5.0 out of 5 stars Denise Welch - Speaks from the heart
As a fellow sufferer of depression I must admit I thought Denise's book would show some sides of it but bearing in mind how successful she is I didnt expect it to be as excellent as it is. Denise explains it as it is and at some times I had to put the book down as it was like looking in the mirror. The good thing with the book is it isnt all doom and gloom and I was...
Published on 1 Jun. 2010 by K. L. Park

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another typical autobiography
Well for me this was just an "alright" kinda book. Yes i know its another celeb autobiography but i do get drawn to them. Its an honest account of her life from start to how it is today. She appeared to have a good childhood and a very supporting family. She found her husband, but had an affair (tough to admit in an autobiography and hard for her family to hear i am...
Published on 11 Jun. 2010 by rieriej

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Denise Welch, stick to acting, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Pulling Myself Together (Hardcover)
Denise Welch, ah how I used to think you were such a pretty young girl and so innocent. Well this book destroyed the myth in the first couple of chapters. Ah for the days of innocence, true love and fidelity. Also why do some people think that because they have chosen a career in the media spotlight that they are good at everything, singing,dancing,acting presenting and being an author. The acting bit I think is quite good, but as for singing and dancing I had never heard of anything she had done in that area. When it comes to writing well I gave up after reading half the book it was such heavy going. Just stick to acting love, leave writing to someone who knows what they are doing and has a bit of style.I'm sure people will buy this rubbish, I' just glad I don't have to air my dirty washing in public to earn a few quid

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but..., 27 May 2012
I read this book ages ago but didn't review it because I wanted to consider why my opinion of Denise had changed. She has had some bad press recently, partly due to her reputation as a party girl. I didn't want to give a knee-jerk reaction to the book because I have always liked Denise & wanted to defend her. I know something of Depression & felt that some people didn't give due consideration to the effects of this. I applaud her honesty in telling her story. I think there is always something to learn whenever anybody tells of their experience of Depression. However, gradually I came to believe that Denise was quite selfish. She says in the book (& has repeated this on Loose Women) that she would rather make a joke about someone than take a moment to think about their feelings. This spoilt it for me & I haven't been able to think of her in the same way since. Her recent assertions on TV that her family adore her & 'love the bones of her' seem a touch boastful even if they do love her. Funny how other people think well of her yet she wouldn't think of them at all if there was a gag to be told. Her appearance on Celebrity Big Brother made her seem a bit deluded despite the fact that she often comes across as quite intelligent. I suspect there may be a follow up to this book. I wonder if Denise will grasp the fact that she can let her hair down & have fun whatever her age, but most people adapt their behaviour to act appropriately depending on their company & the occasion. If she still wants to be semi naked in a pool with a teenager in years to come I don't think she will deal with the ageing process very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 24 Nov. 2010
This proved a disapointing read for me. I like Denise as an actress and as a Loose woman. I guess I expected her autobiography to be more reflective due to having heard her comment on various issues effecting women, including her own experiences of suffering chronic depression. Unfortunately, this is a fairly monotonous treck through events in her life, spanning childhood to recent years, with little or no reflection. I finished it, but it was uninspiring.

1.0 out of 5 stars sooooooo boring, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Pulling Myself Together (Hardcover)
This book is such as boring read. I've given up half way through because I cannot take anymore. I quite liked Denise before reading this book however now I will look at her in a different light. All the name dropping and talk of how popular she was made me roll my eyes on more than one occasion. Very selfish and very boring!!! waste of £2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the honesty, 12 Jan. 2012
I really enjoy reading biographies but often they are very predictable and 'safe'. I really loved the open honesty of this book and they way Denise talks about her depression and struggle. Another book like this is Old Before My Time: Hayley Okines' Life with Progeria where Kerry (Mum) and Hayley Okines (daughter) talk in a very frank and heartwarming book about Hayley's life with progeria.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, well written, 24 Jun. 2011
I'm halfway through this and really enjoying it. After a slow start it's become a book I can't wait to pick up again every evening.
Denise writes well (actresses usually do I find)and is witty.
The mentions of other actors/celebrities are interesting as always in this type of book.
I've just got to where she begins to suffer from severe clinical depression after the birth of her first child, and she speaks brilliantly about depression. As she says, 'depression is not an indulgence'. With depression, it's all too easy to self-blame for being depressed but I'm sure Denise speaking about her experience will help a lot of people and provide a bit of reassurance. She meets a lot of unhelpful 'mental health professionals' along the way and I'm sure many will recognise this experience also and maybe not feel so alone.
All in all, I'd highly recommend this book, the author is obviously both bright and down-to-earth, a great combination for a writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars you go girl!!, 14 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Pulling Myself Together (Hardcover)
one of the best mothers day gifts!!!! thoroughly enjoyed it denise is honest and frank not like others who make out they are the best ever -
she is funny sensitive straight and honest its up to you if you dont want to agree with her shes not asking you too she just tells it as it is and that must of been hard for her and her loved ones. i'm not being an odd bod but i can imagine being on a girls night with denise (denz) she reminds me so much of myself which would cheer her up no end if she new me but with more guts i only wish i could shrug of my guilt and get on with my life as she does (and i am not saying it is easy) also the depression she exressed her most private matters so sensitively as a sufferer myself i found myself going yeah! yeah! thats right
she is funny on loose women and in fact my favourites are kate thornton denise jane mac sherrie carol mc and if their not on i often switch off

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a fantastic read.By sally, 4 Jun. 2013
I love watching Denise on loose woman after I finish work.Denise is so down to earth and always makes me laugh.I really enjoyed reading her book it was lovely to read about her life.I am so please Denise wrote this book it helped me with my depression.Denise you are such a strong person.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Pulling Myself Together (Hardcover)
enjoyed this book.didnt realise how ill Denise was with depression and her husband was so understanding sticking by her through thick and thin,nothing too shocking in it because she is quite open about her life on loose women but its worth a read

4.0 out of 5 stars intresting insight to depression, 6 April 2011
i found this book an intresting insight into depression i bought the book as my sister recomended it to me and wasnt eager to buy it as i wouldnt usualy read a actor/tv presenter biography as they seem to be all the same.
so was plesently suprized to find this book more about how denise coped with her depression and how it effected the people around her ........ i think my sister recomended the book to me as while i was reading it i realised i was reading about myself after the birth of my child 2 years ago.... so thank you denise for opening peoples eyes to the fact we not crazy we just depressed and would do anything not to feel the way we do. i would recomend this book to all

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Pulling Myself Together
Pulling Myself Together by Denise Welch (Hardcover - 7 May 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01