5.0 out of 5 stars The Best How-To Book I've Read, 18 July 2009
Dr. H. Kara (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solutions for Writers: Practical Craft Techniques for Fiction and Non-fiction (Paperback)
The first book of Mr Stein's I read was 'Solutions for Novelists', which is also a very good book, but one that made me cross. When I reached the chapter on revising - the chapter I was, at the time, most interested in - it said 'the method I recommend is covered in another book of mine, Solutions for Writers'. At first I thought that was a money-grabbing ploy to sell more books, and swore I would never buy or read another book by Mr Stein. But after I calmed down, and thought about how much I'd learned from 'Solutions for Novelists', I decided to stretch a point, and I'm very glad I did.

I have read around 40 how-to books on writing, and if I had to choose one to take to a desert island, it would be this one. It really does include so many practical solutions that I now re-read it regularly, turning to particular chapters for specific issues, and re-reading from cover to cover every couple of years. The book covers fiction and non-fiction, and makes the point that many of the same techniques need to be used by writers in both camps, to make writing come alive and appeal to its readers. Mr Stein's writing style is very clear and readable, frequently humorous, and based on decades of knowledge and experience. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of gems and practical advice, 24 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Working on the umpteenth draft of my second novel, this book has pointed out all the mistakes I made in the original planning phase. I realise now why my book 'sags' in the middle. Thankfully, 'Solutions' offers supremely practical ... well, solutions. With tips from chapter 9, 'Suspense: Keeping the Reader Reading', I should be able to fix the sag.
There are also techniques for non-fiction writers, worth reading even if you have never written an article and never intend to.
'Solutions for Writers' is also full of great quotes, like Vonnegut's "Make your characters want something right away even if it's only a glass of water." But my favourite is one in the chapter titled 'Liposuctioning Flab' which I'd never come across before: "If you catch an adjective, kill it!" (Mark Twain)
There's also a fun Ten Commandments for Writers at the end. Commandment number 8: "Thou shalt have no rest on the sabbath, for thy characters shall live in thy mind and memory now and forever."
I'm just glad I've found this book before plotting out novel number three!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely useful insights for any writer, 19 Sep 2004
Rolo "rolo211" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'd written a whole novel before I picked up Sol Stein's book and started reading it seriously. I so wish I'd done that before.
It is packed with genuinely useful insights, written in a witty, anecdotal style that is a pleasure to read. Much of the advice evoked the 'yeah, yeah, know all that stuff' response at first sight. When I picked it up again, months later, it immediately highlighted many weakness and problems in my own work. He opens our eyes to the obvious faults we fail to notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solutions for Writers, 28 Sep 2010
A. C. Hull (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
~For anyone starting out as a writer, or wanting to improve their writing, this is an excellent resource. As an editor, it is definitely something I would recommend to writers, and I would also use it on the writers' courses I teach on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, 12 Aug 2014
Forget all other guides to improving your writing, this one's definitive. A truly excellent book - and recommended by publishers. Practical and full of examples which show you how to transform your writing. Unreservedly recommended; an indispensable guide to how to get it right, clearly and eloquently written by a man who ought to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an excellent guide, 19 Nov 2012
This book was recommended me to a leading professional in the writing industry and I have to agree - What an excellent guide to writing. The concise chapters meant I could learn something new everyday and I've already put some of the advice to good effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars the go to book for how to write, 7 July 2014
Stein gives the advice you need, clearly, concisely and cleverly. Should be required reading for all would be/could be writers

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for my dad, 25 Jun 2014
My dad makes movies and writes stories and he loves this book. He has already learned a million knew tricks and rules and I can see the difference in his writing... and he's only 1/4 the way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few good ideas, 9 Nov 2013
Alexander McKay (Edinburgh UK) - See all my reviews
Given as a present to a daughter, I can say, second hand, she found it useful. Or so she told me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book., 24 Sep 2013
Book lives up to the accolades it has been given. Really interesting reading. Many hints and tips for writers but also provides a really good guide for a reader as to how good novels work. Explains exactly why those novels that somehow disappointed you got it wrong. Clear explanations and good examples.

Solutions for Writers: Practical Craft Techniques for Fiction and Non-fiction