). It does feel a touch as though it's geared towards office use rather than the home, but of course the information is the same.

I was somewhat perplexed, however, not to see any warnings regarding possible toxicity. Of course, it's always your responsibility to know what you're bringing into the home, but many of the plants in the book are toxic to small children if ingested, and almost all are toxic to cats and dogs if ingested. Considering the number of plants outlined by this book is really very finite, I would have expected the author or publisher to at least go through the minimal effort of sourcing this information (readily available from reputable medical/veterinary organisation websites) as many (most?) people live in homes where children and/or pets can be expected to reside or visit. Again, this leads me to believe the book is primarily aimed for the workplace rather than the home.

Do get the book, by all means, as the ideas on the plants themselves are sound. However, please do be aware that if you do have small children or any pets in the home, you will need to do a quick search on each plant you intend to purchase.
on 20 February 2014
I wanted some plants to improve a warm dark basement office and got this book to help select plants that would be suitable for the conditions and beneficial to the office environment. Having picked a few options at the garden centre they have been happily growing over the last two years and look much healthier than some of the other office plants. The advice on potting material, growing techniques, care and suitability for a wide range of conditions is invaluable. I'd definitely recommend this book!
on 13 March 2010
This book does exactly what it says, but I personally could do with just a little more help finding plants that require less attention.
on 16 January 2013
Love this book, very clear with lovely pictures making plants easy to recognise and they are graded to let you know just how good they are at removing toxins from the air in our homes. Excellent book
on 13 January 2011
I did not know that most popular plants that I see around offices are actually purifying air, so shopping for them was not a problem - easy to find and inexpensive. I think that in the book they spend too much time on proving the things they do not have to prove - plants are good for air; and spend too little time on planting techniques.
on 14 May 2014
its good to know from this book that some of our house plants are providing a function, i even have some in the office now to clean up the air