5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the year
I've met David on a number of occasions as the self effacing husband of my local vicar... A really nice bloke... then I read this.... WOW !!!!
Published on 16 Aug 2012 by alasdair kay

1.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation of concerns
I am coming across the contemplative prayer phenomenon which is sweeping through the evangelical church right now. It was practiced a lot in the past, but more or less disappeared after the Reformation, and was only found amongst certain branches of Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches, particularly those of a mystical persuasion.

I have noticed a...
Published 19 months ago by Watchman Mee

5.0 out of 5 stars My book of the year, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Spirituality Workbook: A Guide for Explorers, Pilgrims and Seekers (New Edition) (Paperback)
Students at St Johns theological College had always said what a helpful writer, lecturer, and guide he was .. However I hadn't realized what a brilliant writer he is. I loved his insights for me as a Pentecostal into Pentecostal spirituality and the diversity and richness of the spirituality within this book is excellent.

So at last, a guide book for the new emerging church world we find ourselves in. This book lets you draw from ancient wells, honors your tradition and shows you that those on the other side of the fence aren't as dodgy as you were told ....

I have recommended this book to all my friends and especially those in Christian ministry. Enjoy and Apply !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spirituality Workbook, 16 Dec 2012
This book is a sound book to start one's spiritual journey, to be recommended to all who have begun their journey of faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 25 Oct 2013
J. Fisher "Skip Says" (UK) - See all my reviews
Was delivered quickly, easy to read book one of those you can put down and pick up again days later. Ideal for studying spirituality with plenty topic to think about..

5.0 out of 5 stars a source for moving on, 23 Aug 2013
Runcorn has proved his spiritual wisdom in previous writing. In this book he has brought together many different paths to Christian spirituality, so that the reader (no doubt confused by the many spiritual guides that exist) can find their own way towards a richer inner life

1.0 out of 5 stars Confirmation of concerns, 20 Jan 2013

I have noticed a number of prominent evangelical leaders promoting this approach, with a particular push from the Emergent churches, and although wary, I wanted to establish whether or not there was any Biblical support for contemplative prayer. I had already been pointed towards Richard Foster's "Celebration of Discipline", which is seen as somewhat of a Classic on the subject, and it has been afforded an authority. Un fortunately, in the chapter in which Foster tries to establish a Biblical basis for mysticism, all he displays is a gross misuse of scripture, taking verses out of context and inserting his own teachings into the scriptures, when they verses say nothing of the sort.

I had spoken to a prominent leader near where I live, and he had told me that contemplative prayer was thoroughly Biblical, and recommended this book to me as it would show me that Biblical basis.

The book is very pleasantly written, but there is actually virtually no teaching from scripture to provide such a basis. David Runcorn seems to start from the position that contemplative prayer is already part of Evangelicalism, and assumes that everybody will already know the Biblical basis for it. So once more, the whole practice is presented as a theological fait accompli, when I still haven't found such support.

The only teaching for contemplative prayer either gives no scriptural background at all, or misuses scripture and twiasts its meaning out of all proportion.

In terms of doing what I was told it would do, this book is very disappointing, although it does serve to confirm what I already believe to be the case, which is that contemplative prayer is unbiblical and is a great danger to the church.

6.99