5.0 out of 5 stars A profoundly thoughtful book
Published 19 months ago by Ronni Lamont

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but expected more
Cards on the table, I am a big fan of Narnia. I guess I read the stories on an annual basis and recommend them to everyone I can.
So to me the fact that former Archbishop Rowan has written this book is great as it adds weight to my recommendations and validity to my love for the stories.
There was one huge plus points for me. Rowan focuses on Aslan. The title...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. Michael Lumsden

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A profoundly thoughtful book, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Lion's World - A journey into the heart of Narnia (Paperback)
I found this book - dare I confess the first by Rowan Williams that I've managed to finish - profoundly challenging in the gentlest way. His analysis of the Narnia books is deep and serious, not letting Lewis off the hook, but scratching deeper to see the underlying truth that is there. I had to keep stopping and reflecting on what I'd just read, and the truth contained therein for me. This is a book that I shall return to regularly, and I beleive will come away with fresh nuggets every time. Three cheers for the Archbishop- I'm just sorry I missed the talks that the book is based on.The Lion's World: A journey into the heart of Narnia

5.0 out of 5 stars A characteristically brilliant exploration and engagement, 14 Aug 2012
`I can only confess', writes Rowan Williams, `to being repeatedly humbled and reconverted by Lewis in a way that is true of few other modern Christian writers'. This is a serious statement, not least from an Archbishop who speaks and writes eleven languages, and who is also a world-renowned theologian and accomplished literary critic and poet. As ever, Williams acknowledges his opposition: `Not every reader has been charmed by C.S. Lewis' Narnia stories'. But here, in The Lion's World, is Williams' gallant and supremely eloquent defence of their author, as a believer, a writer and a modern-day literary apostle.

Williams notes that he `came late to Narnia', even with his own `obsessively bookish childhood'. Before he had walked through the Wardrobe or sailed in the Dawn Treader, he had read many of Lewis' apologetic works - Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain and Miracles - alongside his other notable works of fiction. For this, we must be grateful: Williams' narrative is enriched with a majestically broad understanding of Narnia's context within the wider themes that echo across Lewis' work, and which, at their best, convey `a simple intensity of feeling about God'. The Lion's World is not a systemic guide to interpretation - Williams is happy to leave such a task to the likes of Michael Ward, whose excellent book Planet Narnia is reverently referenced - but rather a series of reflections on Lewis' central themes: the exhilaration of an encounter with the Divine `other', the avoidance of self-delusion, and the joy of the surprising discovery of God.

For all the uplifting grand narrative, Williams does not ignore the thorny issues with which readers of Lewis must contend. In Narnia, so clearly a book `latent with Christianity', there are considerable leaks in a supposedly watertight world. Fruit and vegetables grow in the depths of winter; all inhabitants seemingly speak the same language despite obvious cultural contrasts; Narnian `history' is only casually dealt with on a few occasions. Tolkien was famously horrified at his friend's conflation of European and Classical mythology; the addition of Father Christmas was more than a bridge too far. Theological concerns remain, too: Lewis has been harshly criticised for an excessively liberal doctrine of salvation espoused in The Last Battle; he is also frequently ambiguous when doctrinal themes emerge - sometimes portraying Aslan as the second person of the Trinity, yet in one memorable passage in The Horse and His Boy apparently presenting him as the complete Trinity itself. The White Witch's usurpation of Aslan (the `son of the great Emperor-beyond-the-Sea') is obviously theologically problematic, as is the obvious lack of any representative of the Holy Spirit throughout most of the stories. Perhaps most serious are the charges of racism and misogyny frequently levelled at Lewis: Susan's famous banishment from Narnia has been seen by many as damnation for discovering sexual maturity, whilst The Horse and its Boy is frighteningly evocative of a crusade against blatantly Arabic Calormenes.

