Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 March 2012
I have the privilege of preparing candidates for confirmation and they will all be getting a copy of this book...including the adults! I have also emailed a link to most of my clergy colleagues and even to some of my former tutors at Theological College - it's that good!

The introduction begins: `Congratulations! You've been confirmed, and we want to join with the rest of the Church in celebrating with you what an amazing achievement that is!'....This infectious enthusiasm continues throughout the book and I was genuinely left feeling exciting about my own faith!

This book also made me feel proud that the C of E has such talented individuals who clearly know how to engage with young people in a way which is accessible without being patronizing. Although Bishop Paul writes a brief "opener" to each chapter, it appears that Pete Maidment (a Diocesan Youth Advisor) has written the bulk of the material. Both authors write with honesty and passion, and clearly know how to engage with young people without sounding trite or affected.

Each chapter takes one aspect of the confirmation "Commission" and offers an insightful explanation of what it might mean to live it out in our daily lives. Familiar with the trends of contemporary culture, the authors are also creative in drawing widely from church tradition. They have managed to include Lectio Divina, Ignatian Examen and will even have you listening to stirring battle music on your ipod whilst reciting the 1,700 year old "St Patrick's Breastplate" prayer!

The design of the book is great and you can tell that considerable thought has gone into the styling and layout. Although the visual design is aimed at younger candidates (teenagers), the content has much to offer an adult reader and I would be more than happy to give this book to older candidates. The book is intended for post-confirmation use although the structure could easily be adapted for a series of confirmation classes.

Mr Maidment also co-wrote Reconnecting with Confirmation which explores the place of confirmation within the C of E and is a very helpful (and much-needed) text on the subject.
on 1 July 2013
I bought these for the young people I prepared for confirmation but I haven't read it all through. They seem to be targeted at the teenage age range and the links with a web site is good.
on 12 February 2016
For those exploring confirmation as a rite of passage and going on, this book is a valuable resource as part of the confirmation and beyond journey.
on 24 January 2015
Good book and I read it over and over and always find something new to think about,
on 18 December 2014
Great book to give to young people being confirmed
on 3 February 2015
Good for post confirmation
on 7 September 2012
A very practical book which is suitable for all ages. It is suitable as a refresher course 'long after the service is over'. Lots of excellent material too for those who prepare candidates for Confirmation.
on 25 June 2013
I have not red it all yet i had thought it waas a book to use with young people each week but still happy with it