on 26 July 2004
As they say never judge a book by its cover, this is totally tru. I expected the book to be a sentimental, stereotypical 'woman's book', surprisingly the book kept me on the edge of my seat not wanting to put it down, reading it in the bathroom and fighting sleep to read what happened next. I was so engrossed in the book I felt that I was actually in the book. I was so pleased with the Legacy that I even brought the Talisman, which I have started reading yesterday and have nearly finished, as the first book makes you want more.
I would recommend this book to everyone, men to find out what we want in a man (Freedom Stubbs- soft, gentle, masculine and from the descriptions really really goodlooking - bring him to life) and for the women and good escape from reality to imgaine finding what youve always wanted and losing it - breaking your heart. If you don't shed a tear then youve got no heart, as when reading this book you actually feel the emotions that Evelyn is going through.
on 26 July 2002
Although I do not read many books to the end, I found The Legacy hard to put down. Suprisingly I even felt like I was going through all of the emotions that the book had to offer. When it was finished, I was wanting more of the same. So now I am ordering the next book of Lynda La Plante's and hoping that I am about to enjoy this book as much as the last. To anyone who enjoys a good book, I would recommend this.
on 30 April 2000
A book that contains everything a good read should - love, lust, intrigue, jealousy, heartache and action. You will not be able to put this book down as you will have to know what happens to the characters as their lives and loves intertwine to create a book of imense power with a uniquely rich writing style.
on 13 January 2013
It holds your attention and has a good story line. I have read a good lot of Lynda La Plante books and have never been dissapointed.
on 29 October 2013
Longtime admirer of LLP, so I'm amazed she wrote this boring tosh. Overly long , repetative, and found myself speed-reading practically the whole of the book disbelievingly. So predictable, absolutely no "edge of the seat" moments at all. And boxing??? Oh, the reams devoted to that subject............YAWN ......HUGE YAWN! As for the ending....WHAT ENDING? Please, please,LLP, stick to what you do best and acknowledge that this genre just "ain't your bag!!!
on 8 November 2012
Just finished reading The Legacy,absolutely, one of her very best stories, and am about to start The Talisman.a continuation of this saga. It was interesting to find out that this was one of the Author,s own favourite.stories. If you are a fan of this lady , nuff said , grab a copy and enjoy, both books, via Amazon.
on 12 January 2007
I just loved this book and didnt want to put it down, I was intrigued to learn about the romany traditions and the conditions that the welsh miners and their families had to endure. The heroine Evelyn was an inspiration and I just couldnt wait to read the follow up book The Talisman. I strongly recommend this book it isnt to be rushed.
on 9 March 2015
Lynda la Plante writes in such a way that you feel you are part of the emotion within the story . Your heart quickens and you gasp with dismay ,you also smile and wonder at other parts of her writing . Thank you once again for an excellent storylines
on 10 January 2015
Lynda la Plants made her name with intricately plotted crime thrillers and this has crime, plot twists, strong female characters and some triumphs and disasters, but is more of a love story and insight into Romany lore than the law. For me it is seriously marred by the sloppy and inaccurate transcription with incorrect words and chopping of words evident in the kindle version. The author is not to blame for that apart from allowing such shoddy proof reading to be published in her name. I have removed a star for the Americanisms that have been inserted in a work by an English author that just jar the sensibilities, especially those portions of the tale set in UK. A couple of.examples are: pants instead of trousers and morgue in place of mortuary.
on 9 December 2012
This is a book that was so lovely I did not want to finish it. Totally different from Lynda's usual style of writing, as it was meant to be, but gripping from the start to the end and very sad. What a story and as usual with Lynda - researched so well.

She proves with this that she is such a versatile writer as this was a romance story and I have also read the 2nd part The Talisman as well.

One of the loveliest books I have ever read and I have read most of Linda's - I look forward to reading all her others. My only grouch is hardly any of her books are available on Kindle - I wish they were then I could get them instantly.

I give this book 5 stars without hesitation.