4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Little Book
My Mum will be getting this book for her birthday next week, she loves purple and I can totally see her growing into this kind of woman, if she's not there already :-P
Published on 28 Oct 2010 by H. L. Andrews

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 26 Jan 2006 by Tiffany

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Jan 2006
Tiffany (Chandlers Ford, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warning: When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple (Hardcover)
Although the phrase 'when I am an old woman I shall wear purple' rang a bell with me, I did not know exactly what it was. Of course, when I received the book I remembered the fabulous poem of that title. Therefore I was a little disappointed by this book as all it is is the 20 lines of the poem split into one line per page, each with a not-particularly exciting sketch. I had bought it as a gift for a female relatives 60th birthday, but I feel it will take her 2 minutes to read the book, and then it doesn't have enough interest to warrant reading again. Disappointing. Maybe I should have spent longer racking my brains as to what 'When I am an old woman...' meant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Little Book, 28 Oct 2010
H. L. Andrews "FunkySheeep" (Hastings, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning When I am an Old Woman I shall wear purple, 4 Oct 2002
This is the book every woman should have! When ever you feel down in the mouth, it will make you laugh, cheer you up, and bring back a little defiance and fun! When I say to my female friends ''When I am old I shall wear purple'' they know EXACTLY what I mean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun little book, 9 Sep 2009
This book evokes many laughs, whatever age you are, well worth a look, it is bound to cheer you up!

5.0 out of 5 stars When I am old -Poem, 17 Aug 2009
Mrs. M. E. Edmondson (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I first discovered this poem about 12 years ago and used it in a Basic Skills English class. It inspired my adult learners and became a 'staple' item in my poetry teaching. My students asked if a copy of the book could be the prize for poetry that year and I was happy to oblige.

5.0 out of 5 stars A few words of advice..., 20 Aug 2001
By A Customer
Do you have a mother? If so, we have something in common. Now, could it be that your mother is a woman at that certain age? You're grown up, aren't you? You've been to university, you have a career, and a partner. You are also landed with a couple of toddlers, a crippling mortgage, and the prospect of years and years of school fees. There! I knew I was right. What is more you need your mother to help you through, don't you? Go on, admit it, you do. Nil desperandum. She will not let you down. She is well aware, as Jenny Joseph assures us, of the need to 'have clothes that keep us dry /And pay our rent and not swear in the street /And set a good example for the children'.
However, while your mother is being the tower of strength every mother ought to be, she has plans, not just to 'have friends for dinner' but for a future with a difference, at least different from the one you imagine for her. Your mother, like countless other women at this certain age, is dreaming of her second adolescence, a time at which she can rebel against your expectations and, as Jenny Joseph puts it, 'make up for the sobriety of my youth'. It is this second adolescence that Ms Joseph's poem illustrates in her funny, poignant scenarios of a woman, not too unlike our mothers, who plans to 'wear purple /With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me'.
Remember, Jenny Joseph's poem is titled "Warning". Invest in this little book, with its hilariously irreverent illustrations by Pythia Ashton-Jewell, and prepare yourself for a mother who flitters her 'pension on brandy and summer gloves /And satin sandals'. Better still, buy this book for your mother and watch her face. You run the risk that it would never have occurred to her to 'eat three pounds of sausages at a go' but the chances are she'll recognize herself in the character musing as to whether she 'ought to practice a little now?'. Go on! She'll love it. And you never know, she might even forgive you for forgetting Mother's Day!

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's My Stick?, 19 Aug 2011
When I am old is a brilliant book for any woman over 50 or unhappily approaching retirement. If they are not laughing once they have read it, there's no hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars best poem ever, 30 Mar 2011
Mrs. D. Clarke "love to read" (birmingham england) - See all my reviews
love this poem, great little book, just fits in my handbag, i take it out, read it and smile, fair price for fair quality thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars When I am old I shall wear purple., 25 Oct 2010
E. Dixon (Burnley.U.K.) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely little book which is nicely illustrated.
A nice gift or just to keep for pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have worn purple for years!, 20 Jun 2010
catwoman (bristol, england) - See all my reviews
I was given a photocopy of this years ago and loved it, but lost it! Found this via a google search and am delighted with it. The illustrations are simple but as I would have done them if I could draw! Superb value for money and arrived well packed and protected.

Warning: When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple
Warning: When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple by Jenny Joseph (Hardcover - 6 Nov 1997)