‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lenten Feast, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Heart's Time - A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter (Paperback)
A few weeks ago I began looking around for a book that might help me walk my Lenten journey this year. I stumbled on JANET MORLEY'S "the heart's time - a poem a day for Lent and Easter".
I love poetry. As children we learned poems by heart and right through life I have found comfort, consolation, in poetic works, as Mary Oliver says poems provide the ability not just to look but to SEE, really SEE. Yes, poetry gives voice to an all embracing spirituality, gives voice to my search for belonging, gives voice to my deepest desires.
This text has a poem for each day. This text has a wide variety of voices; Chesterton, Hopkins, U.A. Fanthorpe, Donne and I have to exercise restraitn and stay with a poem a day.
And this is not just a text for the Lenten Season. It is a book for all seasons for those searching for a better balance between the Outer World with its daily demands and the Inner World where I find meaning for my True Self.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative approach to individual Lenten studies, 18 April 2012
J. M. Gagan - See all my reviews
This book from respected Methodist writer, Janet Morley, contains an interesting selection of poems from both religious and non-religious poets, and a thoughtful and stimulating commentary with a Lenten interpretation. As an alternative to 'giving something up' for Lent, acquiring this book (and using it for daily personal study) is to be recommended. I should have liked to have more biographical information about the poets, some of whom were unknown to me. Michael Gagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Lent book, 5 Mar 2012
Mrs. T. A. Hills (Chichester, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
Sometimes when you get to Advent or Lent, you get that same-old same-old feeling about the books. Not with this one though. It is the most amazing book I have had for several years. It is a joy to read each day, as every poem is different, and so is the feeling that you take away. A couple in particular have caught my attention and gripped me, thinking of "The Call" especially. Even if you don't like a specific poem, you still gain such a lot from the reading and the authors explanation or insight. As a Lent book it is terrific because it really stops you in your tracks and makes you think, and think properly. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart's time, 10 Mar 2014
The book arrived in excellent time and well packaged. It promises to be an excellent book for Lent.
BUT....the pages of the book are separating from each other and the whole set from the binding. I will
end up with a loose leaf folder.
The book binder needs to look at this weakness in production.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Heart's Time: A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter., 29 Feb 2012
This author never fails to open doors for the reader. This book of poems offers the reader an opportunity not only to consider in depth the meaning of each poem, one per day, but invites them to enter into the spirit at the heart of the poem and reflect on its meaning to them personally.For the Lent season it is a particular treasure. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to explore., 8 July 2014
Just what I need for my retreat with Janet Morley. So pleased with the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can be used as retreat material, 20 Jun 2014
I. Tarrant (Woodford, London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this too close to Easter to use as intended. But I took it with me on a personal retreat after Easter, and worked throught the latter part, at a rate of three chapters a day, to nurture my reflections and prayers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daily poetry for lent., 27 April 2014
So far I have only dipped into this book, but have been entranced by the poetry chosen and the very relevant commentary, to each poem. I look forward to using the book next year in lent, reading one poem each day. Meanwhile I shall continue to dip into the book from time to time as seems relevant

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously excellent, 3 April 2014
Finding this a very helpful resource through Lent. Janet Morley's choice of poems has introduced me to new ideas and her comments are very illuminating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily reading book, 2 April 2014
Excellent purchase, been using this year for lent and Easter period, very good daily read. Advices to any one to use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Heart's Time - A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter
The Heart's Time - A Poem a Day for Lent and Easter by Janet Morley (Paperback - 18 Nov 2011)
6.99