5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, touching and hilarious...
Published on 16 Aug. 2004 by delilah2004

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad
Previously having read Shopgirl by Steve Martin (which I loved!) I was keen to read his other novels and this one wasn't as brilliant as Shopgirl, but not a bad read. The main character was quirky and eccentric and mostly believable. But in the end the story line was a little lacking for me and the ending was a little rushed.
Published on 3 Jun. 2013 by C Chan

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, touching and hilarious..., 16 Aug. 2004
A couple of days ago, I was sat on a train from Edinburgh to London for 5 hours. It was hot and cramped, and there were so many screaming children on board it sounded more like a zoo. But I didn't much care or even notice, because I had this book! It absorbed me from page 1. The characters are fabulous and the vivid, cringe-worthy descriptions of surprisingly believable situations had me suppressing snorts of laughter and drawing alarmed looks from the fellow passengers of Coach D. It manages to be a touching description of a man with a potentially life-altering mental illness at the same time as being a love story, a slapstick comedy and a self-effacing look at American culture. Maybe it's just because the words of Steve Martin are so distinctive, but I think this would make a wonderful film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 9 Oct. 2003
This review is from: The Pleasure of my Company (Hardcover)
This is the kind of book that you can read all in one go. Preferably on a Sunday afternoon when it's raining. It's brilliantly written, but although some have said it to be laugh out loud funny, I think the true strength of this novel is Martin's ability to make you fall in love with a crazy, and probably very annoying, man. You can't help but be captured by Daniel. I finished this with a little sob, glad for the character and Martin but kind of disappointed that my time with them was over.

5.0 out of 5 stars "This all started because of a clerical error", 22 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Pleasure of my Company (Hardcover)
These the words printed on the reverse of quite simply the best book I've ever read.
Being a student I don’t have much time to read, or more
realistically, don’t want to. I have been a huge fan of Steve Martin's films for a long time now, "Bowfinger" being my favourite. So, I thought I'd try out one of his books. This book is brilliant, witty, ingenious and extremely clever. It has opened my eyes to the joy of reading, as I am currently reading another of his books "Pure Drivel". The storyline is based around a neurotic 30 something year old male who is torn between 3 women, each extremely different, beautiful in their own way. Being very shy he finds various different ways to see them, without the torment of having to ask them out. It follows his weird and wonderful journey as he gets to know them better, encountering endless obstacles, such as the dreaded kerb, and the much feared light bulb!
Beautiful storyline, superb humour, good job it all started because of a clerical error!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of brilliant, 8 Mar. 2007
Bunny (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I must confess I read this book over a year ago and always meant to sit down and write a review but life got in the way somehow.

Secretly though I think I also wanted to keep this book to myself. I found it so engaging and heartwarming that although I felt like telling everyone to read it, I also felt like it was so good in it's own right that people would discover it anyway just like I had.

I can understand a previous reviewers comments about rereading the last few pages - I did too. It was such a good book that although I was captivated and cared about all the characters and wanted to know the ending, I was also disappointed to see the pages disappearing and knowing that soon it would be over and I'd have to read something else. In fact I tried to pace myself to make it last longer but I just could'nt put it down.

In some ways I wish it was a forgettable book so I could read it again with the same joy. But it is a truly memorable book that will make you smile.

I would'nt hesitate recommending it to anybody. The fact that Steve Martin wrote it is completely irrelevant really and shouldnt affect anyone's decision whether to purchase it or not.

I would only add that if you're not already a Steve Martin fan this book just makes you realise what a truly multi talented man he is.

5.0 out of 5 stars I certainly enjoyed the pleasure of his company!!, 29 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The Pleasure of my Company (Hardcover)
An awesome read in my opinion.
Daniel Pecan Cambridge, a genius of sort rejected by Mensa after they inadvertently omitted the 1 at the beginning of his IQ, is plagued by OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Everything must be logical, symmetrical, and quantifiable. At any one time, for example, the total wattage of active light bulbs where ever he sleeps must be precisely 1,125.
Do not expect a fast-paced, wisecracking, rollicking read. Although Martin holds our interest with Daniel’s tangential forays into the absurd, and his variously humiliating, anti-heroic antics.
Steve Martin is intelligent and, at moments, The Pleasure of My Company displays a surprising sensitivity. This is light-hearted, quick-witted, comic and original. It is the kind of goofball comedy of the naïve which invariably secures Martin's films a PG rating. Expect to see it on the big screen soon. And then as a DVD purchase from Amazon :)

5.0 out of 5 stars my first Steve Martin, 21 Oct. 2003
This review is from: The Pleasure of my Company (Hardcover)
This is the first Steve Martin novel I have read and I have to say it will not be the last. Whilst it is not laugh out loud funny you feel warm inside when you finish this book. I think people will be very surprised at the talent Steve Martin reveals in this novel. I could very easily see him in the title role were he younger. I have recommended this to many friends and family and cannot praise the book highly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars even if you aren't a Steve Martin fan, you should love this, 28 April 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Pleasure of my Company (Hardcover)
I wondered what to expect and found that Steve Martin writes *really* well. It doesn't feel like a book written by somebody who is just 'trying' to write despite being famous for other things - it feels like a genuinely funny, melancholic book by a talented writer. He doesn't show off, he doesn't use overblown prose like an amateur. He uses a very clean, easy to read style which can be read and appreciated without any effort - which belies the effort and skill which went into writing it.
A great book. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly fabulous book!, 14 Oct. 2004
S. Horton (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I thought this was a fabulous book. I read it on a long flight from Australia to London and it took my mind off the cramped economy seat! Laugh out loud funny - I couldn't stop giggling at the situations Daniel found himself in (real and imagined!). Funny, sad, poignant, bizarre, lovely. A book you will want to read right though in one sitting - it is even worth booking a long flight/train journey just so that you can take this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really funny book, surprised me!, 3 Dec. 2008
I finally read this book after a friend recommended it to me as one of her favourites. Three years later, I agree - it's really sweet, funny but not in a 'knock knock' kind of way, and very readable. You really feel for the main character, and as he develops and starts shaking off some of his deeply entrenched habits, you can't help but be proud of him.

Recommend it for anyone a bit quirky. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Far More Moving Than I Expected, 28 Sept. 2004
Paul Johnson - See all my reviews
Now this is a book that you will read through non-stop and you will be happy to have spent the time on it. When I finished, I was left with one overriding thought. 'That was a nice book'.
The main character, Daniel, is a 31 year old who is suffering from some form of mental problems, which as someone who knows little of these things, I would regard as something akin to obsessive compulsive disorder. Psychologists who have read the book should feel free to correct me on that! Anyway, for the bulk of the book this chap goes about his life without much outside influence, with his life being extremely routine mostly due to his obsessions.
What little interaction he does have with others is between distant and non-existant, though in his mind, and especially with his thoughts towards women (which would be sinister if the author had chosen to write it that way), they play a more important role. During the couse of the book we watch as these develop, seeing how Daniel copes with situations and relationships as they change.
The book is extremely well written and all of the main characters have a warmth that you can't help being attracted to. I felt it has some similarities to The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time by Mark Hines and I imagine that anyone who enjoyed that, will enjoy this.

The Pleasure of my Company
The Pleasure of my Company by Steve Martin (Hardcover - 11 Sept. 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01