5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 'big picture' discussion of why we need creeds, 19 Sept. 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Christian Belief for Everyone: Faith and Creeds (Christian Belief/Everyone 1) (Paperback)
As ever McGrath is a safe pair of hands, and on this occasion the book is a huge context for discussion of the creeds, rather than being entirely about the creeds themselves. This is not a line-on-line exposition of the creeds but a rhetoric for their existence and a great song about the benefits they bring. McGrath does 'big picture' really well and from his academic background delivers a rigorous set of logical and thought out arguments in favour of them.
He talks about the reciting of the creeds as a 'corporate act' and an act of alignment, where we choose to join ourselves to the belief system of those in the room with us instead of allowing the rising of 'maverick individualism'. If we could encourage all users of the creed to think of them in this way instead of just reciting them parrot fashion, this book would truly have delivered 'big style'.
Well done Mr McGrath! Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and inspirational, 16 Nov. 2013
Pilgrim (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I have always loved the Creeds and bought Alister McGrath's book after previewing a chapter on my Kindle app. I had expected insight and knowledge from McGrath (and got that) but felt I got more too - a book which engaged my heart and my imagination as well as my brain. Shades of C S Lewis.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent Introduction to Justified faith, 1 Nov. 2013
Clear and easy to read.
It makes the case for justified faith rather than blind faith.
I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, 2 Jan. 2014
Gets you to think about the creeds in few words, small book but easy to read. Great asset for my assignment.

5.0 out of 5 stars study, 11 Nov. 2013
this is the new study book for our Church group, and we are all enjoying it immensely. thanks very much

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Introduction to the Creeds, 4 Aug. 2014
An easy read but by no means shallow. You'll want to go on and read the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov. 2014
R. E. Porter "The Jazz Rep" (Ipswich, England) - See all my reviews
Good item, as described, A1.

Christian Belief for Everyone: Faith and Creeds (Christian Belief/Everyone 1)