4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, thought provoking and life affirming book
Richard Rohr was recommended to me by my spiritual advisor and I came to this book through his Daily Meditation email. I found it a slow start because he talks about the True Self and the False Self, concepts which were new to me but I became drawn in by his amazing way of putting things and his clearly eyed love of people and lack of bigotry.

I found I read...
Published 3 months ago by boudicca

2.0 out of 5 stars Immortal Diamond
I found the book to be a disappointing read. I derive much more satisfaction from personal meditation on holy scripture and prayer such as the Examen in facing my 'true self' than this book could teach me. I do not recommend it.
Published 11 months ago by Pearl

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, thought provoking and life affirming book, 27 Aug 2014

I found I read it in sections, taking time to write about what had struck me in my journal. There were so many resonances and insights that I recommended the book to friends who also loved it. I think it probably has resonances for people in the second half of life when the old black and white certainties no longer satisfy. Rohr talks about the importance of being able to tolerate dualities and conflicts, without needing to explain them or entirely resolve or understand them. His God is one of utter grace and love who relates to us through our fallibility and the mistakes we make, not in spite of them.

I am looking forward to reading his book about the second half of life next.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I would have liked some more practical guidance on how to move from the false to the true self.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self (Paperback)
I find reading Richard Rohr really refreshing. I am currently reading this for the second time, and am getting new things from it all the time. It is extremely helpful to read his views on faith and Christianity, not least because it helps me begin to understand why I found church so frustrating and found God so distant for so many years. This book and others by Richard Rohr, amongst others, are helping me to move on and I am now finding a totally new and wonderful relationship with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF, 13 Nov 2013
I FOUND THIS BOOK REALLY BEAUTIFUL. IT IS GIVES A BEAUTIFUL EXPLANATION OF OUR WONDERFUL BEING AND GOD'S DEEP AND PERSONAL LOVE FOR EACH. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WHO IS SEEKING TO DEEPEN THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self (Paperback)
I have read other books by Richard Rohr and find them very helpful as they express what i could never put into words. The author speaks from the heart from his own experience giving a novel slant on spirituality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an important book, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self (Paperback)
This book was so 'full' I am having to read it twice. Would recommend to anyone, with the caveat that I think you have to be 'ready' to read it. Fundies will hate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self (Paperback)
Another excellent book by Richard Rohr. I will be reading this again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A deep read, 18 Aug 2013
C. Holdsworth - See all my reviews
This review is from: Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self (Paperback)
The Immortal Diamond is my first contact with Richard Rohr and I am very impressed with the depth of his knowledge; he draws on a wealth of contemplative and mystical material in his writing as well as showing his Franciscan roots. I would recommend that this book is read slowly; I dashed through it on my first reading but intend to go back and take my time with a second reading. Two reasons for this; firstly there's a lot to take on and reflect about, secondly if you read it fast it can feel quite repetitive (the constant references to the 'false' and 'true' selves). I have only given it 4 stars because I don't feel that it's completely accessible - you need a certain level of education and knowledge to be able to access this book, but if you are someone who has already begun to grapple with mystical Christianity then you will find this book clear and illuminating.

5.0 out of 5 stars indescribably good., 7 July 2014
Fr Richard put into words truths that seem obvious once he has said them. This is a great encourage and challenge to me to seek and strive for these truths to be a reality in my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring book., 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self (Paperback)
I found this book inspiring .It took me a long time to truly digest all of its content.Firstly I read it through fairly quickly, underlining sections I wanted to go back to.Then I re -read it all, Taking time to think about its content.It agreed with many of my deepest thoughts which I had tried to bury, thinking they were heretical and making me think I was not worthy to be called a Christian.This book has changed all that and taken me back to our truly Christian roots.I am very grateful to Richard Rohr for taking the time and effort to write this book.Any one who is interested in how many of today's Christians have deviated from Christ's original teachings should read this book.I hope it leads them to a deeper, less judgemental view of humanity.

4.0 out of 5 stars very academic, 7 May 2014
this writing contains a great deal of value that justifies the effort in coping with the style. it is not a text for the beginning seeker as it alludes to a very wide range of related literature.

Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self
Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self by Richard Rohr (Paperback - 21 Feb 2013)