5.0 out of 5 stars pocket sized book for shopping trips!!!
Published on 20 Jan 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars What not to wear the rules
Although the description of the book makes it sound like a continuation of their first book named simply 'what not to wear' it is in actual fact the same book. The rules and even pictures are identical, the only diference is that it has been condenced down into a smaller, possibly handbag sized book.
Dont get me wrong the first one was very good and useful and this...
Published on 3 Jun 2004 by flexyfriend

5.0 out of 5 stars pocket sized book for shopping trips!!!, 20 Jan 2005
By A Customer
I just wanted to mention, (I have all the Trin/Sus books), that yes, this book might be the same, but it's condensed and miniaturized so that you can take it with you shopping, as a reference!!! I guess the other reviewers didn't get that. I especially recommend tbeir newest book as well, it covers travel, makeup and color schemes. I think it's nice they use the same pictures, and the clothes portrayed are their own wardrobe, not all borrowed clothes from posh designers. Trinny and Susannah get a lot bad press sometimes, but after reading the books and watching the shows, I have to say that they are brilliant at what they do; camouflaging the bad bits and enhancing the best bits of our bodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Style Bible For Those Of Us Who Have No Idea!, 15 Sep 2002
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
I got hold of 'What Not To Wear' after watching the program on BBC2. Although these women are mean, they really do know what looks best. This book is like a bible to people who don't have any idea about their body shape or which clothing is best to flatter and look good!
The book is packed with photographs of both Susannah and Trinny showing the clothes which work best and which are the worst, and also explaining why. I think the book is fantastic, it has helped me overcome my extreme fear of shopping but also to understand my body shape, making me learn which clothing works best.
I'm so glad I have a copy, as now I wouldn't be without it. It has changed my whole approach to my appearance!

1.0 out of 5 stars What not to wear the rules, 3 Jun 2004
Dont get me wrong the first one was very good and useful and this one is probably a better buy than the first, but only for those of you looking to buy your first book. However those that already have the first one shouldnt bother!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit light on detail, 17 Oct 2002
Monique (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
I love Trinny and Susannah's TV show and watch it religiously each week, so when I saw they had brought out a book, I dashed out and bought it straight away. I was rather disappointed with it, though. Trinny and Susannah take turns to model clothes which highlight or improve some figure faults - in one chapter Trinny tries to make everyone believe she has a big bum and in another Susannah is supposed to have thick calves and ankles. It would have been a lot more helpful if they had gone to the trouble to find people who really do have these features, rather than try to emulate them themselves.
They could also have done with using addressing a few other figure-faults as well. What are you supposed to do if you have a long waist, wide shoulders or long legs. A lot of people might think long legs are great, but when you're on a long-haul economy class flight, or trying to buy trousers they're a real liability.
There is a list of places to buy clothes at the end of each chapter. However, they could have been a little more specific about the retailers they list. It says to buy a jacket at Topshop, but which jacket? Are they referring to one of the ones they have illustrated in the book? And if so, which one? I thought this section was a waste of space.
...It took me about half an hour to get through the whole book, and I doubt I'll ever use it again. But if you really have trouble finding the right clothes for you and fit the figure-types listed in the book, you might find it a good place to get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why did someone not write this years ago?, 20 Sep 2002
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
This book makes me shudder over the huge mistakes I must have made over the years - what is my chest doing in a polo neck - how could I be so stupid to think I could wear cut off trousers with my stumps?
This book is highly enjoyable, even if you ignore the excellent advice, as the bitchy comments they make -even about each other- had me laughing out loud.
Could have done with some more detail - like how do you dress if you have all the figure problems they have - I have at least 4 of them so which do you address first - the big chest, big bum, short legs, short neck?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket-sized, 27 Oct 2004
This book is just a pocket sized book with tips and advice. If you've bought any of the other, bigger books, I wouldn't bother with this one as it's all the same tips and ideas - if you're a Trinny and Suzanna virgin, go for it!

3.0 out of 5 stars The usefulness will depend on the reader, 18 Nov 2006
BookWorm "BookWorm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Confused about what to wear? This book aims to demystify the art of looking, and feeling, good. Does it succeed? Well, it certainly made a big difference to how I dressed, but that might say more about me than it does about the book itself...

And that's what it comes down to - the usefulness of this book really depends on the reader. When I first discovered it as a twenty year old computer geek who lived in jogging bottoms and baggy t-shirts and thought wearing bright pink lipstick was a good idea, its style advice was invaluable and really did transform how I dressed. For my more sartorially advanced friends, it would probably be a waste of time and money.

