5.0 out of 5 stars My dentist - the Hero, 9 Jun 2003
By A Customer
We have all heard of the Holocaust and we think we know about it from books and films. But this book is 90% first hand account, and very hard-hitting. The unbelievable depravity that these boys (and some girls) endured and survived is hard to comprehend and far exceed any fictional horror that man can dream up. I found the first part of the book shocking and very painful to read. But when "The Boys" are freed, and find themselves in a caring environment we rejoice in their blossoming. For me, reading this book also led to a personal "shock", for I realised when two-thirds of the way through, that one of "The Boys" who survived some particularly barbaric camps, is my dentist and has been for many years. So, unusually, my dentist has become a hero of sorts (though I shall not mention it to him - I think he would be embarrassed) and I actually look forward to my next visit to the dentist's chair.

4.0 out of 5 stars it does what it says on the label, 10 Jun 2011
I read this book several years ago and then lost it

Heartwarming may be an overstatement but it shows how one group of Holocasut survivals managed to overcome the horrors that they had experienced and started to build themselves new lives in the UK.

Meeting one of the Boys on March of the Living 2011 in Poland prompted me to buy it again.

Warning - remember that only a tiny minority survived - over 1.5m children perished - and the British government only let in a tiny portion of that tiny minority - the Boys. We deceive ourselves if we believe that the UK has always had an open door policy to refugees and the oppressed

5.0 out of 5 stars Count Yourself Lucky, 21 Jan 2008
P. Pagin (England) - See all my reviews
As someone who was born barely a decade after the events portrayed in this book and who now lives beside the airport where the survivors first arrived after leaving the horrors of post war Germany I compared my upbringing with that of the boys who are the subject of this amazing book and was left feeling eternally grateful at my modest upbringing in a small town in northern England.

I have nothing but admiration for the courage, tenacity, honesty and sheer bloody mindedness of these young survivors of the holocaust.

Martin Gilbert certainly does not pull any punches and by letting the boys tell their story mainly in their own words the full horror of their treatment at the hands of their Nazi tormentors is conveyed to the reader.

This book should be compulsory reading to all children old enough to comprehend the consequences of what happens when a dictatorship is allowed to poison the minds of its people and should remind us all that we are fortunate to live in a society where freedom is a cherished possesion of all its citizens.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boys, 14 Oct 2013
Who can or should ever be allowed to forget the horrors of the Holocaust, this book tells horrific individual accounts from this time, young children losing their entire families, living day by day in the hope of survival in labour or the infamous death camps of Auschwitz or Treblinka and then at the end of the war as the allies were closing in the death marches. This book also tells the story of 732 of these children who were brought to Britain ( one thousand were allowed for but only this number could be found ) where they were given every help with what they had experienced and help with education and future employment, some of these children eventually settling in America, Canada, Israel and other countries.
I found the book extremely interesting and factual, I must mention though that the flitting between each childs experiences made the accounts difficult to follow and confusing but a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changing nightmare to family, 3 May 2013
This review is from: The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity (Hardcover)
When I read "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" I was once again reminded of the story of 732 Jewish boys and girls whose story Martin Gilbert tells in his "The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity". One book is from the viewpoint of someone standing outside the suffering while the other one is about the kids who went through hell. I'm not a believer in the many after-life versions of hell, but I am certainly a believer in the human ability to create hell for their fellow humans. In fact, we're really creative in the many ways we cause others pain, and that worries me.

"The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity" tells such a story. This is the story of children who (along with their siblings and parents) were uprooted from their homes and dragged into the horrors of the Holocaust. These children were originally from Poland, Czechoslovakia and Hungary. Their lives were the lives of ordinary children with loving parents. As they just below and above ten years old for the most part, these children had no understanding of all of the abrupt changes in their lives. From living in regular homes, they were stuffed into ghettos and then dragged to even worse circumstances.

And then it all ended. No more parents or siblings, all alone in the world after having endured what only few people in the world have had to endure.

