on 19 December 2012
This is an excellent and thought provoking book written with humility. It is unusual in setting out the biblical arguments for a universalist interpretation of the bible. I purchased it after reading Rob Bell's book Love Wins. As an evangelical Christian I have found these books to provide a more systematic theology than the Calvinist approach which I had understood for many years. In short it makes more sense of the whole bible and also fits well with important philosophical arguments.
VINE VOICEon 21 April 2014
My first reaction was that evangelicals ar never universalists. Well this proves that theory wrong!

Even if you disagree and wish to stick with traditional evangelical theology I think that this is a useful book to read through so you are aware of the arguments. You never know it might make you less exclusive in the process!

If you do disagree then this book will help sharpen up your own thoughts, forcing you to work through your own understanding. I have to say that I read it following on from a looking at lot at Brian McLaren's more recent writings and Rob Bell's book 'Love Wins" which suggest universalism might be feasible.

For me I am warming to the idea, thinking of C S LEwis who once wrote questioning how he could be truly happy in a heaven when there were friends of his who were not there?
on 20 March 2013
Well worth reading.
After the fuss over the Rob Bell book (Love Wins), which I found disappointing, I read a few other books on both sides of the argument and my views on the issue gradually changed: mainly through the detailed and honest discussion of relevant bible verses by people such as Robin Parry (Gregory McDonald), the author of this book. He always shows respect as he acknowledges and challenges the arguments of those who hold different views- in particular those who support the 'everlasting' part of 'everlasting torment'. I found his arguments generally convincing: that a universalist understanding of the Bible is truer to the Gospel and needs less mental gymnastics to get around 'difficult' verses than an understanding that accepts everlasting conscious torment. At the very least, universalism deserves to be accepted as being just as valid/orthodox as the opposing viewpoints within the Church.
An honest and convincing book. I also found Thomas Talbott's, 'The Inescapable Love of God' helpful.
on 1 September 2014
An interesting book which argues strongly and clearly for an evangelical universalist position. I think it is pretty convincing and certainly very encouraging. There will always be some difficulties and awkward texts with any position on this issue but the author makes a good case for his understanding and deals effectively with most of the objections.
on 28 March 2013
I cannot say that I am fully convinced by this book but it is well-written, it is thought-provoking, and it is written respectfully other points of view. Certainly it takes a tour through some of the hardest questions.

Great Book
on 1 May 2015
Quite academic in tone with plenty of philosophical reflection. However it gives a well argued case for Universalism and I'm pleased to have it on my bookshelf.
on 23 January 2015
Good service, good book
on 14 February 2015
Great price
on 29 August 2014
Loved it.
on 11 August 2013
This is a book that feels as if it deliberately tries to turn Christianity into mathematics. It has the sense of the author trying to balance equations. Arguments for hell are balance against concepts of God and so on and so forth again and again. In the end, I found myself, bored, frustrated, and saying who cares? I mean who cares about this sort of argument? I found myself thinking that this sort of argument makes me feel that Christianity is a dry academic subject that is not worth following, rather than the dynamic and vibrant faith that has relevance to today's world. In the end, the book is about one thing, judgment after death. If that is your thing the go for it. If life and service are your interests then leave it alone. There isn't enough time in life to waste it on books like this. Perhaps I am just not evangelical enough!!!
77 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse