on 20 April 2008
McGrath has made an important and provocative contribution to the understanding of the nature and potential of Protestantism, in its widest sense. He weaves a fulsome tale of history and theology, integrating disparate characters from across nearly 500 years with ample references to further resources. Importantly, he is bang up to date and includes sufficient material on areas of the church that academic readers may know less about. I am full of admiration for the overall quality of writing that combines a high level of inclusive critical reflection with a sufficiently engaging story telling style that kept me towards the front of my seat. I knew I needed to read this book, and to study it carefully; it turned out to be a delight. I would like to have seen more quotations to support some of the points, so more reading will be necessary. As a biologist, I have to say I found the biological metaphors as the weakest feature of the book, but if these are left on one side, this is a plausible and highly constructive contribution to the development of dialogue between Christians who want to push foward their faith and relationships with each other in our global society. Although McGrath says the work is non academic it is sufficiently accessible and neutral to appeal to policy makers and professionals of any background who need to understand the nature and potential of Protestantism as an increasingly influential feature of the 21st century world.
on 24 January 2013
Alister McGrath is a real expert on many issues of Science & theology and has a good clear mind. This is a book I really want to read having bought it. It gives a real insight into the power of the Reformation.