4.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing Places in Britain's countryside
Published on 14 Aug 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of photographs.
Potentially it's a good book with 550 recomendations of places to visit within the British Countryside, however it falls short in that it only has 110 photographs of these places and some of those photo's are nothing to write home about. With a more pictures and the odd map to off the beaten track locations I would give it a five star rating.
Published 1 month ago by Gt Pattison

4.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing Places in Britain's countryside, 14 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Most Amazing Places to Visit in Britain's Countryside (Readers Digest) (Paperback)
I bought this book and it's companion volume because as a home educating family we are always on the lookout for interesting (and hopefully cheap) places to visit and we are going to start camping holidays this year. This book has beautiful photographs and many interesting and often out of the way places to visit outdoors. I enjoyed reading the historical perspectives and the descriptions left me wanting to experience places for myself.
I did find that the referencing was a bit confusing, ie each map has a colour code but 3 or more dots of the same colour on a map (but different parts of an area) have the same number.
Readers Digest books never seem to lack colour and information and this one is a hearty read too. (I shall have something to do whilst I'm stuck in my tent in the pouring rain!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Discovering places in Britain to photograph, 7 Oct 2010
I bought this book to help me find some exciting places to photograph in Great Britain. As an amateur photographer it isn't always easy to find somewhere new to go. Although as a result of buying this and in the same series - "The Most Amazing Places to Visit in Britain" - I have recently visited the Giant's Causeway and the Antrim coastline in Northern Ireland - fantastic and breath taking scenery.......

The book is good in that there are lots of great places to visit, and it does give comprehensive background information about the various destinations; my only criticism - and it is fairly minor, is that a few more photographs would have been better.

That said, I have bought three more from the series and they are all useful sources of information.

Great value. Buy it at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, photographed and thorough, 8 July 2011
A great resource for researching photographic locations and days out with the family. I have 2 copies and leave 1 in the car so that I always have it available on trips. The images in the book are exquisite and all from well known names and the writing is creative and interesting...unlike the coastal book from the same series.

Buy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of photographs., 23 Oct 2014
Gt Pattison "huscarl" (London England) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 5 May 2014
Truly not worth gettin g unless you are planning on walking around Britain. We didn't use it once on our caravan tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing amazing places, 12 Dec 2013
I originally bought one book to give as a present, but loved it that much I kept it for myself, and then ordered more for friends and relations. Great reference book to dip in to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 24 July 2013
I have quite a few of the books in this series and this like all the others does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent visual summary of exceptional places, 7 May 2013
Sally Garrington (Shrewsbury, UK) - See all my reviews
A good guide to rural places in the Uk to visit with photos and descriptions to enable you not to miss exceptional locations as you travel round Britain

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 11 Feb 2013
Paul Heaton (England) - See all my reviews
An interesting read giving many ideas for places to visit with insights into those areas. Good to take with you on holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 6 Feb 2012
Bought it for my brother-in-law for Christmas and he was chuffed to bits with it. He has just retired and thought the book would be a great inspiration for planning trips around the UK.

The Most Amazing Places to Visit in Britain's Countryside (Readers Digest)
Used & New from: £0.01