5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another recipe book for babies
Published on 25 Oct 2003 by Jules Devonish

1.0 out of 5 stars Too scaremongering for me
Published on 5 Mar 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another recipe book for babies, 25 Oct 2003
This review is from: What Should I Feed My Baby?: A Complete Food And Nutrition Guide: A Complete Nutrition Guide (Hardcover)
Brilliant read. Not only does it contain some lovely recipes and helpful hints about various foods etc, but it also goes into great detail as to how the foods you are feeding your child will help to develop them or hinder their development as well as many other useful bits of information. I found it very interesting regarding food allergies and where as other books were recommending using some foods early on in the weaning process, this book advised waiting a couple of months, which can make all the difference. This book was so useful, I found myself reading snippets nearly every night and my freezer bursting at the seems with various pureed foods. I highly recommend this book to someone about to start weaning their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best food book for babies I have, 5 Jan 2007
Holly H (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've found this book by Suzannah Oliver the most comprehensive of all of the books I have on food for my baby.

After receiving no help at all from my community health visitors on what or how to feed my first child, my sister-in-law bought me this book and I have used almost all of the recipes so far. It's been a godsend!!

The information on preservatives and pre-packaged food is invaluable and I now prepare all of my son's meals from scratch. He loves them and I have no worries about what has gone into them. All it takes is a little time and effort.

A truly useful book with fantastic easy-to-follow recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the healthy minded . . ., 20 Feb 2006
By A Customer
I found this book excellent. It provides a lot of information on how to give your child a healthy start to life. It made me realise how unhealthy a lot of food is. It is basically a guide to feeding your child whole food rather than processed foods. If you are feeding them rice why would you give them white rice when brown rice is so much better for them.
I found the information on allegies (especially wheat) and dairy very useful - you may not what to follow her advice to the T but it is a good reference if you have concerns in those areas.
This book is written in plain English, well laid out and easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great nutritional advice and recipes, 8 Aug 2006
L. Perkinson "Book Lover" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A comprehensive and wonderfully easy to read book on nutrition for babies.

Suzannah Olivier provides excellent information on how to introduce a wide and nutritious range for foods to your baby helping develop a strong immune system.

Many authors, of cookbooks for babies, rely heavily on dairy and wheat and it is difficult to find books which provide interesting alternatives for parents who wish to avoid or delay introduction of these foods. This book provides excellent recipes and menu planners to do just that.

I would recommend this book along with any book by Lucy Burney.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Five Starr!, 11 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Forget about Anabel Carmel and all other books about weaning. This book I highly recommend for every parent, it is a MUST that will chage your understanding of food, if you have any. In this (English) society, where food is not considered of a particular imporance to health, and where people are 95% ignorant of food benefits, this book is a revelation. A closest you could find to macrobiotic way of eating and balancing diet. I just wish, there is a way thought media or education institutions to change the minds of British society and educate them about food they eat. They would be much more happier and healthier nation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice - Mothers should read !, 9 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This is very different from Annabel Karmel's books as it explains foods and nutrients in details, why kids should eat this and not that... I really found this diiferent and most useful. And the recipes are quite creative. My child eats a much more varied diet because of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is like having a wise friend around the house, 22 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I am just so thrilled that I was given this as a gift - better than bootees any day. It's become my bible and close friend - and best of all we've become much more concious about all the family's eating habits. I particularly find it easy to follow and 'dip into' when I need info. Both of us have health problems including asthma and eczema, so I am really interested in avoiding health hassles for my daughter and this book has, so far, answered all our questions. I really don't have any criticism except what happens afterwards - is there going to be a sequel?

5.0 out of 5 stars MY WEANING BIBLE!, 9 Mar 2000
By A Customer
The best £9 I ever spent! I ordered this book amoung 5 others when I decided to wean my son onto solids. I found the advice very informal and in plain english, it was like chatting to the author in my living room. I am determined to give my son as natural a diet as possible and this book is THE book for a healthy, natural, organic feeding routine. My son is happy and very healthy and alot of it is to do with this wonderful book. It is the only book I use now, the others are all stowed away in the loft. The recipes are quick and easy to prepare and best of all give my son a very well balanced and varied diet. I love this book and only wish there was one for the grown ups in the house who don't eat as well as the little one does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must!, 12 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Well I have to say this is a great book. Not only does it have recipes but the education to boot! As a nutritionist I recommend this book to my clients, friends and family with new borns. I hope there will be a follow up from one yrs old and up! Thanks Ms Olivier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too scaremongering for me, 5 Mar 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book hoping to find some helpful, clear and simple advice on starting to introduce solids to my baby. However after reading this book I was left more confused and feeling that the majority of food is unsafe and unsuitable for infants and children. I also felt the author expressed her views in too prescriptive a manner particularly the section on dairy produce (which she feels is an unnecessary part of a child's diet). I did find the recipe section fun and useful but in general there was far too much preaching to wade through and not enough straight forward help for what is a daunting time for any parent. If you do buy this book I would recommend using it alongside The NCT Handbook First Foods and Weaning.

Used & New from: £0.01