Williams deftly addresses each line of attack, and, whilst not excusing Lewis' own shortcomings, provides a key to understanding them in context. Crucially, Narnia was not Tolkien's Middle Earth. To demand such internal consistency would be to miss its raison d'Ítre as a landscape for the imagination. Similarly, hammering home orthodox objections to Narnia's doctrinal implications misses the central thrust of Lewis' work: some issues are better served by narrative than by systematisation. Lewis was not simply mapping his stories onto a `theological grid'; his narratives and characters possessed their own integrity, and perhaps the most enduring testament to this is the many secular readers who have enjoyed Narnia at face value. Lewis was, clearly, `a writer of his time'; yet, at least in part, he has suffered from misreading. Susan's exile from Narnia is undoubtedly linked to her `growing up', yet it is unfair to portray this as a reactionary swipe against female independence. Rather, it is Susan's wilful forgetting of what she knows deep down to be true that is the cause of her alienation from Aslan's world. Similarly, much of Lewis' `racism' can actually be seen as a parody of the dominant orientalism present in so much of the writing of his day. As Williams puts it, the key question `is not how Lewis reflects the views of an era but how he qualifies or undercuts them in obedience to...a spiritual imperative'.

Williams' own writing is lucid and inviting, and consistently echoes the same `almost unbearable longing' for the radiance of God, so present in Lewis' own work. Speaking of what motivated Lewis to write, Williams slips easily back into the pulpit, and the familiar Welsh-tinted sonorous voice leaps out of the pages and embraces us: `Sharing the good news is not so much a matter of telling people what they have never heard as of persuading them that there are things they haven't heard when they think they have'. This is Williams the spiritual leader at his very best: utterly captivating, majestic and inspiring, delivering a soaring proclamation of the joy of knowing Christ whilst also serving up critics of Christianity, who have often used Lewis' writings selectively, a gratifyingly eloquent broadside. It is in the last chapter that Williams claims the summit, expertly revealing within Lewis' narrative a theme close to the Archbishop's own heart: enlarging the world through faith, and enlarging our own lives through the dynamic encounter with the Divine. `The familiar world has to be broken open by the life it contains in order for joy to be full'.

In his conclusion, Williams offers us a wonderful summary of Narnia's central themes, which, far from being closed systems, are springboards for imaginative leaps of faith and expansions of our Christian lives. In Lewis' narrative, we, as Christians, are rebels, agents of `Divine anarchy' overturning ordered sin and evil, restriction and death. Yet we are also rebelling against ourselves - it is we who are the oppressors, guilty of self-delusion - for which we must turn to God for help. Finally, as we enter a meaningful relationship with the Divine, we are torn free from our shackles, and we begin a ceaseless journey of joy, in which each of us discovers a new depth of existence rooted in the sustaining power of God. Certainly, Lewis' narrative offers just such an opportunity to be `surprised by joy' and discover afresh the exhilaration of the Christian faith; yet Williams, with a characteristic edge of humour, implores us to benefit from Narnia by simply `letting down the guard of our imagination from time to time'. In other words, says our Archbishop and rightly revered spiritual leader, just get on and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the brilliance of Aslans rule, 24 Aug 2012
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Clarity and creativity are fused with imagination and interpretation in this sweep of Narnia. Rowan William's insight & writing are majestic. There is freshness and warmth to the underbelly of this beautiful new work. The lightness of touch must not disguise the depth of incision, with a poetic and gracious twist:- "Being told your story doesn't compel your assent!" Themes are movingly gathered and wisely explored here.

In The Lion's World, Aslan is taken as an orthodox read-across from Jesus. The depiction of Aslan the Lion lets us sense afresh "what the experience of God is `like'", shedding delusion & falsehood. "Transcendence is the wildness of joy; and the truth of God becomes a revolution against what we have made of ourselves."

