4.0 out of 5 stars Debunking Inflated Metaphors
Published on 11 July 2009 by Simon Darragh

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I bought this a present for my Dad who is a fan of a nice bottle of wine (or two). To be honest, I don't know what I was expecting, but I don't think this was it. The illustrations are good, and there's humour in there, but I feel like there's something lacking. That said, my Dad seemed to love it, so maybe you just need to appreciate wine to appreciate this book.
Published on 30 Dec. 2010 by Lulu

4.0 out of 5 stars Debunking Inflated Metaphors, 11 July 2009
Simon Darragh - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
Everyone except the humourless snob snorts with derision at the fanciful language used by the bottlers of wine and the television 'experts', but it takes the witty art of Ronald Searle to reveal just how silly such talk is. He does it by taking its metaphors semi-literally; typically by applying them to a person (usually a woman) in his delightful politically incorrect way.
A book to be enjoyed by all who like wine and many who don't; it might even make a pretentious connoiseur laugh at himself.
Arresting and surprising, with a fruitiness that is complimented rather than negated by its acidity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winespeak, a book for all wine lovers, 28 Dec. 2009
Mrs. Alison J. Christie (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
If you love wine and have a sense of humour about some of the more pretentious descriptions of the fermented fruit of the grape, this is the book for you...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 30 Dec. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 14 May 2011
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
I wanted some small gift for friends who produce their own wines and this was just the ticket. The condition of the 'used' books was excellent - I would never have known they were not new. Certainly the reaction of one of the recipients was one of great enjoyment and I look forward his wine labels next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
Excellent entertaining book individual prints would make good framed pictures for display in a kitchen or similar room. A good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely entertaining, 14 Feb. 2014
M. D. (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
We came a cross this book while on holiday in New Zealand- it was left as a bathroom read in one of the holiday houses we rented. It is a very well presented book, with great satiric sketches and corresponding one-liners, all related to wine drinking.

Any wine lover would love flicking through the book and have a good chuckle with it. In fact we enjoyed it so much, I ordered couple as soon as we came back from our holiday- one as a present and one for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for wine lovers., 24 Mar. 2000
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
This is a compilation of brilliant illustrations accompanied by the standard "wine talk" phrases. An ideal gift for any wino!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 18 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
Always been a fan of Ronald Searle and thoroughly enjoyed his cartoons. Can certainly recommend. Buy it if you can.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite funny. Quite rude. Wine required., 4 Feb. 2009
not_a_real_folkie "not_a_real_folkie" (Farnham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Illustrated Winespeak (Hardcover)
These Searle cartoons are quite funny - not really double-you-up funny, but quite funny. One imagines that, after a few agreeable glasses of plonk, however, they could become the funniesht jokesh I've *ever* heard!! Cheeky nose!!!!! A-HA-HA-HAAAH!!!

A bit close to the knuckle in a few places as well - in a quaint, slightly lovable, 1970s sort of way. A joke about their knockers there, etc.

We bought it to give as a Christmas present but felt it might not get the wholehearted reception we hoped for unless accompanied by several bottles of Chateau Sexist-pun 1969, fwah, fwah, fwah! So we kept it, and... you know... after a few glasses it is quite funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 7 Feb. 2015
great fun

The Illustrated Winespeak
The Illustrated Winespeak by Ronald Searle (Hardcover - 31 Dec. 1983)