Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 19 July 2012
A good, wide-ranging discussion of a very difficult subject. There's plenty here for group discussion, but you will have to prepare your own materials. I did and this worked pretty well.
The writing is very clear, the argument convincing and all surprisingly entertaining. I felt it was especially strong on how heaven is already here and how we can feel it now.
Even though I am happier with a more traditional understanding of heaven I was never upset by the author's different views. Perhaps this is at times frustratingly Anglican - trying to remain within the Catholic tradition while being exploratory and contemporary.
on 26 December 2012
Paula Gooder has written an outstanding summary and reflection on the subject of heaven. She undergirds her writing with what the bible says of heaven, including sections on heavenly creatures such as cherubim and seraphim. This is all considered in light of understanding that has evolved with tradition over the centuries.
The book is well researched and is based on sound scholarship yet is written in a very accessible style.
on 14 July 2014
I thought this This book was well worth reading. It focuses on the biblical view of heaven and its importance in the divine economy, and has several very helpful chapters which broadened my thinking about heaven as the place where God reigns within his creation, and from where He and the Angels interact with the earth. (It also tackles what happens to us when we die, although only relatively briefly). The book has lots of worthwhile insights, so if you would like to widen your understanding of heaven I think this is a good place to start. I haven't given it 5 stars because I think it really needs a health warning that it isn't mainly about what happens to us when we die - that may seem a little harsh but i think there is a risk people might buy it for the wrong reasons if they rely on the title alone.
Like most Christians I suspect I have a fairly simple understandiong of what Heaven means (until now). Mainly as Heaven comes after death and death is not a thing we like to talk about is it ?

Dr Gooder does not spent that much time on the subject of death after all it is something we pass through on the way to heaven.

This book introduces the reader to the Jewish idea of heaven and how the Christian world has changed this vison. I have read this book twice and gained so much.

Really Really good.
on 25 November 2011
This is a very good scholarly book which is most helpful in understanding the scriptural background to a belief in heaven and any theological understandings about what heaven might actually be like. Read it!
on 29 June 2013
This really made me think about what I think about heaven. Paula is so good at putting things across clearly. This is an excellent study of the biblical evidence and a vital and timely offering to a world longing for something better. Would make a very good course eg for Advent. Thanks Paula.
on 1 August 2015
Wow! This has certainly got me thinking. Paula unpicks what the bible actually says about heaven and challenges the beliefs generally heal avlout it "being somewhere we go when we die".
on 30 June 2013
This book made very interesting reading and I agree that heaven is about the here and now. I am glad she included some history but there was too much about tradition and not what the Scripture said.
on 26 April 2013
Reading 'heaven' was easy and satisfying. Not a dull religious book but a lively well-constructed read which was compelling and informative. Each chapter covered a topic with expertise that was both enlightening and enjoyable. A book to make you think. It manages to link biblical scholarship with modern thinking and knowledge. Two pictures came out well on my kindle as part of the text. Good to dip into - I expect to read it again.
on 5 November 2014
Easy to read on the Kindle. Being able to access the footnotes from within the text is particularly helpful. Paula Gooder's writing is very accessible and this is a fascinating topic..