5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, with a twist ending
Published on 2 Sep 2008 by Andy Hurley

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought the book on the back of the series
The book would have been better if I had not watched the series on TV first. The book is very different to the series and only bought the book as the BBC only did 2 series and did not commission the third series. Was none the wiser after reading the book sadly. Not the fault of the author though, book to read if you have not seen the series.
Published 23 months ago by Mrs Sally A Reeve

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, with a twist ending, 2 Sep 2008
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
I remember this series from the 70s though only got round to seeing it all last year (I only saw a few episodes originally as it was always bed-time!) The book follows the first series quite closely until about two thirds of the way though when it suddenly follows a new tack. Apparently this is the way Terry Nation would have liked the TV series to go but creative differences took over.

It's certainly a page turner and has you thinking how things would be these days if something similar happened. Ideal material for relaxing by the pool on holiday but probably not for the more sensitive reader. Gritty realism is the order of the day and the twist at the end is truly gut-wrenching.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sci-fi novel in its own right, 5 April 2009
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
I never saw the original 1970s TV series, but enjoyed the 2008 version and thought I'd check this out. I'm glad I did.

Rather than being just a tie-in novel to a TV series, this is a great post-apocalyptic survival story in its own right, on a par with (and in some ways with a lot in common with) other classics like "Day Of The Triffids" or "The Last Man".

The characters are rich and believable, and the problems the 'team' face in trying to regress to an electricity-less, telephone-less, leader-less society are strong issues that are just as important as they were 30 years ago, if not more so.

The speed of the story increases almost exponentially- the first half of the book covers only a few weeks' action (and is closely mirrored by both the 70s and 00s TV series), but then it steps into a different gear and before you know it, three years then five years have gone by. In this way the story stays gripping throughout.

Even if you haven't seen or didn't enjoy the TV series, treat this as a great sci-fi novel in its own right, and have a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by the Cover., 10 Dec 2008
Ant (Wigton, Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
If you're following the BBC remake series of Survivors it's worth being aware that the Terry Nation Novel has more in common with the 1970s original.

That said, the remade series, (though following similar storylines), is a poor imitation of the original, and the book, (of which both series are based),is again much better and darker than either television adaptations.

In short ... read the book ... (it's very good), but understand it only has passing similarities to the series most current on BBC 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars thrilling book...thought provoking, 8 Jan 2009
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
I have really enjoyed this book...it is relevant, thought provoking and well written. It is very stimulating and I kept thinking about issues it raised it long after I read it.I am going to try and enjoy all the luxuries that we take for granted and might get round to trying some gardening!!...just in case I ever need to survive!!! Can't wait to let my son read this...

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
This is the original story devised by the original TV series creator. The basic premise is the same rich seam of thought-provoking "what if's", but the plot differs from both the 1970's TV series and the 2008 one (which also differ from one another).
The focus is significantly darker(not least in the shock-ending) than either TV series. Having enjoyed both of those I found this an interesting insight into the original thoughts behind the series as well as a gripping yarn in its own right.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Interesting Read, 5 Feb 2009
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
I read this book in a day - it was such an easy read with a gripping story line. It is different from the TV drama, and not only because the book's setting is back in the 70s before the mass take up of technology, but because it covers a longer time period and there is no conspiracy with people in white coats studying the disease. The book is much more prosaic dealing with the real issues of survival when everything we've known has gone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Survivors - Terry Nation, 10 Nov 2008
G. M. Waller "Glenn" (Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
Terry Nation was very critical of the direction the TV series took, and if you read this you can see why. No cosiness, fashion, optimism. A bleak & grim book, not for the suicidally depressive! An existentialist novel of how people reacted positively to the end of the world, with am absurdist end. (How did they react to that? We don't know.) Despite this being one of my fave teenage books, mind you I have caveats. Before SURVIVORS I was a huge fan of John Wyndham, esp. THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS. Survivors is perhaps too reminiscent of Wyndham, although it removes all the beauty & hope. Again, they may both be accused of Cold War propagandism, although SURVIVORS may make a jibe at Arthur Scargill! On the other hand, Wyndham was not the first to write a post-apocolyptic novel. e.g., Earth Abides.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific read!, 9 April 2010
Retroboi (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to pick up a secondhand copy of the original hardcover American printing of this book and read it in two sittings. I could not put it down! I'm a big fan of the original 1970s television series and to a lesser extent the remake. This book has more in common with the original TV series and reading it I pictured the original cast of characters. Abby is as compelling on the page as she was on the screen and remains my favourite character.

The twist at the end of the book left me absolutely furious and I will always wonder what possessed Terry Nation to do that to his readers.

Well worth the asking price and your time to read it. It is a truly fascinating topic and will leave you wondering "What if it really happened..."

4.0 out of 5 stars good read but not at all like the t v series, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
Iloved the original series of survivors and looked forward to watching the recent new ones, so thought I would read the book. I enjoyed the book and read it in a couple of days, however it bore little resemlance to the new series and what I can remember of the old one it was more simaler but still quite different, having said that the book was great just a pity the tv series couldnt follow the story line more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Survivors, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Survivors (Paperback)
I was very happy to receive my copy of Survivrs--it was in god condition and whilst different to the DVD series it was the original and had a finish. Well written and whilst I guess the bok could nly end how it did, I was wishing for a little differnt ending.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Survivors
Survivors by Terry Nation (Hardcover - 29 July 1976)
Used & New from: £24.98