on 8 June 1997
"100 Love Sonnets" was my introduction to Pablo Neruda, and I have to say these are some of the most beautiful poems that I have ever read. I'm not a huge poetry fan, and so I was amazed that I read all the poems all the way through in one sitting. Anyone who has ever loved someone will feel these poems flow though their soul. Anyone who has ever tried to write a love poem, this is the standard by which they are judged.
The sonnets are presented in the original Spanish, and translated to English by Stephen Tapscott. Tapscott should be commended for translating the poems without them losing any power or beauty.
Reading these poems isn't enough, they need to be read aloud. The Spanish (even with a mangled accent like mine) is very lyrical and beautiful. I've found that reading the English, so I understand the poem better, helps me to read the Spanish with the proper passion they deserve.
If you're even the slightest bit romantic, this book should be in your home. I don't own any other poetry books, but I will never lose my copy of "100 Love Sonnets".
on 11 April 2002
I bought this book on impulse after my girlfriend and I split up. Not really being one for poetry I was struck by the power the words of Neruda can convey. He manages to put all the emotions that come when you are in love with someone into something so short as one of his sonnets. If you are in love with someone, buy this for them, read it to them in English and in Spanish and make them know you mean it. If you aren't in love with someone you will appreciate the power of that emotion. It won't save a relationship, but if you have trouble telling someone you love them, this would be a good way of showing it. I wish I had bought this for my ex and that I could read just one sonnet to her now and that she'd know that I mean it.
on 5 November 1998
Pablo Neruda is a man who understood how to express his love for a person openly and honestly. I find his word choices exqusite and delightful. It shows his deep and seemingly endless love for his third wife, Matilde Urrutia. It can only make one wish to have known this literary genius and to have learned at his feet. If every male in the world was as gifted as he was, even fractionally, I can't believe that there would ever be an unhappy couple in the world. If you love gut wrenching sonnets of love, this is the ONLY book for it. this proves that something good did come out of the 60's, and it's still comming!
on 20 July 1999
I too like many readers became infatuated with the lone poem from the movie "Patch Adams". It gives a new meaning to love and it encompasses what love should really be. I suggest to readers to enjoy the poem in spanish. It captures even more than the english version a profound meaning. Other poems in the book are also excellent.
I am a huge fan of Pablo's and have 7 of his books, his love poems are second to none, he writes with such emotion, his way with words is breathtaking and he writes with passion and his poems are sensual, romantic and beautiful.

With lines like "Your body is smooth as stones in the water;
your kisses are clusters of fruit, fresh with dew" you will be transported into dreamland!

I highly recommend his love poems and this is one of my favourite books of his along with "love poems" and 20 love poems and a song of despair"Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair

He has inspired some of my work to become more sensual!

Review by Juliette Westbrook-Finch, author of The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)
on 21 February 1998
I was introduced to Neruda almost 20 years ago. Being spanish speaking I've read most of Neruda's works but this has to be one of the best translations I've seen.
on 3 September 1999
Pablo Neruda captured the hearts of many people, especially me. I fell in love with Sonnet 17 in English class my senior year of High School. Then to hear it in one of the best movies, Patch Adams, was so incredible. It says exactly what I want to say to someone I really love but have no words for.
on 1 January 1999
Pablos Neruda's love poems and I have been sharing life for 20 years. His words roar with passion, and yet the bubble of the smallest brook can be heard. His passion is the land where he lives. His passion is his beloved. His analogys between the land and his lover are earthy, full of life, hands who have tilled the soil, and now touch the soft underside of a flower petal. Neruda poems are strong and urgent and alive. In Captains Verses read "Your Laughter" one of my favorites. What is more life sustaining then the laughter of a love,r old or new. The smells and sounds of the earth are everlasting, ever new, and primordial, as are Neruda's love poems
on 24 May 2010
I love all Pablo's love poems and this book is one of may favourites and as you can see by the title it contains 100 poems whereas his "20 love poems and a song of Despair" only has 21 but both are top quality books containing beautiful poetry, I actually recommend both!

This book is divided into chapters "Morning", "Afternoon", "Evening" and "Night" and has an index of 1st lines at the back and it's all in both English and Spanish.

He dedicated this book to his beloved Mathilde in October 1959 and the paragraph he wrote to her at the front of the book is written so beautifully that the wording is poetic even though it's not a poem.

Tihs book is sensual, poetic, beautiful and I highly recommend it, links below to another 2 books of love poems that I also highly recommend:

The Poetry of Passion (for People with a Pulse)

Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair
on 29 December 1998
Neruda uses nature imagery to convey the deepest and most sincere feelings. Neruda prefers to keep his poetry simple and pure and does not use complex and arcane vocabulary. He has written the best poetry I've yet to read. It is beautiful in its simplicity and its impact on the reader's soul and imagination. While many poets try to cloak, cover, and exagerrate with their words, every line Neruda writes uncovers and lets us see what lies resident in his soul.