4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 3 Sep 2011
John Usher (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
I'm guessing that a lot of people, like me, will buy a copy of Goldingay's Genesis for Everyone Part 1 having been inspired to do so by the successful New Testament for Everyone series by Tom Wright. I'm also guessing that a lot of people, like me, will be wondering one thing: are Goldingay's Old Testament commentaries as good as Wright's New Testament commentaries? Well, I've read Mathew for everyone parts 1 & 2 and I'm half way through Mark for Everyone. I've also nearly finished Genesis for Everyone Part 1. I actually read Goldingay in the evening and Wright in the morning, (my wife reads Goldingay in the morning and Wright in the evening).

In my humble opinion, yes, Goldingay's commentaries are as good as Wright's. In fact, at times, I would think that I was reading Tom Wright only to realise with a start that it was in fact Goldingay. I like Genesis for Everyone because Goldingay is that terrific breed of Christian writer: a trustworthy scholar, with a critical eye but tempered with genuine faith that ensures he is never unnecessarily or overly deconstructive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new series, 9 May 2011
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
Following the pattern of the "For Everyone" New Testament commentaries by Tom Wright, the series generates an original translation in sections suitable for daily reading, followed by a contemporary illustration and a short commentary.

John Goldingay writes in a gentle, gracious and scholarly way taking us through the creation story to Abraham. He faces the issues from a conservative perspective, whilst showing respect to those of other perspectives.

He treats the material in hand as having the capacity to be knowledge, knowledge that has faced postmodernist as well as liberal and fundamentalist critiques. He treats the OT text, scholarly knowledge and the interests of "everyone" with respect and understanding.

Goldingay is new to me and he seems to me to be, like William Barclay for the New Testament, a great scholar with an ability, often through quite sensitive personal illustrations, to communicate great insights, both personal and scholarly, to an "everyone" audience.

I learnt a great deal from his writing and look forward to reading the volumes that follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bible for Everyone Old Testament, 29 May 2010
David Williams "David Williams" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
If you have enjoyed Tom Wright's Bible for Everyone New Testament series (and if you haven't sampled then you must!!) and wondered what is going to happen about covering the Old Testament, then this first volume of the Old Testament series will in no way disappoint you. As with Wright's volumes on the New Testament, Goldingay provides his own translation of the text followed by a wonderful commentary on the passage, with Gensis split into bite-size (Bible study-sized, Quiet-time sized) chunks. Each section of commentary starts, as do Tom Wright's with an incisive, entertaining, thought provoking entry into the passage, followed by a discussion of what the passage means for today. As well as providing a valuable way of reading through the text, there are really novel insights into the message contained therein.

Take the tricky issue of man's dominion over the earth, over the animals in Genesis chapter 1. Does this mean that the earth is there for man's benefit and that alone? Goldingay wonderfully disarms such a suggestion by pointing out that God doesn't mention creating man until Friday lunchtime - and as he says we all know the concerns over cars made on a Friday afternoon don't we! Not the sort of comment one might expect from a commentary from Von Rad or from Wenham, but a great amusing new way of looking at that problematic issue in the first chapter of the book.

I have to admit I've just got into the book and haven't read it all the way through yet. But just as I have revelled in Wright's comments on the Gospel of John or Paul's Letter to the Ephesians, and can't wait for his book on Revelation or the letters of St John, I am so looking forward to the rest of the two volumes on Genesis and then the rest of the Old Testament. A huge task Professor Goldingay, but one I so look forward to you tackling - thank you for taking it on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome addition to library, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
This book is easy to read and is very informative and helpful in trying to understand the complexities of the first book of the Torah

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
A good commentary although I don't always agree with what Goldingay says, it does have very useful insights. Worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Series - well written, intelligent and readable, 5 April 2013
Peter Lloyd (Malta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
Having completed reading the New Testament for Everyone by Tom Wright (and before that the wonderful new daily bible study books by William Barclay) I have now moved on to the Old Testament by John Goldingay and have just completed Joshua, Judges and Ruth for Everyone. I am doing this to complement my separate daily reading of the bible itself. I have found the series excellent. Godlingay normally relates a story drawn from his own life and experience to develop the point found in the daily reading so it is a bit like listening to a good sermon. While I am well read in terms of christian reading I am not a theologian and find the level it is pitched at just right for me. Perhaps as another reviewer has said, it is not sufficiently in depth for a serious theology scholar but for anyone like me who wants a well written, intelligent and readable explanation of the Old Testament books I can happily recommend these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal study group material, 12 Sep 2012
revroy "diyrev" (Puddletown, Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 (Paperback)
We have just bought a number of copies of John's book for our home group bible study here in Puddletown. The text is immediately accessible and down to earth. I might be biased because I had the privilege of being taught Old Testament by John while a student at St John's College, Nottingham. However, this book gives a really good, down to earth and understandable study of Genesis. Our study group is of folk of mature years and fairly traditional Anglican. They loved the first session we did and are keen to proceed with the study. If you are looking to use this book for personal study it will not disappoint. If you are planning to buy a number for a group study, as we have done, you will be please with John's approachable but seriously scholarly style. We have been using William Barclay for our New Testament studies and I would not hesitate in putting this volume alongside Barclay for making the scriptures accessible.

Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16
Genesis for Everyone: Part 1 chapters 1-16 by John Goldingay (Paperback - 15 April 2010)
6.99