5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and accessible, 30 Jun. 2013
Sally Walker (Eastbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first of Antonia Fraser's books that I have read. Truth to tell I have hitherto resisted on the mistaken grounds that I thought her writing would be lightweight. This previous `thinking' I based on her popularity across the decades. Well more fool me!

Her writing is intelligent and accessible, a combination which makes for a good read.

This book is slim and thus represents somewhat of a fast canter through King James' life. It should be regarded as a good introduction, giving an overview from which one can dive deeper in other books - although these seem to be thin on the ground.

King James' contributions have largely been overlooked by later events in C17th, but it was he who gave us the beautifully written King James Bible and who `created' Great Britain, by the union of England and Scotland. He it was who first introduced Arab blood into racehorses and he had foresight in taking a very dim view of tobacco.

Fraser in her introduction tells us that she has attempted to portray James in the round, talking about both his good and his bad points and to put the latter, in particular within their context - primarily his cold, stern and at times dangerous upbringing and the debt that he inherited from his predecessor Elizabeth. I think she has achieved this; I detect no obvious bias.

It also reveals how James' reign, to an extent, set Charles I up on the collision course that became his reign.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in dipping his or her toe into the beginning of the Stuart dynasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A curtain-raiser, 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Life and Times of King James VI of Scotland, I of England (Kings & Queens of England S.) (Hardcover)
As King from 1603 to 1625, a not very interesting monarch reigned during a fascinating historical period. How long did it take for a Parliamentary groundswell to culminate in Britain's Civil War? How had Britain's rapport with Spain evolved between the Spanish Armada and the Thirty Years War? How Papist were James and his son Charles and why? As the author herself professes, this is more biographical essay than book, which is all you really need to help set the scene for the far more interesting developments in 17th century Europe - the Dutch, the New World, the Thirty Years War, the Sun King and so on. A short, valuable and elegant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Jame VI, 3 April 2013
Mrs. A. Rhodes "angie" (england) - See all my reviews
Brilliant,, once again, Antonia, gets it right, her books are amazing, and I have them all, love history? then her books are for you,

Used & New from: £0.05