The book is based around various body shapes and what clothes to wear and avoid for each in order to look good. With the exception of a tiny and very fortunate few, most women will find at least one applies to them. Big tits, small tits, big arms, big bum, no waist, short legs, flabby tummy, saddlebags, short neck and thick ankles each have a chapter devoted to them.

For each 'problem area' there are pictures of the best and worst clothing items, the idea being that the best will hide the undesirable and draw attention to better places. The effect is somewhat spoiled by the fact that the authors slouch and pull miserable faces in the 'bad' outfits (a sure way to make even the best outfit look bad), whilst posing and smiling in the good. It would be better to let the clothes speak for themselves. There are explanatory notes (very brief) on why these clothes have the effect they do.

One problem with the approach is that most mere mortals will be afflicted by several of the problems covered here, and you can end up with conflicting advice as a result. For example, the tailored and fitted dress recommended to cover up my big bum is a no-no when it comes to disguising my short legs. It can leave you wondering if there's anything suitable out there for you at all.

The 'directories' at the end of the chapters are rather laughable. The shops are classifed according to the amount of guilt (presumably directly proportional to the amount of money spent) buying from each will give. Anyone who feels only slight guilt after buying from Karen Millen is on a very different budget to me, whilst surely the authors must realise that buying Dolce and Gabbana is an impossibility for most of us in the real world? Apparently not. It shows an irritating lack of understanding of the circumstances of most of the population.

In summary, this book is useful if you have no idea about clothes for whatever reason, if you have a particular problem body area that never seems to look good in anything, or if you've recently changed body shape and are struggling to find a new style that suits you. It's not without its down sides, but if nothing else, it makes you think just a bit more carefully when buying clothes, which can only be a good thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars What to wear for your shape, 30 Oct 2002
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
I enjoy Trinny & Susannah's programme, and bought the book. However, am disappointed that it does not address a wider audience of "body shapes". Also, I am totally unconvinced that Trinny has short legs and a big bum. I think it would have been more useful if they used members of the public as models, what about those of us with long necks, big tits, long body, short legs, etc. I agree with another reviewer that the pages of shops to buy the clothes was a waste of space, as I had no idea which skirt/dress/trousers each shop referred to. This section should have explained in more detail.
I would like them to produce another book, and would be happy to be a model of my particular shape!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wanted: ankle-length caftan with long sleeves..., 30 July 2003
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
After reading Trinny and Susannah's book, and possessing all but one of the figure flaws addressed, I am convinced that there is nothing that would look good on me! As one reader mentioned, the advice under the different sections is sometimes conflicting, leaving you wondering if finding flattering clothes is like finding a needle in a haystack! You're supposed to wear deep v-necks if you have big boobs, but may only show cleavage that is "unaffected by age or sun". So, what if you have both problems??
Oh, and if Trinny thinks her butt is big and her legs short, then 95% of the population must be hideous-looking! Show us women with REAL figure flaws that look better heeding their advice, and I'll pay much more attention!!

3.0 out of 5 stars The problem with bits and pieces..., 5 Sep 2003
This review is from: What Not To Wear (Hardcover)
I asked for this book for my birthday, and really enjoyed reading it. It's written in a light hearted way and at times is very funny. The explanations for why not to wear particular clothes are good, but the main problem I found was how to combine the advice. Each section dealt with a particular body part - eg big tits, saddlebags, big bum etc - but I found that if you were afflicted with more than one of the above the advice given in one section would frequently contradict the advice given in another! Perhaps there are a lucky few out there with just one "problem area" to disguise, but I would say most of us buying it will be doing so to cover a multitude of sins!
There is also a lack of information on where to buy particular clothes and the availability of certain clothes seems limited. I was advised to wear wrap dresses for my shape, along with wrap tops, wrap cardigans etc - but these kind of clothes come in and out of fashion. I suppose on the plus side I will be keeping my eyes peeled for them when they do appear...
I really enjoyed this book, and took it out with me when I was shopping for a particularly nerve-wracking date. It gave me the confidence to buy several items I wouldn't have previously considered. I haven't as yet worn them mind you... but perhaps it's part of a long term process of refining your wardrobe. Use this book to help you out for a particular occasion or to help you throw out your old wardrobe and start again. In the end I would be inclined to use this as a starting point, and then find a truthful friend or a personal shopper in a Department Store to tell me how it is. I've given this 3 stars simply because while it is useful, I think people will be tempted to accept this as the Gospel... and let's face it, we all get lucky with that top we "shouldn't wear" that looks great!

ARRAY(0xa0a8aae0)

What Not To Wear
What Not To Wear by Trinny Woodall (Hardcover - 5 Sep 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01