5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you use the CD as often as possible!!
Published on 7 Aug. 2009 by Ms. E. Holt

2.0 out of 5 stars Ideology as much as self-help
Published on 9 Feb. 2011 by Hello

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you use the CD as often as possible!!, 7 Aug. 2009
Ms. E. Holt - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hypnobirthing: The Breakthrough to Safer, Easier, More Comfortable Childbirth (Paperback)
I was sceptical when I finished reading the book but as my nearerst hospital was so overcrowded I decided to go with it and aim for a water birth at home. I listened to the CD whenever I could and it helped me relax throughout my pregnancy. To be honest I expected it to not be a massive help during the labour as I hadn't done classes but I couldn't have been more wrong. When my contractions started I bunged my ipod on along with my tens machine and listened to the CD again and again. I wasn't aware that I had got into a hypnotised state because the pain was still intense but by the time the midwives got to me I had got to 8cm dilated with no pain relief and was ready to get into the birth pool and go for it. I had gas and air which was a god send and I was in labour for 9 hours. I truly believe the hypnobirthing/ home birth (no stressful moving around to get to hospital) and birth pool combination can really work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ideology as much as self-help, 9 Feb. 2011
Supporters of this book will all insist that it should be used in conjunction with a course, and this is true, because you can't do hypnotherapy from a page. However, it should also be pointed out that hypnobirth courses are expensive, to the tune of several hundred pounds. This is a business as much as a book. You can use a similar method with Natal Hypnotherapy for much less money. (Although Natal Hynotherapy isn't without its faults either.)

As to the book itself - well, be a little wary. Some of it is basic common sense: the more fearful you are, the more intensely you will experience pain. Breathing and visualisation can relax you. This is all perfectly true and reasonable.

Some of it is rather affected by the idea of other cultures being 'Noble Savages' - it doesn't use that phrase, but it's very starry-eyed about how other cultures don't use pain relief as if that's always good for the woman, which is just not the case: some women in cultures without medical pain relief have a terrible time. It's also rather judgmental about using pain relief, which is not good news if your birth turns out to be difficult, because generally speaking women who used pain relief are women who found the pain unbearable and will be feeling emotionally fragile as it is.

An important fact can be seen in the opening chapters: the author found that with relaxation, she was able to bear her own children with little pain and distress. Okay, so that speaks to the value of her method, but it also speaks to the fact that she found childbirth comparatively easy: she didn't have to deal with a labour that went on for days, or had the baby in the wrong position, find her labour stalled, or generally speaking had problems that would make things more painful. Reading the book, I got the feeling that she didn't quite grasp that this was not everyone's experience - or possibly that she blamed all labour complications on doctors or bad attitudes and forgot that before medical technology was advanced, death in childbirth was very common, good attitude or not.

She also talks of how in her first two births, doctors intervened at the last minute and imposed on her pain relief that she didn't want or need. This is very bad, but again, I got the feeling that she didn't quite grasp that pain relief isn't an intrusion forced on every woman by doctors who don't understand her. Forcing pain relief on a woman who doesn't want it is cruel, but so is denying pain relief to a woman who needs it, and this book edges towards that cruelty by implying that pain relief is a sign of being brainwashed by doctors. There's a hostility to medicine here that is not in the interests of the many women who will find that medical intervention is something they turn out to need after all.

If it works for you, you'll feel extremely excited about it and praise it to the skies. But it isn't going to work for everyone, the courses are excessively expensive, the author's understanding of other cultures is at times sentimental and patronising, and if it doesn't work for you you'll probably end up feeling worse for having read a book that so explicitly links the pain of childbirth with a bad attitude - it'll make it easier to believe that your suffering was your own fault.

In general, it's a book that's going to get either loved or hated, depending on the birth experience, so shop around for cheaper options and bear in mind that the praising voices are only one side of the story, is my advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you are expecting or planning a baby, 31 Mar. 2013
I wish that the NHS would offer the Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing course to all pregnant women as I believe that it would help more women to have a smooth and positive birthing experience.

I went to hospital after my waters broke at 2.30am in the morning. Had been having contractions during the day but thought that they were Braxton Hicks and got on with my daily routine.

Was put on monnitor when I arrived at hospital but MW didn't check how far on I was. As birthing pool was in use at that point, she allowed me to use the bath. After about an a hour, I felt that I wanted to push so asked my Husband to get the MW who checked me and discovered I was 9cm. Was taken up to birthing pool and healthy first baby (8lb 4oz) born at 7.30am. No pain relief- I just followed the breathing and relaxation techniques in the book.

The book also contains a lot of information about how the birthing process "works" and how to work with our bodies.

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, 30 April 2014
Insight into breathing techniques were good to practice
Would be nice to know how to access tapes and music etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 13 Feb. 2013
I didn't get an opportunity to use this for a natural birth as I'd hoped but the techniques were still so useful during the entire labour & birth process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, effective & common sense, 16 Mar. 2008
I read this book and attended a course when I was pregnant, and had the most incredible birth. Imagine getting to 8cm without knowing it and to the amazement of midwives. My birth was comfortable, exhilerating and wonderful. I'd recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all pregnant women, 18 Jan. 2013
I was really anxious and fearful about childbirth in the last trimester; although previously i have had a straight forward delivery with my first child five years ago. Reading this book completely calmed my nerves and changed my mindset. I would highly recommend it and the cd. A really revolutinary method.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing for a gentle birth, 19 Jan. 2014
Excellent reading for anyone keen to pursue a natural birth with confidence and to be thoroughly informed on how the body can achieve this without fear or unnecessary intervention. I will be recommending it to my cients.
Alison Grunwald (Doula UK recognised birth and postnatal doula, London).
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it worked for me!, 25 Oct. 2013
Realty good theory with led to a pain free birth but more importantly one I is enjoyed!! I think you need to take from it what you want as I don't think I agreed with every page but overall a fantastic concept that helped me anyway! I did so the course as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Our lass' loved it!, 11 Feb. 2013
Downloaded this at the request of my other half and she read it in a day and loved it! The young un hasn't arrived yet so can't tell you if it works!

Hypnobirthing: The Breakthrough to Safer, Easier, More Comfortable Childbirth