1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful introduction to Kierkegaard, 30 Dec. 2011
I read this book about 3 years ago, when I was 16 years old.
I found reading Kierkegaard a bit difficult (I started with 'Fear and Trembling')
But is was extremely interested in his writings and his life in general.
Peter Vardy provides a fantastic introduction to Kierkegaards life and teachings.
I learnt so much from this book looking back at it now, and I flick through the book now and again to remind myself of the fantastic messages Kierkegaard presented to humanity. It was a good time to philosophise and think about the issues that Kierkegaard raised.

Vardy outlines the several key points which Kierkegaard focused on during his lifetime through his works.
Such as the notion which faith is greater than reason, which is commonly rejected today, but this is an essential maxim to understand.
Kierkegaard's genius in his 'Three Stages of Life' (aesthetic, ethical and religious) where he tackles the problems which the aesthetic and ethical which leads to despair where the religious remains the highest and worthy.
Kierkegaard has a presents Abrahams sacrifice to of Isaac and analyses it in various angles to study the notion of living in a relationship with God, presenting Abraham the title of 'the Knight of Faith'.
Works of Love is presented and broken down for the reader to understand the unconditional love of Christianity.
But alongside this is the superb life story of Kierkegaard himself, who continues to be a influential figure to society today.

Yes the book is highly theistic and speaks much of Christian ideals, but Kierkegaard's work is considered to be pivotal in existential thought and Christian theology.
I learnt a lot from this book, it has helped me develop as a person and consider whether I am living a life true to myself or not.
Peter Vardy being a fantastic author, I cannot stress how well he has present Kierkegaard in the book.
This is the best introduction on Kierkegaard I have read and I recommend it to everyone of all ages.

The SPCK Introduction to Kierkegaard
The SPCK Introduction to Kierkegaard by Peter Vardy (Paperback - 18 Sept. 2008)