5.0 out of 5 stars "Endurance" from a 14 year old
It seemed right that you should get a younger persons point of view on the book. So here it is.
Every second of this book was breath-taking and the remarkable characters never stopped amazing me with their never ceasing courage and determination to get home. Set during the first World War the crew of the Endurance are forgotton as their ship sinks leaving them...
Published on 30 Aug 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Endurance-never again complain of being cold,hungry or bored
UK EDITION: Lansing does a great job of conveying life on the ice with Shacklton's team and allows us to meet the men involved. I found myself constantly refering to the nominal role at the front of the book to check who did what. I would have liked even more background on the personalities, if only to stop me briefly hating those whose courage or determination fialed...
Published on 3 Jun 2000

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing tale of what human beings can do, 10 July 2013
A friend of mine recommended this book to me and I have to say I found it very difficult to put down. I almost felt the goose pimples when they team finally makes it way across. The style of writing is very lucid and portrays the day to day struggles of surviving in such harsh environments ever so well. Thoroughly recommend this book if you like to read on human courage and determination.

5.0 out of 5 stars A humbling experience, 1 May 2013
Put simply, reading this book is an utterly humbling experience. In an age of epic heroism, of bravery incomparable to our modern day experience, the men of Shackleton's Trans-antarctic Expedition have provided us with perhaps the greatest example of the limits of human endurance in our history. `Endurance' tells their story with clarity, restraint and a deep respect for all involved and their incredible achievements.

I read this book on the back of a few extremely enthusiastic recommendations. Initially I wasn't so keen. I knew little of Shackleton and his story, plus recreations of real events tend to leave me cold. In my experience they can seem little more than long lists of stuff that happened. `So we went there, then we did this, then this happened, so he did that and I did this' etc etc. I'm not saying that there are not moments like this in Endurance, it's just that the events themselves are so awe inspiring, the stakes so high and the odds so stacked that in the words of my friend, `the book infects your mind'. It's as though every time you put the book down you've left the men stranded and the only way to get them out is to read and to keep reading. I was up late the night I finished it and even then it took 30 minutes of staring at the ceiling to shake the effect of the final few chapters.

The author Alfred Lansing, as well creating an important historical account, has written a real page turner by pairing the story down to just what is necessary to tell the tale. I have read reviews which bemoan the lack of context as a missed opportunity, that the events would have more weight if they were contrasted with the war in Europe and the sufferings of the young men in the fields of France. For me this would have dampened the profound feeling of isolation which was perhaps the most affecting aspect of the story. The men spent months marooned, camping on ice. They sailed in tiny boats at the mercy of the elements in the most hostile seas on the planet. All the while knowing nothing of the outside world and dealing constantly with the knowledge that nobody, not a single soul, knew where they were or that they were even alive. I get anxious if I misplace my iPhone. To Shackleton and his men there was no context save for the ice, the sea and their survival. Anything else would have only served to distract, to muddy the focus of events which need no embellishment. The author does allow himself some moments of florid prose but it's always just enough, never over the top and always justified.

I've chosen to give this book five stars for the simple reason that any other rating would require me to suggest improvements and I cannot. It is an incredible story told with clarity and an authority which comes from unprecedented access to the survivors and their diaries. It's a real and important achievement, a testament to those involved and a startling reality check for everybody in our mollycoddled society, the reading of which, if I had any say in the matter, would be mandatory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling read, 28 April 2013
A compelling read about this epic journey. Well written account a real page turner. I've since recommended to family members who have been similarly enthralled.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible indeed, 7 Feb 2013
I am really enjoying the book. Well written and you get to understand how the men must have felt. Only half way through but so far so good

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic; every man should read it and be proud they did!, 29 Jan 2013
Riverwater (Albatera, Spain) - See all my reviews
Just..... read it and you will feel you are taking part. A true adventure, brave men and one of our
greatest leaders.

4.0 out of 5 stars An incredible journey in appalling conditions., 25 Jan 2013
A most incredible journey undertaken in an age when there were no luxuries or tele-communication systems. A story of couraage and endurance in the most appalling conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shackletons Voyage, 15 Jan 2013
This book was bought as a Christmas present for a friend who was extremely pleased with it.
Service was excellent and the book was exactly as described.

5.0 out of 5 stars great easy read, 31 Dec 2012
Product arrived on schedule. Best book of this type I have read, easy to read and enjoyable. Very descriptive and not drawn out.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BOOK, 21 Nov 2012
and never moan about the petty things in life again.
This true story leaves you in awe of these men and their fight for survival and puts modern day exploration onto a very mundane level. So... READ THIS BOOK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lansing does a super job recounting an incredible adventure, 6 Sep 2012
Alfredo Hamill (Naples, Italy) - See all my reviews
As with Scott, Shackleton is rememebered today for a hopeless disaster, but from which he was able to save himself and his entire crew by a superbly heroic effort. Actually, I think his failed attempt to reach the South Pole in the 1909 Nimrod expedition was equally heroic and amazing (Amundsen said that he had blazed his name in history with letters of fire), though that was a disaster, too, and brought on by his poor planning, typical of both himself and Scott. Indeed, while Scott was essentially inept and out his depth, Shackleton had a good grasp of the task in hand, but was pushed by such enormous ambition that he allowed himself to cut corners dangerously, risking the lives of his men, when funding did not provide for all that was necessary. The story of the Ross Sea Party is emblamatic. His efforts to save the crew of the Endurance, though, particularly as retold here by Alfred Lansing, is unbelievably gripping! The final stage, with the boat journey to South Georgia and the trek over the mountains, gave him a highly deserved reputation for courage and daring, and is one of the greatest adventure stories you could ever imagine to read.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 | Next ›

Endurance
Endurance by Alfred Lansing (Hardcover - 14 Sep 2000)
20.00