After their liberation from the camps, they had to begin rebuilding their lives in Britain. Despite being physically and emotionally drained by their nightmare past, they drew strength from their group. After leaving their hostels, they remained a close-knit and devoted band of siblings. Their families having been destroyed, they created a family among themselves.

So many people ask themselves how something as terrible as the Holocaust could have happened. I doubt there is any one answer to that question. After all, we let history repeat itself all over the world. What I do believe is that we are all capable of becoming something we had never thought was possible. Ervin Staub in his "Roots of Evil" and Max Weber in his "On Bureaucracy" - Iron Cage both try to look at why people are dehumanized and warn us of the consequences.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different viewpoint, 18 Nov 2011
R. O. Fritz "Monti" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity (Hardcover)
The book arrived in excellent condition and was a snip at this price.
Its contents are an eye-opener for all those interestered in "the life and near-death" of the small number of Jews that experienced the Nazi concentration, labour and death camps and lived to tell the tale. A riveting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent, 25 Jan 2011
Mr. R. H. Battersby "RB" (Northern England, UK.) - See all my reviews
As with a few other reviewers I have the privilege of counting one of 'The Boys' as a friend. He is a quiet, considerate and charming man who carries a story of suffering and horror beyond belief. Meeting him and getting to know him has been life-changing and an honour. This book details accounts which should be read by everyone, and if people were brave enough to look at the mistakes odf the past and learn from them, then the future could be so much better for everyone.
A definitive work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important testament to holocaust remembrance, 10 Jun 2008
This remarkable book consists of the comprehensive results interviews with and letters by 732 concentration camp survivors from the holocaust.
These young people-both boys and girls-where settled in Britain after World War II , some stayed and made lives in Britain , while others immigrated to the USA , Australia , Canada and Israel.
Some of the boys made their mark in the Israel War of Independence defending the fledgling Jewish State after it was attacked by five Arab armies , aiming to anihilate all Jews in Israel (as the Arabs and anti-Zionists of the world aim for today i.e a second holocaust.)
Part of the book consists of harrowing eyewitness accounts of the survivors , hence an important testament to holocaust remembrance. The accounts are often graphic and bring the grim reality of what happened to the Jewish people during world War II to bear on us.
It is important to remember the holocaust again , at times when some , like Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and others , deny it's existance.

It is important to remember the holocaust , at a time when the Islamic world and their far-left allies wish to destroy Israel , the phoenix that arose from the ashes of the Jewish people , and subject the Jews of Israel to a second holocaust.
It is interesting to see how for most of the survivors Israel and Zionism where an important part of their consciousness.
Anti-Zionist propaganda aims to prepare for genocide of Jews , in the same way as Nazi propaganda did , and therefore all Anti-Zionist and anti-Israel propaganda should be treated the same as Nazism-with no tolerance.
Most holocaust survivors and their descendants today live in Israel.
The future of the descendants of the survivors needs to be preserved , and therefore Israel must prevail.
That is what we must fight for when we say 'Never Again!'

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boys, 6 Aug 2009
S. J. Veronique (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I had the privilege to know one of "The Boys", David Kutner. He was a lifelong family friend, and never talked of his experiences in the concentration camp, even to his family, until he was asked to contribute to this book, when he entrusted me with his handwritten manuscript, and asked me to type it. I cried as I did so. The book opened up a new lease of life for him, and having written his story he went on to talk to his wife and daughters about it for the first time, then to tell others, even visiting local schools etc, to give talks, because he believed nothing like this should ever happen again to anyone, Jew, gentile, black or white. His was a true story of triumph over adversity, and just one of the many described in this book, which is an education for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity, 1 Oct 2009
Anthony Hill "Gerry Hat Trick" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
If you would like to know what really happened in Poland and other countries where Jews were forcibly removed, raped, murdered and pillaged in the years before Hitler unleashed a full scale war, read this account of over 700 young Jewish children who endured the hell of Nazism, before escaping the ghettoes and then the concentration camps, before being taken to England at the end of the war. It makes very uncomfortable reading.

The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity
The Boys: Triumph Over Adversity by Martin Gilbert (Hardcover - 7 Oct 1996)
Used & New from: £0.01