5.0 out of 5 stars Sociopath
An excellent book, which I wish I had read 40 years ago. I have told my children all about it, and feel it will help them to understand some colleagues?bosses.
Published 10 months ago by Rudyard Kipling

1.0 out of 5 stars A BORING CELEBRATION OF PSYCHOPATHY / SOCIOPATHY
Published 26 days ago by Bea

5.0 out of 5 stars Sociopath, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding In Plain Sight (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Confessions of a Sociopath., 26 Nov 2013
A bit too long winded, but nevertheless very interesting, a valued lesson on a type of personality some may be compelled to try and change for the greater good, and why not to bother. A great insight on how to manage such a personality if they cannot be avoided for so offen they cannot be removed from any contact, as so many of us know at least one sociopath.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read..., 23 Jun 2013
a new perspective on a popular subject .
This book is a lively fast moving read which I thoroughly enjoyed.
If psychopaths have crossed your life, I can thoroughly recommend it!

1.0 out of 5 stars A BORING CELEBRATION OF PSYCHOPATHY / SOCIOPATHY, 29 Jun 2014
I've read much about psychopaths / sociopaths, and I have to say I found this read to be both boring and nauseating. The prose is poor, the overall structure is crude and the writer repeats herself over and over, and over! (Pun intended.) It appears to me she wants to present some kind of celebration of psychopathy, when what she has presented instead is a very good treatise about why this seriously disordered personality type is despised by the rest of society. M E Thomas strikes me as an unkind, selfish, empty and lonely specimen who uses her grandiosity and egocentrism to compensate for this, as do many of her ilk. You can get the main threads of the book from the internet and the website sociopath world.com, so I really wouldn't waste your money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, well written insight, 4 Sep 2013
T. Houston (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was - in places - really shocking. But some parts created envy that you could live a life not caught up in doing the right things by others or being preoccupied by guilt or negative feeling.

Undoubtedly there are parts of a sociopathic personality in us all at least some of the time, and you can't help but think about people you know to wonder if any of them would fit that 'label'.

It was well written with a number of insightful personal anecdotes, and I found it very entertaining - I couldn't put it down. I've never read anything on sociopaths, so I have nothing against which to judge the book, but I'm still thinking about it a week after finishing it, so I'd definitely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 30 Dec 2013
O. Dairo (London) - See all my reviews
The book promised so much but did not quite deliver. Halfway into the book and it still felt like an introduction.
I wouldnt call it an auto-biography or even a memoir ... it is more an apologist's account of sociapathy.

The theme itself is probably more interesting that the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening and very relevant, 8 July 2013
This book is very moving as a personal account of Ms Thomas's life and mental health. It is very relevant to understanding current relationships with colleagues and acquaintances, and could help with self-understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Book, 2 Jan 2014
Really enjoyed this book, what an insight it gave me. A must read for any body in psychology or interested in people.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing insight, 28 Nov 2013
this book is an instant classic. it's almost up there with some of my favorite works of Freud, Berne and Morris.

you need to suspend all judgement before you dive into it: judgement of yourself or others.

it's mostly autobiographic, with interesting insights and analysis from the author on her behavior and that of others in her life. unlike most works in psychology and sociology, the author is not detached from the subjects: she is both.

if you're not alert, you'll find yourself relating with the author or the others in the book and this will greatly diminish the amount of insight and wisdom you can derive from this excellent work!

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilling - look back on your social encounters with new eyes!, 15 Oct 2013
I read this book because I think so many of us get hurt, puzzled, disarmed and thoroughly shaken up by our encounters with these pretty awful people, and I really wanted to be a bit more fore-armed than I have been before.

This book helped me.

It is not possible for me to like the woman who wrote it - no, not at all. But I do have respect for her for having written it and for offering anyone who enquires directly the opportunity to know her real identity. (I shan't be bothering).

However, I shall learn from her technique of memorising stacks of information about her "targets" (normal people) and the things they want and value (in order that she can then exploit them), so that I can recognise her breed when I meet them, and move on quickly.

I don't want to spend any more time agonising over the behaviour of the hurtful people I meet in life than is necessary. The world is made up of many types, but these ones I can do without. There are plenty of nice people out there after all!

Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding In Plain Sight
Confessions of a Sociopath: A Life Spent Hiding In Plain Sight by M. E. Thomas (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
9.09