5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book on a fascinating subject.
Published on 30 Dec. 1999 by siobhanm@cwcom.net

3.0 out of 5 stars Invest in the hardback
Published on 5 May 2012 by Peasant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book on a fascinating subject., 30 Dec. 1999
This is not a book for someone who merely enjoys a walk in the woods, this is a book for people who feel passionately about trees, who understand them and appreciate the beauty of these amazing natural structures that give shape and interest to our land. This book takes you back in time and allows you to understand the lives of these many unusually shaped, living historical monuments. This is a book that will change how you look at trees. The photography is amazing and the guide to where to find the trees is very helpful. Everybody who has ever looked at a tree and wondered about it's life should buy this book, trees will never look quite the same again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most inspiring and emotional book of trees you might see, 21 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
I am just doing a quick review, though it must be a year since I bought my copy, as I'm about to buy another one for my Mum for Christmas (she doesn't use computers so she won't know I've said this). I take Meetings with Remarkable Trees down from its shelf more often than any of the books of travel photographs, art books, souvenir-type books most people own but don't look at. Why? It inspires me, tugs at the emotions in a way you'd never expect. Look at it in a shop and you'll never appreciate its long-term magic. It's difficult to explain why you should buy it - there's no guarantee you'll see anything other than an expensive picture book - but you might and if you do, it'll be worth every penny. Buy the hard-back. You'll want to keep this book for a long time. I'm not normally a 5-star reviewer but it's one of the few books I have which are worth it, so that's what I am giving it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Invest in the hardback, 5 May 2012
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a wonderful, lush, magical book, make no mistake. But I was a cheapskate, and bought one of the later re-issues, in paperback. It was a mistake. It's smaller and the photographic reproduction is not as good as it might be. You want the best possible print quality, the largest pages, and a proper binding which will lay flat. Don't be a meany like me; buy the hardback. I will have to buy the hardback anyway, having already coughed up for the paperback.

One of the tantalising things about this book is the possibility of finding, and visiting, some of the actual trees. I am certainly going to try. If you enjoy this, save up your pocket money for Remarkable Trees of the World (again, make sure you get the hardback) - it's worth the money for the section on baobabs lone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trees Please, 11 Feb. 2011
S Genders (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
If you like trees buy a copy of this book. The irony is its made from trees, but actually felling and replanting of forest areas is the best way to maximise carbon uptake. All that aside, the trees within the leafy pages of this book will blow you away!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book, 20 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
Terrifically presented, you can feel and understand the love of the subject matter by the author. Apparently there's soon to be a companion book based on trees from around rhe world. I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars An aboreal perspective on life and everything.., 15 April 2006
qizmaster (Englands sceptred Isle) - See all my reviews
I eventually bought this book after i watched and enjoyed several ten minute TV documentary shorts about different trees from the book.These docu/shorts were aired on tv some years ago and i had made a mental note at the time(like you do) to buy the book someday.
Coming accross it years later then,quite by chance,at a very reasonable price on amazon..I took the plunge.
I was not at all dissapointed.
The book is a very personal expedition by the author.He takes the reader on a nostalgic, sentimental, often quite amusingly anecdotal journey.Delightfully filled with awe and wonderment.Observing on the remarkable events and strifes,possibly witnessed through time by each of these great leviathons of the old forests.Living and growing,sometimes albiet completely against the odds,through many many generations of mankind.
I also personly believe that the book serves very well on a different level.That is to consciously remind us all,how we should each personally endevour to do much more.To each try to protect and preserve however we can,our wonderfully precious,ailing and ancient planet.
Totally recommended..and beautifully photographed.

5.0 out of 5 stars remarkable book, 1 Sept. 2009
Owen Williams (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
A mini masterpiece. Thomas Pakenham has created something beautiful which every tree lover should own

5.0 out of 5 stars Trees with Souls, 8 May 2011
Ms. Jane E. Morgan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I keep this on my best side locker to dip into and remind myself that nature is beautiful. It grounds me to think that trees live much longer than humans do.
Great photos and interesting text.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 27 Mar. 2010
A. Cottrell (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meetings With Remarkable Trees (Cassell Illustrated Classics) (Hardcover)
If you like trees, you will love this book. A book to dip into, and a book to give glory to the Creator.

4.0 out of 5 stars meeting with remarkable trees, 20 Feb. 2011
Hugh Dempster "hd" (UK) - See all my reviews
a most interesting book for any tree lover
style easy and although a good browsing book it could give the most interested a cover to cover experience

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Meetings With Remarkable Trees (Cassell Illustrated Classics)
Meetings With Remarkable Trees (Cassell Illustrated Classics) by Thomas Pakenham (Hardcover - 12 Jun. 2003)
Used & New from: £2.50