VINE VOICEon 16 September 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am really struggling with what to write as a review for this novel, I finished it nearly a week ago and have sat down to review it half a dozen times and failed each time....

The novel itself is amazingly well written, its humorous and tragic, thought provoking and terrifying. But at the same time I felt that I couldn't really connect with Alice, in some ways I think the disconnect was the horror of what had happened to her and simple manner of fact description of the sexual abuse, which I found in no way prurient or sensationalistic. In some ways the descriptions where to clinical/dispassionate for me, I found many other parts of the novel to be far more emotional such as the descriptions of her travelling and her relationship with her grandfather and mother.

Reading other reviews I have seen many mentions of 'misery memoir' and feel that isn't a label I would apply to this book, in no way does the author dwell on her pain or suffering (although it often mentioned) that isn't the focus of this novel, that was her mental health problems and her relationship(s) with the NHS and various health professionals, which is where my biggest criticism of the novel comes in, I wish a little bit more time had been spent on this and the book had investigated how and why she reacted to the various professionals in the manner she did. I don't mean this as a criticism of her actions but more to enlighten as to the problems she faced and how she thought/thinks things might be improved.

At the end of the day this is a horrific tale of the struggle of a girl/woman to come to terms with what was done to her, its her personal tale and not a case study / medical text book. My heart goes out to Alice, which is how I would expect any reader of this book to react.
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Reading the title of Alice Jamieson's book, "Today I'm Alice: A memoir of multiple personality disorder," I thought that this book would focus mainly on MPD. However after reading Alice's story, mainly centred around sexual, physical and emotional abuse, I have realised that MPD is a coping mechanism Alice developed from the age of 2 to protect her from the pain of the abuse she suffered in the hands of her father, which lasted throughout her childhood years. Jamieson along with Clifford Thurlow sensitively explore Alice's life from horrendous suffering to self-harm, alcohol and drug addiction to finding love.

Although this book would be in the category of "tragic life stories," Alice does not seek symapthy or focus on her suffering but explains her memories simply, clearly and in a matter-of-fact way. From reading this book I have a clearer view of MPD and mental illness and I would recommend this to anyone who has an interest in the subject or who would like to read a powerful story of struggle and survival.
on 5 May 2009
I was so moved listening to Lesley Joseph interviewing Alice Jamieson on Radio London, I went straight out to get the book. Alice makes us understand in clear, uncompromising prose, how a child tries to handle horrific abuse; in her case, pretending that the bad things were happening not to her but to 'others.'

You feel that you are right there with Alice as she is growing up, trying to make sense of her bad dreams and her compulsive washing and running, as she tries to cleanse herself of--she does not know what. How she finally acknowledges her abuse and comes to terms with how it affected her personality takes many painful years.

Books like this are important because children cannot protect themselves from abuse and adults must be more vigilant to telltale signs that abuse is taking place. This is an extraordinary book, beautifully written.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 September 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The above quote for my review comes from the book "Multiple Personality Disorder" by Colin A. Ross. This book, which is quoted by Alice Jamieson in her memoir of MPD, succintly put in words for Alice how her multiples came into being.
TODAY I'M ALICE is a very personal memoir of the most horrific abuse a parent can inflict upon a child. Reading it, obviously, is often harrowing and sickening - knowing that a person who is meant to protect a child abuse that in such a dire, malignant way makes for very uncomfortable reading. However, Alice's memoir is not just a 'misery memoir'. It is a way of trying to explain how it feels to live with such a chronic condition as multiple personality disorder (also known as Dissociative Identity Disorder). Before she was properly diagnosed, Alice suffered years of anorexia, self-harm, alcohol abuse, OCD, nightmares, flashbacks and insomnia. She does not put blame on the professionals who helper her but failed to make the proper full diagnosis - instead, as she points out herself, there were often times throughout her various therapies where she decided how much to give, how much to let the counsellor / psychiatrist into her internal world.

As someone who works in the field of sexual abuse, I found TODAY I'M ALICE an interesting and valuable way of learning about a very complex disorder. The majority of the book is the examination of Alice's life; her family as she is growing up and how the memories of her abuse slowly came back to her over the oncoming years. The memoir is the unravelling of her story. How she got from being regarded as a distant, moody teenager to a very damaged adult, and the affirmation that she was not mad but actually suffering from years of sexual, physical and emotional abuse.
If you are looking for a book with lots of academic, grounded theory around MPD, this book may not be for you. But I believe that professionals who come into contact with people who are suffering from the disorder would find much in reading this.
on 7 June 2009
As I read this book I was immediately drawn into Alice's inner world of dissociation. I had a sense of mutuality and understanding as I too have a history of sexual abuse and dissociated from the experience. Alice's book shares with us the horrors she continually encountered throughout her childhood, but also how she coped emotionally by dissociating from these horrors. It also shares how Alice continually struggled with the profound effects of her abuse in adulthood, despite the healing professionals' interventions. Her book is insightful, compelling reading, enlightening and offers hope when ultimately all seems lost. This book honours all parts of Alice. A must read.
on 25 March 2013
This book lets you in on something you couldn't possibly imagine. The horror and desire to help overwhelmed me at times - I just wanted to pick Alice/Alice 2/kato/Shirley/billy etc up and protect her from everything. I can't imagine going through anything like this. I o have auditory hallucinations but nothing even partially as severe as this. Highly recommended read for anyone curious.
on 23 January 2014
I wonder if the author is aware, intentionally or not that she wrote the book in different styles....in the alters, it's very obvious sometimes but also quite subtle, this gives you the feeling of lots of people talking about their experience
on 18 September 2013
This is a hard read but Alice has told it exactly as it happened and this means it grips you throughout. It is a book everyone should read if they are involved or interested in people who have suffered abuse. The journey Alice has taken right from that little defenceless child to the brave woman she has become is honest and completely absorbing. Highly recommend.
on 9 October 2012
I think this is a beautifully written book which explores her journey step by step as she did herself. I do not think the book should be criticized for being "graphic" or "depressing" - it was her life which was horrific. It says "Terrifying scenes of abuse" on the back, if that doesn't warn you I don't know what will!

I found the book absolutely fascinating. At times, of course, it was disturbing, but why shouldn't she tell her story like everyone else?
on 13 April 2015
How can I judge this book ? The subject is beyond my comprehension . It's an appalling story and a difficult read but I did gain an insight into multiple personality disorder .Alice very clearly describes her condition . Just one thing.... I would like to know something of Alice's father's background . And of the relationship between her parents . To understand not to excuse .