5.0 out of 5 stars C Andrews
Published on 20 Oct 2009 by C. Andrews

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the series, but this proved to be a let down. It has no real flow, jumps here and there through out. I ended up skipping a few of pages which were just a history lesson on abortion, while interesting, it was just too detailed, and I found it quite boring to be honest. The ending was better, and finally told us what happened to...
Published 7 months ago by ButterflyBaby

5.0 out of 5 stars C Andrews, 20 Oct 2009
C. Andrews (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I cannot recommend this book (and the other two books in the mini series - call the midwife and shadows of the workhouse) highly enough. Very interesting content about a now vanished world, lively characters, fluent and engaging written style and with so much social history thrown in that it is more useful than a textbook would be. Twinning the detailed explanations on previous midwifery practice with the cultural background of the dockers lives is a wonderful combination that is fresh and revealing. Very sad to get to the end of the book as it certainly closes off any chance of a follow up. I am now busy passing my copies of all three books around my friends so they can read them too! Wonderful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The end becomes the beginning, 31 July 2010
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Farewell to the East End is the third and final `Midwife' book by Jennifer Worth. She has excelled herself again with stories of the East End of London, their inhabitants, their births and deaths as well as the tales of her colleagues especially the Nuns. Fans of Sister Monica Joan will not be disappointed.

I know that Worth has used some poetic licence with the telling of these stories, as she does not reveal the real name and location of the Convent where she is based. And a number of her stories are gleaned from fellow nurses and midwives over the years and Worth has added dialogue for the purpose of the story telling. To me this does not matter all it does is enrich the story and give it much more of a sense of purpose.

The East End of London was changing as the Sixties dawned. The docks were changing from what they were during the Second World War, and with that the inhabitants of the area that fed the docks with their labour were changing as well.

Worth tells us many stories of differing outcomes which are based around the characters living in and around the docks. In the case of Worth's colleague `Chummy' wanting to become a missionary is called to the docks in the night and ends up swaying on a rope ladder onto a visiting ship where it is reported that someone has given birth? But the ships only carry a male crew so is her visit a wasted one or is she walking into something that is another world with differing morals?

The feature of tuberculosis is strong throughout the book; this is a disease which killed generations of families with no care for who it touched. Medicine has come a long way since those early days of the fifties. There is as much history of disease and conditions in this book to make it an informative read as well as a piece of escapism.

I have tried to avoid regurgitating the stories featured in this book into the review, lest you will not go and buy the book and enjoy them yourself. There is a sense that the end is coming for the area that Worth works in, the convent and the Nuns who reside and work there and Worth's fellow midwives are moving on in different parts of their lives. Although the end it is now fast becoming the beginning of the next adventure for them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to the east end, 25 Nov 2009
This is truly a spellbinding book. Once you start it you cant put it down. The detail and stories are so grafically told you could almost be there. An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this Book!, 11 Nov 2009
I have just finished reading this today, and I have loved reading it! I don't understand the person who gave just one star rating! This book, like the others was vastly interesting, amusing, sad, and 'eye-opening' in parts. A super read!! If you haven't read the 'Call the Midwife', then start there first. I really can't recommend these books enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Part of History, 30 April 2009
This review is from: Farewell To The East End (Hardcover)
I have already read the first two books (a must to read too) in this trilogy so it was great to find out what happened to all the characters in the end. I love Jennifers style of writing. Some of the subjects are very gritty but she writes about the people with dignity and caring.
I couldn't put any of the books down.....great reads all of them

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating history of the 20th century, 22 Nov 2009
Kathryn Mühlethaler (Langendorf, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
As much as the previous two books from Jennifer Worth I thoroughly enjoyed "Farewell to the East End". Jennifer Worth captivates exactly the mood of the time and paints accurate and endearing portraits of the plucky, long-suffering characters she met during her work as a nurse and midwife. She paints her characters with affection and empathy.

She's a born story-teller, and I found it hard to put all the three books down. I'm only sorry that her tale has come to an end with this third book.

Fascinating, and a real eye-opener as to what the poor in the East End of London had to endure. I learnt a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fond farewell to a fabulous author, 29 Aug 2009
Mrs. S. Biddulph (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Farewell To The East End (Hardcover)
I've now read all three of Jennifer Worth's books about her time as a midwife in London's East End and I loved them. Worth is a brilliant author, straightforward, vivid and factual. "Farewell to the East End" was like slipping on a pair of comfy slippers or catching up with an old friend. The book has a familiar voice and is another collection of Cockney characters and experiences - some desperately sad, others full of hope. I simply loved this book and only wish there were another to read. I learned so much along the way - the ancient art of midwifery, the life of an industrial docks, the sobriety of monastic life and the community of the East End. It shows how far our society has developed and also what it has lost along the way. Above all it is a recent history of women and childbirth and the transforming power of expert midwives. From the ship's woman's to the harpy-like twins, who share a husband, this book is brilliant. It is full of character, vividly alive and packed with experiences which often made the difference between life and death. I read late into the night and the final page left me wanting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars just as good as the others..................., 2 Jun 2009
kermit 333 (England UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Farewell To The East End (Hardcover)
Jennifer Worth has a rare gift for bringing her experiences to life as a midwife in the East End in the 1950s. I agree with the other reviewer that it's a shame that this is the last in the series..... ho hum - will just have to re-read them all. Fascinating stories and highly recommended - would give this 6 stars if I could!

4.0 out of 5 stars Farewell to the East End, 22 Nov 2009
Excellent book completes the trilogy of the East End Midwives sad that this is the last one but then again it has been known for authors to change their minds.
The book captures the spirit and times of the East End of London of the 1950's. If you are an East Ender and lived there then like I did the book will have even more meaning for the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 8 Jan 2014
A. J. Lee (Leeds) - See all my reviews
I bought the first book for my Kindle and then put off reading it. I now have no idea why as I was still up reading at 4am in a morning as I couldn't put it down. Its beautifully written and (dare I say it as I love the TV show) even better than the programme. I highly recommend this book.

Farewell To The East End
Farewell To The East End by Jennifer Worth (Hardcover - 16 April 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available