5.0 out of 5 stars Early Christian Letters, Tom Wright, 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Early Christian Letters for Everyone - James, Peter, John and Judah (New Testament for Everyone) (Paperback)
Another volume which keeps up the standard set in previous publications. The remarkable insights into these letters keep up that freshness of approach which makes them so informative and so readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh insights, 24 Sep 2011
C. Lockhart "Sr Clare" (Lewis) - See all my reviews
An accessible and enjoyable commentary offering fresh insights and perspective on the early christian milieu. Useful as a text for discussion in groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory commentary series, 11 Feb 2012
Although I have been aware of this series for some time, I had not ever looked more closely at any of these commentaries and was very pleased to have the opportunity to do so through the NetGalley scheme. I'm pleased with what I've seen. Whilst they are not high-level commentaries nor would I suggest them for use by preachers, I can see them working really well within my church as a resource for further study of the Bible by small groups or individuals wanting to go deeper.

The content is intelligent and helpful, as well as being well-presented. I also like that the commentary includes the Biblical text for each section: this makes it clear what is being discussed at any point. The glossary of terms is another reason why I like this commentary series for those whom I lead - it does not assume that the reader's knowledge is particularly well-developed. This is a very accessible commentary series.

I received free galley copies of Tom Wright's Early Christian Letters for Everyone and Revelation for Everyone from NetGalley in return for an unbiased review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can help everyone in Biblical understanding, 22 Jan 2013
Tom Wright's commentaries were recommended by our Rural Dean. I use these commentaries in my sermon research and they are very helpful. The biblical text has been translated from the original Greek into modern day English, understandable by most people. The commentary on each text uses modern examples of incidents, places, people that any of us might come across or experience, to help understanding. The book can be used in personal Bible study and quiet time and/or for group activity and/or help in preparing talks and sermons. I highly recommend Tom Wrights 'Everyone' commentaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Christian Letter for Everyone by Tom Wright, 17 Feb 2012
V. Penfold "Viv Penfold" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Tom Wright always produces great material. He makes the bible accessible without 'dumbing it down'. This volume is yet another 'winner' with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking & easy to read., 12 Feb 2012
In the past I have always read the books by the late Professor Barclay, but I found this illumination to be just as useful. I will certainly think of buying more of this author's work in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 17 Oct 2013
I feel that it's a clear explanation of the letters and manages to bring some of the harder concepts into a daily reality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gifted Writer, 29 Jun 2013
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is another excellent book in the author's "For Everyone" series of New Testament commentaries, which I have been working my way through fairly systematically over the past few weeks. This book examines the epistles of James,Peter,John and Jude in the author's pertinent,intelligent and anecdotal manner. As with his other books, Tom Wright brought to me fresh insights into these texts and has helped me to understand them better. I had struggled with reconciling James' talk about faith without deeds being dead with the general Pauline message ,best exemplified in Romans and John's gospel, which both talk of justification by faith alone. However Wright's writings managed to allow me intellectually to understand better where James was coming from. I consider myself to be a Christian, but I am perhaps ,like many others I'm sure , an armchair Christian, going to church occasionally but not really involved in any kind of social life for one reason or another. However as I read this book I could definitely feel the Holy Spirit joining me in its quiet,peaceful way. I have immersed myself in Tom Wrights books as I seek to let Jesus more fully into my life and to crucify my sinful nature. They are definitely helping with this process and I am enjoying reading them greatly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Christian Letters speak to the modern world, 25 Mar 2014
J. Lindley "JL" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Still reading this, but as ever, Tom Wright's clear translation and writing anchors the relevance of this into the 21st century.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 27 Sep 2013
This was a kindle order and arrived promptly. The book is easy to read and generates very good discussions in our home group.