5.0 out of 5 stars literary and cultural studies
Having enjoyed "Jesus through Middle Eastern Eyes", I jumped at the chance to pre-order this book. I dug into it as soon as I received the shipment. I find it harder to read than the first, and far more literary/rhetorical, but full of insights and answers, so continue to work my way through.
In many ways, the church owes a lot to the Corinthians, because Paul had to...
Published on 17 Oct 2011 by molly dee

2.0 out of 5 stars Losing the will to live.
Published 17 months ago by Peter1

5.0 out of 5 stars literary and cultural studies, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes - Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians (Paperback)
In many ways, the church owes a lot to the Corinthians, because Paul had to tackle a lot of very practical problems in writing the book, so this volume comes as a wonderful perspective on the many issues raised by his writing. Especially helpful is the extensive structural and literary critique throughout, breaking the work into the units that the writing structure suggests, rather than by chapter and verse. This brings what seem like stray thoughts into a larger context.
In spite the similarity of title, the two works are very different: the Jesus book dealt with a person, his life, his context, his way of relating to people, and his sayings; the Paul book engages with one sample of his writing, and is as much a book about the writing itself as the ideas. I have recommended the Jesus book across a broad spectrum of people and nearly everyone, even just dipping into it, gets something out of it. The Paul book makes more demands of the reader in terms of concentration and educational background. I still recommend it highly, just not so widely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul through Mediterranean Eyes, 15 Nov 2011
This is an extremely good book, full of insight and learning and has been a great eye-opener for me. I would recommend it for anyone who wants a deeper insight into St Paul and his world.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you though you knew and understood 1 Corinthians well !, 26 July 2013
This is a genuine eye-opener! Ken Bailey, who lived and taught in the Middle East for 40+ years has used his outstanding knowledge of semitic and other languages and culture combined with an awesome understanding of the text to show that Paul, who had been schooled in the Rabbinical Tradition, wrote the first letter to the Corinthians using a carefully crafted format throughout. The sheer skill and effort required to achieve this make one realise how much Paul had been influenced by and benefitted from his training under Gamaliel and the other Jerusalem academics. Ken Bailey shows the beauty of the chiastic structure in this unbelievably well planned letter and shows how this was cross-referenced to the Hebrew Scriptures over and over again. His demonstrates recurrent references to contemporary life in the port city of Corinth at the same time as addressing the pastoral concerns in the local church whilst sending a general pastoral letter to other churches.

I have more admiration for Paul as an academically skilled apostolic writer than ever before and am grateful to Ken Bailey for this wonderful exposition. It is a must for anyone who wants understand the Pauline letters and Paul himself. He encourages the reader to re-examine the place of women in the church and head-covering and other subjects which often polarise opinion in the light of textual nuances and authorial intention in a refreshing way. At the same time he acknowledges and freely refers to the work of many other skilled commentators on the epistle, both from history (including sources unavailable to the average Western reader) and from the present.

This book is essential reading for anyone (academic or otherwise) who wants to read and understand the First Letter to the Corinthians with more than a basic and possibly prejudiced outlook. It should stimulate debate and encourage lively discussion in churches and colleges. It joins Ken Bailey's book "Jesus through MIddle Eastern Eyes" as a contemporary classic which brings new and essential light to understanding the New Testament.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed Worthwhile, 20 Sep 2012
K. J. Bute (UK Hampshire) - See all my reviews
I also found this book more difficult to read than the excellent 'Jesus through mediterranean eyes' but it was worth reading and was full of the usual wonderful cultural insights which add so much to the understanding of Biblical truth. It was fascinating and challenging to begin to understand there was an overall pattern to the book in a way that I had not even thought possible. He has added another dimension to my understanding!

2.0 out of 5 stars Losing the will to live., 19 Nov 2012
Bailey's book about Jesus was recommended to me so as my interest and specialism is Paul's letter to the Corinthians, I ordered this book without a second thought. I looked forward to the middle eastern insights. i searched in vain for some realistic middle eastern insights They may well have been there, but for me were totally obscured by the complete unreality of Bailey's proposed structure of the letter. After the umnpteenth lecture or sermon and the millionth cameo (a word I came to hate), I'm afraid I lost the will to live, even more so because every alleged cameo was, apparently, chiastic in form (usually after a little squeezing and stretching by Bailey). Eventually, I'm afraid I abandoned it and wished I'd borrowed a copy first.
Far from placing Paul and Corinth in their mediterranean context, I found Bailey's proposed structure of the letter highly unlikely for someone in Paul's circumstances, while his insights about life in the Corinthian church somewhat trite and old-hat when they were not also unlikely.

5.0 out of 5 stars A theological gem, 10 Jun 2013
A thoroughly readable, poetic and insightful window through which to view the culturally diverse world that gave us 1 Corinthians I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 28 Mar 2014
It is one thing to be a Paulinian specialist. What makes this book special is Bailey's unique feel of the Middleastern culture, his very own culture!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul through Mediterranean eyes., 12 Feb 2013
I have only studied the list of contents and taken out information that I required. I will certainly read the study later.

ARRAY(0xa73b3c30)

Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes - Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians
Paul Through Mediterranean Eyes - Cultural Studies in 1 Corinthians by Kenneth E. Bailey (Paperback - 23 Sep 2011)
11.55