on 20 June 2012
One of my little pleasures in life is to heave home from the local library an art book far too expensive and heavy to buy and admire its shiny pages. The best sort of all are those which `open up' the world of great art to an amateur like me - pointing out the techniques and images employed by the artist. Sister Wendy Beckett will be known to many from her previous books of this type.She has a proven ability to describe what is `happening' in a painting in a way which draws the reader in.

The Bible Treasury, however, is a little different.This is neither a paintings book nor a Bible book - but a combination of the two.If you are looking for the kind of minute analysis of paintings you have found in other books by Sister Wendy, you won't find it here. Equally, if you are looking for an in depth analysis of the Bible this is not the place to look. The clue, as they say, is in the name - treasury.

This is the kind of book you will want to dip into. In its two hundred or so pages, you will find introductions to all different kinds of Biblical literature. There are also portions of Biblical text, some paintings simply by way of illustration and others receiving Sister Wendy's more usual critical treatment.The book would make a perfect gift for a person with a only a little knowledge of the Bible, a passing interest in great art - or both.
on 22 January 2013
This is a beautiful and inspiring book. Sister Wendy is a true original with a deep knowledge of her subject. I bought it on Kindle but it is probably a book that should be held in the hand and browsed over. I shall be reading more of her work.
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2013
Sister Wendy's art programmes on TV were unforgettable. Something of that has rubbed off onto this book. It's great to have some great art on the Kindle. Her commentary is witty and informative too. A lovely way to introduce youngsters to great art and what the artists were interested in. They might even pick up some understanding of Christian faith. Sister Wendy does a good job of persuading people that God can accept eccentrics and that not all nuns are boring or miserable.
on 4 April 2013
I bought this book for my wife after seeing a documentary about Sister Wendy. She loves it. It brings bible stories to life with the art of the great masters. This is a fantastic book for all with an interest in art and how this has been shaped by Christianity. This book is great whether you believe or not. It is part of our cultural heritage and will be of interest to anyone who wants to understand more about the bible and art.
on 27 January 2014
Excellent book written by a schollar who has the common touch. Sister Wendy has lovely seemingly simple stories behhind the great masters depictions of famous biblical representations. They are facinating and appear straightforward once read, but no doubt much serious thought has gone into each description beforehand. It was a joy to read and has greatly enhanced my understanding.

john rowe
on 8 March 2014
I found some of the articles good and useful.
But I would have like more detail and perhaps a little more religious input because anyone purchasing such a book is searching for meaning in life and using such pictures can give us insight into our lives and our faith.
on 23 May 2013
This would make an excellent gift. I chose it because Sister Wendy's insights into paintings are fascinating. She reveals some of the hidden depths of the art. I would have liked more of Sister Wendy's commentary on each picture.
on 26 April 2012
The title of this book is "Sister Wendy's Bible Treasury - stories and wisdom through the eyes of great painters".

I am really uneducated about how to "read" paintings, so I was hoping that this book would give me insight into the subtleties of the art. But I am very disappointed.

Most of the book is simply an abridgement of the King James Bible (1611) by Philip Law - which is fine, if that is what you want. There are 54 illustrations, of which 35 have a brief commentary by Sr Wendy. Most of these commentaries have been limited to just 200 words or so, which means that not a lot that can be said in any depth.

I was not expecting to be buying a copy of the 1611 King James Bible, which I already have. What I did expect was a guide to understanding the imagery and symbolism of religious paintings from someone who is at home in both worlds.

Basically it was a waste of money.
on 18 April 2014
Yes it was just what I was looking for. Thank you. And it was in such good condition when it reached me.
on 4 March 2016