4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, brutal, horrific, lost for words, but a beautiful book.
I am really struggling with what to write as a review for this novel, I finished it nearly a week ago and have sat down to review it half a dozen times and failed each time....

The novel itself is amazingly well written, its humorous and tragic, thought provoking and terrifying. But at the same time I felt that I couldn't really connect with Alice, in some ways...
Published on 16 Sept. 2009 by Mr. A. J. D. White

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing details
Today I'm Alice gives a detailed and well written account about the author's childhood sexual abuse. Rather than engaging mentally with the abuse, the book details how the author buried the horror in her subconscious. She subsequently developed multiple personalities to enable her to deal with the abuse.

The book goes on to describe how Alice begins to...
Published on 17 Nov. 2009 by G. Horsham

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling reality from the darkest corners of depression., 8 Oct. 2009
Persepolis (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Today I'm Alice: Nine Personalities, One Tortured Mind (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Today I'm Alice" is brutally honest, brutally realistic and never detracts from the truth.
From the first page I was hooked on Alice's story, turning each page with horror as she carefully tells the reader of her troubled past. I felt like a close friend, learning secrets I shouldn't know. I almost didn't want to share this book with others, feeling that if I did so I'd be exposing a tale that should remain unknown.
I have never read autobiographies, so coming across this was a big change for me. Depression is an increasingly common thing now, but back in the 80s it was an almost taboo subject altogether. From sexual abuse to just growing up, Alice pours her heart and soul into this and you can tell from each and every word.

Short and sweet review as I don't wish to spoil anything. You won't regret buying this book. Whether you've suffered the same as she has or are simply just curious, you'll be glad you gave this a chance. Alice is one of many people who never had their chance to shout out, until now.

5.0 out of 5 stars a touching, insightful and powerful read, 6 Oct. 2009
Alice Jamieson's story is no fairytale, unlike the Alice who goes through the looking glass to the magical adventures of Wonderland, for Alice Jamieson the looking glass is shattered. In the reflection is the image of a broken young woman and the faces of nine other personalities who shared her pain and suffering. Alice's childhood, mind and personality shattered as a result of her father's sickening sexual abuse. In this book Clifford Thurlow tells Alice's story with graphic honesty, he does not spare the reader from the disturbing horrors, it is a hard-hitting, powerful read. I felt overwhelmed with so many emotions as I shared her journey; sorrow, anger, pain, anguish but finally, understanding....Alice was a fragile, innocent child who suffered on so many levels but who grew up to be a brave, courageous young woman who has found the strength to tell her story. It is a wonderfully written book that has left a lasting impression and I am thankful to Alice that she has shared her journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual tale, handled with power and ability, 10 Sept. 2009
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike the majority of what we percieve this genre to be, "Today I'm Alice" is actually good. Akin in it's harrowing detail to parts of "Prozac Nation" - thankfully without the self-indulgent misey - "Alice" is a compelling, fascinating, vital insight into a world that is reduced by bad TV documentaries into cheap and tacky moments. There are elements of the msiery memoir, but any tome with this subject matter is, by definition, prone to less than a cheery overall approach.The underlying theme is that of a self-created distance, no different from the minor distractions that we fritter away the other stress of life with : albeit on a much larger scale. What is perhaps most important is that this is a subject that cannot be regularly populated, as multiple personality disorder can often only be truly percieved from the outside. This is more effective and well handled than the usual, voyeuristic, and morally bankrupt Misery Memoirs that have their own, worthless niche in your local retailer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice's Life, 9 Oct. 2012
I think this is a beautifully written book which explores her journey step by step as she did herself. I do not think the book should be criticized for being "graphic" or "depressing" - it was her life which was horrific. It says "Terrifying scenes of abuse" on the back, if that doesn't warn you I don't know what will!

I found the book absolutely fascinating. At times, of course, it was disturbing, but why shouldn't she tell her story like everyone else?

5.0 out of 5 stars A harrowing, but brilliant and humbling read., 28 Oct. 2009
R. Shear - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was told to read this by a friend, but my first thought was "It doesn't seem like my cup of tea". However, I gave it a go and am incredibly glad I did. My preconceptions of another "poor little me" memoir were completely unfounded. Yes, the author describes a childhood and adulthood that are horrific, but she does so honestly and unflinchingly without any request for our sympathy.

A story of sexual, physical and psychological abuse is never going to make easy reading, and neither should it. Be prepared to be horrifed by the wrongs done to Alice and their affects on her psyche, but also be prepared to be amazed by her capacity to carry on with life and the promise of a brighter future.

By turns; repugnant, sad, harrowing and uplifting, Today I'm Alice deserves to be read by everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 4 Feb. 2011
Today I'm Alice tells the story of Alice Jamieson, who was abused as a child and went on to develop multiple personality disorder. The content is disturbing and, because of that, the memoir is not an easy read. In fact, it has taken me a while to write a review for this book because of the challenging nature of what Alice went through. However, the book's piercing narrative and seamless prose offer the reader a genuine opportunity to gain insight into Alice's inner life and the link between child abuse and subsequent mental health problems.