This will certainly become a classic for lives enriched by the power of Narnia. This is brought together attractively in a new format SPCK volume with enhancing artwork brought to us by Monica Capoferri. Probing, provocative & a sheer pleasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lion's World, 20 Sep 2012
A superb analysis of key ideas running through the Narnia stories.Williams reveals shrewd psychological insights into how people tick... and also into how 'Aslan' works with that, breaking through into our 'rational' world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lion's World: A journey into the heart of Narnia, 12 Sep 2012
This book gives great insight into the works of CS Lewis, particularly the tales of Narnia. Rowan Williams highlights Lewis' vision of heaven in a very clear way. It is a very enjoyable and worthwhile, if serious, read. I strongly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but expected more, 16 Mar 2013
Mr. Michael Lumsden (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
There was one huge plus points for me. Rowan focuses on Aslan. The title did not alert me to this but the focus is well placed. While there is a section on meeting the criticisms that have been raised Rowan comes back consistently to how Aslan behaves and what he actually does. I have gone back to the stories to re-read all the dialogue involving Aslan - and it is very instructive.
I only give the book 3 stars because I was hoping for much more; I have great respect for the author,and expected him to be able to point out depths that I had not appreciated. However, some reviewers have praised the book for being concise - you cannot have both brevity and great depth.
I would recommend the book on the grounds that reading it will open up a new understanding or affirm an understanding that has already been gained.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too PC for my taste, 22 Aug 2012
Peter Morris (London UK) - See all my reviews
This is a brilliant meditation (not analysis) on what is, on one level, a rather lightweight series of children's books. As a gifted writer and theologian, Rowan Williams reveals the real ingenuity of Lewis's writing and his spiritual insights. Williams' discussion of the removal of the dragon's skin from Eustace is peerless. He also make some very good non-theological points, such Lewis' borrowings from Edith Nesbit and that his world is Edwardian rather than postwar. However I found Williams' constant apologies for Lewis' non-PC views rather grating to say the least. Having said that, reading some of the comments in the readers' reviews of the Narnia chronicles elsewhere in Amazon I recognise his hand-wringing defence of Lewis may be necessary nowadays. Sometimes I feel he distances himself from Lewis by saying "Lewis says this" and "Lewis says that", but at other times he identifies himself quite closely with Lewis, so perhaps this is just Rowan Williams the former professor elapsing into an academic style of writing. Most of the time, this book is very readable and certainly worth reading. But I can only give it four stars because of the PC aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lion's World by Rowan Williams, 28 Aug 2012
Mrs. Shirley Mungapen (UK) - See all my reviews
This book published by S.P.C.K. is a little gem, small enough to go into a shoulder bag or a bedside table. It has good sized clear print for ageing eyes. The tender modern illustrations by Monica Capoferri capture the otherworld of childrens' fantasy yet span images reminiscent of medieaval Sienese paintings to modern artists of the 21st century.
This book is no easy read. It has challenging theology where Rowan interprets a range of books by C.S. Lewis and refers to other writers such as Philip Pullman, Dostoevsky, Thomas Merton and Michael Ward. He does not let us get away with self satisfaction or leave us quite comfortable with our own self -appraisal, neither does his mentor C.S.Lewis. It has deep theology, a history of childrens' literature when Lewis was a boy, and an understanding of the veils and hidden revelations behind the plots and actions of the stories. There is an understanding of Lewis's sympathetic vision of animals in the totality of creation yet not overlooking the predjudices and bias over certain animal characters and humans in the stories.
You do not have to have read all of the Narnia books, though it would help, whilst many of Lewis's adult novels are analysed, also his philosophical treaties.The Lion's world is a world within the world, packed with delights like a conjuror's box. It gives us insight into Rowan's thinking- a gift he leaves us as he approaches retirement as Prelate of the Anglican church.
Shirley Mungapen

4.0 out of 5 stars A REAL BREATH OF FRESH AIR:, 19 Feb 2013
I chose this book for study during Lent - not disappointed at all ...surprised by joy and fed with truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roean Williamsd intelligrnt analysis., 13 Sep 2012
Ronan Wiliams brings intelligent and affectionate insights into the Narnia series. Both Christians and agnostics will enjoy this readable little book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x104ff0c0)

The Lion's World - A journey into the heart of Narnia
The Lion's World - A journey into the heart of Narnia by Rowan Williams (Paperback - 16 Aug 2012)