5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - does the job brilliantly
An excellent DIY book - so far it's covered everything I've wanted to do, in depth, but with sufficient simplicity.
Much better than the B&Q book 'You can do it', which I purchased at the same time and which only seems to cover the things that are covered in the instructions that come with whatever you buy.
Published on 2 Jun 2010 by A. Arthur

2.0 out of 5 stars Readers Digest DIY manual
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by David Bailey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Readers Digest DIY manual, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
First let me say that I am an ageing and experienced DIYer. I have used earlier versions of this book for many years and found them useful and reliable. I have plumbed in a complete bathroom twice, rewired a flat and a house and tiled and decorated. I have fitted a kitchen as well as done all the other things like fitting up shelves and so on. The earlier versions of this publication have been of great use to me.

I bought this book in advance of release as I was moving to a new house and I felt that my experience of 1960s and earlier properties would be inadequate to encompass modern building methods. I have to say that I have been disappointed in what this book has to offer. Perhaps nowadays, with all the restrictions on what an unqualified homeowner can do for themselves only an overview is now relevant, but even this seems to be lacking in parts of this book.

I discovered that I had a sealed central heating system. The book says it is very similar to a vented system and gives it a paragraph, it isn't. It is in fact significantly more complicated as I have found by searching the web. There is no mention at all of dab and board construction (dab and dot) despite the considerable problems I had getting fixings in this type of wall, no help was available from the manual. It was as if this type of common modern construction hadn't even been introduced.

The electrical advice, although accurate, is far from comprehensive and misses out so many DIY jobs yet it goes into detail on outside lighting, kitchen and bathroom work, which must now be professionally certified and is therefore hardly worth the trouble of a DIYer who will have to pay as much for certification as they will for the job to be done by a professional in the first place.

All in all this book has not been very well planned and is far from comprehensive, I cannot therefore recommend it to any householder, be they a keen DIYer, a beginner or just someone who wants to know enough to talk intelligently to tradesmen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Updated, but not comprehensive!, 11 July 2009
B. Davies (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
I've used previous editions of this manual extensively, and have recommended it to many friends as a vital DIY reference manual.
I was looking forward to upgrading my copy to the latest, given so many changes in electrical regulations.
The updated electrics section is indeed excellent - even if a large part is academic only with current building regulations requiring qualified electricians to do or check and sign off the work - points wisely clearly discussed by the editors.

All well and good, until I realised that much older material has been rationalised - the sash window maintenance section is heavily reduced - there is no longer anything (apart from a mention) on spiral balance windows. I'm not sure how the editors can justify cutting the real DIY stuff down, for more features on "green things" etc. Surely the core DIY maintenance stuff is the most important feature of the book, and should not be compromised?

A winning formula should probably have just been updated, as opposed to re-written - the old layouts were near perfect.
That said, it's still a good book. Just don't think you can throw away the old editions - they have more in them!

No idea what's on the CD-Rom - not really ideal for DIY - you can't have a computer kicking around a workshop for reference. I must have a look and see if subjects are covered with more depth on it though!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good with reservations, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
the sellers delivery date was great, arrived before the due date.....however the accompanying disk was not compatible with Mac so was useless to me. Another gripe regarding this book is the amount of jargon that is used and not explained, this leaves the reader confused and not willing to read further. I would not recommend this book for a novice although it is advertised as such. It was a waste of my menu really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - does the job brilliantly, 2 Jun 2010
A. Arthur (High Wycombe, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, useful guide., 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
Excellent guide with plenty of illustrations and explanations of seemingly all aspects of each job. I'm a DIY novice but am far more confident following the step-by-step processes. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, 16 Jan 2011
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
My daughter is buying her first house in a few weeks time and lives away from home so she needed a good clear comprehensive guide to home maintenance and improvement. This product provided just that. The photos are excellent and descriptions very clear and not too basic. It does cover advanced topics too which is useful for deciding whether you can tackle them yourself or get a professional to do it. The CD rom is a real bonus providing demos of many practical techniques, saving hours of reading. At less than half the shop price and very prompt free delivery during the pre-Xmas rush I was extremely pleased with the service. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Quality, 19 July 2010
Mr. Roy L. Oldfield (Middlesex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
For the first time DIYer, like my son - very good quality with plenty of guidance

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy book, 3 Jun 2010
J. A. Pickersgill (Gloucester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
This is my first DIY book, and after reading the reviews I though I'd give it a go and to be fair, I'm glad that I read the reviews as it's a good book. It is packed with lots of diagrams, clear instructions and lots of tips and advice. The only drawback is that some sections are a little complicated and a little prior knowledge would be useful. Would recommend this book to any budding DIYer and tradesman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Did it himself, 8 Mar 2013
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
bought this for my hubby, the one he had was really out of date.
This is excellent in showing you how to do things and gives many tips and hints
I gave this 4 stars because it was excellent value for money

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING MUST HAVE BOOK!!, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: DIY Manual (Readers Digest) (Hardcover)
This book is a must-have for anyone living in their own home and interested in doing some DIY! It is amazing, providing step by step directions on just about every basic DIY technique there is out there! My grandparents have the original version of this, my parents have the 70s version and we have this latest edition and to be honest, not a great deal has changed in the methods, it's just much more easy to read/understand now! If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in attempting to do some DIY around the house....you'll be amazed what you can learn! I've started buying it for friends getting married or moving home now too....not the most exciting gift but you'll be amazed how many people really have appreciated and used it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

DIY Manual (Readers Digest)
DIY Manual (Readers Digest) by Reader's Digest (Hardcover - 27 Mar 2009)
15.99