Well done Alice Jamieson for being so brave. Well done Clifford Thurlow for bringing such skill and sensitivity to the process. This has to be the definitive personal account of multiple personality disorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, yet unputdownable., 13 Jan. 2011
I have read many books on Dissociative Identity Disorder and this by far is one of the best.
'DID' truly fascinates me, a defence mechanism fuelled by an innate need to survive.
'Today I'm Alice' was intriguing, harrowing and candid.
When I was small my Nan quashed my fear of spiders by informing me of all the good they do around the garden, now however (in a different light) when ever I see one I think of you Alice.
The root cause of your anorexia sickens me, I cried genuine tears, my heart goes out to you.
It goes without saying how difficult it must have been for you to relay your story. Thank you for sharing it with us. God only knows you have suffered enough. I admire your courage and strength, God Bless you.x

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad, but ultimately uplifting: Highly Recommended, 28 Sept. 2009
Mr. D. J. Carr "David Carr" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is not for the faint-hearted. It was a very sad and truthful account of someone who suffered terrible abuse within the family. The book appears to have been written to give the author some release from the past so she could become herself in the future, and should act as a positive help to others in the same position. It is shocking to find that even in these supposedly enlightened days, effective help seems so difficult to access, and this poor lady was well into her thirties before she get some recognition in the courts. This book is for anyone who feels they are struggling against life on their own. The only warning - keep the tissues handy, as you'll certainly need them. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Woman. Remarkable Read., 8 Aug. 2011
As someone working with vulnerable children and young people, I have a real interest in reading the memoirs of those who have experienced and suffered from abuse. This is in a way to inform my work practice as well as my curiosity of just what the human mind is capable of.
As soon as I read other reviews of "Today I am Alice" on Amazon I was completely hooked and once I received the book I was not disappointed. I could not put it down. I found the memoir well written and very readable. I thought the accounts of abuse were harrowing, honest and to the point. As a mother myself, I would be interested in hearing Alice's mothers point of view regarding her daughter's terrible ordeal at the hands of her husband. I found the descriptions of Alice's relationship with her Grandfather very moving and wonder how things may have been different if he was still with us. What Alice endured is unimaginable and I think she is remarkable for continuing to strive for a happy life.
I believe anyone working in the field of child protection should read this book. It is a stark reminder that abuse can and does happen to children from all walks of life...not exclusively the 'poor wee souls' we expect. I genuinely hope that we are taking steps to be more vigilant, particularly in schools, to recognise the symptoms displayed by children and young people in distress. It is also remarkable that the diagnosis of MPD/DID was only made about 3/4's of the way into Alice's story. The eventual realisations that her dreams were reality and her alters were her coping mechanism were well described and insightful.
Finally I am appauled that no charges were brought against Alice's father for the horrendous abuse he subjected his daughter to. Alice seeks comfort for the letter of acknowledgement she has received from the police stating that they believe her story. This shows us again what a remarkable woman she is!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a journey of life... if you don't cry, you aren't human, 29 Aug. 2009
M. J. Jacobs "michael jacobs" (Edgware, London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a very brave account by a woman who has suffered too much. She writes frankly, and skillfully (with the help of Clifford Thurlow, her "ghost writer") to tell you about her life, and along the way, she shares very frankly what she learnt about Multiple Personality Disorder from her own very bitter experience.

This book could have ended very differently, as she followed a shocking path through mental illness, abuse, drugs, drink, and suicide attempts brought on by her "inner voices". There was at least 9 of them, and you get to know them as the story unfolds.

Each voice is a part of her own memory which struggles to be heard, despite the fact that Alice has tried to forget what happened to her as a child. As she progresses along the very bumpy road towards accepting help and then working on herself, the clues start to come together - the voices are her mind's attempt to shield her from a truth too awful to face.

If this had been a novel, you might have said "come off it, this is too far-fetched", but it is a true story. It isn't glamourous, and the little redemption that there is means that you need a strong stomach to face the ugly facts. Alice has been afflicted by childhood experiences, and her contacts with doctors and therapists informs us of the very real causes of Multiple-Personality Disorder, and of the common factors behind paedophile abuse rings which she discovers are often disguised as Satanist rituals.

There is a lot of very interesting information about the medications used to treat various types of mental illness, and of the shortcomings of the British mental health hospitals in recognising them and treating them.

At the end, we see how Alice has come from being the total victim of a serious illness to starting on the road to recovery. We see what it is that finally helps her to come to terms with the tragedies of her life, and to confront her past. Along the way, we read of real horror, true suffering, the effect it has had on her abilty to love and to accept love. When you read these moments, I believe that like me, you will cry with her, and suffer with her.

But at the end of the day, we learn some of what she has learnt, we have become more informed, and hopefully that will make us better people too. Read this book, and whilst you might not "enjoy" it in the traditional sense, it will certainly prove to be a worthwhile read, and increase your understanding of a serious issue.

If you find this book interesting, you might also appreciate the story of the tragic Ian Curtis of Joy Division Control [DVD] [2007], and that of the brilliant mathematician, John Nash Beautiful Mind, A [DVD] [2002], both of which are very strong treatments of people struggling against powerful internal "demons".

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Today I'm Alice: Nine Personalities, One Tortured Mind
Today I'm Alice: Nine Personalities, One Tortured Mind by Alice Jamieson (Paperback - 1 May 2009)
Used & New from: £2.61