Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 21 June 2010
The faith of the church, although eternally rooted, must be told afresh for each new generation. In this weighty little volume, Bishop Michael of Gloucester unpacks the essentials of God with energy and real usefulness. The nature of God, worship, prayer, missional dynamics, values, heaven and earth are all covered! This is readable, accessible and wisely rooted in the real world. The unconditionally giving nature of God embracing us, threads through this book warmly and well. This a helpful addition in the marketplace about core truths in life and faith.
on 26 July 2010
Each chapter of this book stands on its own.
Michael Perham is open about his own views/thoughts. He does not hold back.
It is written in a way that is easy to read.
I read it when I was on a persoanl retreat and found it comforting and thought provoking.
on 4 March 2014
Michael's style is almost conversational; gentle but very carefully considered, and the chapters are structured to provoke personal reflection.
I have never before read any 'religious' book, but Michael Perham's Christmas Day sermon was so good, I trawled the extracts available on Amazon and chose this book. I have been quietly delighted with his views -reassured that my approach to prayer is along the same lines as he suggests. He has fascinating views on personal and collective worship, every opinion supported by apposite biblical quotes - the whole book is just so sensible!
An excellent read with Lent in mind.
on 6 January 2013
I gave this book a high rating as it was easy and a pleasure to read and gave me a new angle to talk about in class. It's a great book for those just entering in to the world of Christian theology or can be read as an interesting book on its own. Delivery was quick which is another bonus for me.