5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biblical Insight
Published 16 months ago by David Kloss

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth persevering with.
There are some interesting ideas in the latter half of the book when Crossan is suggesting ways of understanding the stories about Jesus as parables. However the early part of the book discussing parables in general is more like a series of notes for a lecture than a fully developed argument. I certainly found it hard to read, but I am glad that I persevered.
Published 12 months ago by gpeterct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biblical Insight, 25 Dec 2012
David Kloss - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus became Fiction about Jesus (Paperback)
If you are one of those folks who feel that the Bible is the unmitigated word of God that is to be taken literally or else you're headed to hell, then read this review no further; this book will be of no interest to you. On the other hand, if you are seeking true insight into the Bible, and really want to learn about where it is culturally, historically, and theologically embedded, Crossan's book (along with his others) is simply fantastic. In this book specifically, the reader will gain perhaps unprecedented insight into an essential element of Jesus' ministry: his teaching via parable.
It's refreshing and fascinating to learn from Crossan's writing: He's done his homework, and just about all of his thinking springs from the text of the Bible itself. The reader gains important insight from a passionate believer in God, without the added baggage of a religious or personal agenda. I challenge any run-of-the-mill evangelical to do it better.
Those readers interested in similar Biblical scholarship and insight will also want to check out Marcus J. Borg's excellent writing. I'm so thankful to have found books like this; they are such an important departure from the brain-dead "Get saved!" and "Get right with God!" Read authors like Crossan and Borg. Learn, enjoy, and come to know God and the Bible in a truly better, deeper way!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book deserves Six Stars!, 2 Jan 2013
I bought this book after seeing John Dominic Crossan in the television documentary, Saint Paul, with David Suchet. He was friendly and compelling and I needed to know more about his 'teaching'. I found this book on Amazon, and now within ten days of viewing the programme I am writing my very first book review - I simply cannot stress strongly enough how accessible Crossan is. He speaks our language, he gently and reassuringly brings the reader to a strong, safe refuge. I wish I had encountered him before now. Life is often unnecessarily problematic, but with a life guide to hand like Crossan, it all really seems not quite so difficult or so serious. Reading The Power of Parables is truly compelling and is written as if your very best friend or favourite elderly relative is eager to impart a message which at once instructs and also heals.

Thank you, John Dominic Crossan, for being such an inspiration, thank you for making me see the world in a much more positive light, and thank you for making me say Thank You about a dozen times a day since seeing your documentary.

I lost my faith around the age of about sixteen, now forty years later it has re-emerged, just as strong and as promising as it ever was, and it is totally down to Crossan's guidance and approachable personality. I cannot wait to read his other writings and have already ordered them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Jun 2013
This book is the best example I've seen in the field of scholarship laid out clearly, step by step, admitting any possible counterarguments and arriving at inescapable conclusions. Readable, accessible, compelling.
I'd give it six stars if another were available.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth persevering with., 9 April 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars The power of parable, by John Crossan, 7 Dec 2012
Having heard a great deal about John Crossan, I was pleased that this was chosen as the next title in our theological reading group. I have as yet only read the first half of this book. However I have found it rather repetitive and although there are interesting ideas about Old Testament and New Testament challenge parables, it has not moved me on in my thinking. I have been a trifle disappointed.

ARRAY(0xab9efcfc)

The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus became Fiction about Jesus
The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus became Fiction about Jesus by John Dominic Crossan (Paperback - 17 May 2012)
8.49